Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post

Do I like it?: Oh my gosh, yes. Most days, at least. Some days the kids drive me batty, but 9 times out of 10 I come home busting up laughing at something they did or said. Proof: http://middleschoolsafari.blogspot.com/ It is a ton of work--I was at school for almost 12 hours today, came home and put in another 2--but the rewards when a kid *gets it* are incredible.
I'm so glad you posted that again. I've spent the last twenty minutes laughing my butt off.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I'm so glad you posted that again. I've spent the last twenty minutes laughing my butt off.

Whenever I have a frustrating day, I go back and read it. It never fails to cheer me up!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

-What do you do for a living? Right now I am an EMT, but I'm still in school working towards a degree in Biology.
-Do you like it? I love it, but I am preparing to burn out at some point within the next 15-20 years. It's not really a viable long-term plan for me.
-Did you need a degree for it? Sort of. There's an intense certification course before you are allowed to work.

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
What I do: I teach middle school algebra and algebra remediation

Do I like it?: Oh my gosh, yes. Most days, at least. Some days the kids drive me batty, but 9 times out of 10 I come home busting up laughing at something they did or said. Proof: http://middleschoolsafari.blogspot.com/ It is a ton of work--I was at school for almost 12 hours today, came home and put in another 2--but the rewards when a kid *gets it* are incredible.

Do you need a degree for it? Yes, and most places are leaning towards requiring a masters within a few years of starting.

How I ended up here: It was a roundabout path. I have undergraduate degrees in information systems and operations management (basically giant integrated computer systems and how to optimize them). I worked for a big 4 consulting firm for 4ish years building enterprise software systems for the military. Realized I was miserable, and that I didn't need the money anymore since I had stability in my husband (which is a huge blessing, I know), so I finally got up the guts to go back to school on the weekends for my masters and make the career switch. It's been awesome.
hahahah thanks for posting your blog, good stuff! I'm kind of looking into elementary education right now, we'll see how far I get with that. But your blog and all the witty comments make middle school age sound interesting LOL.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Top Dog

-What do you do for a living? Assistant lab manager, but only until the end of next week; I'm starting grad school.
-Do you like it? Yes, I adore it.
-Did you need a degree for it? Yes.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
hahahah thanks for posting your blog, good stuff! I'm kind of looking into elementary education right now, we'll see how far I get with that. But your blog and all the witty comments make middle school age sound interesting LOL.
You really have to have a love for them...they're seriously like another species. But if you have the heart, it's a blast! (But you'll get tons of cute stories from little guys too, if you go the elementary route!)
Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Top Dog

-What do you do for a living? Software Programmer/System Admin
-Do you like it? Meh. I like programming most of the time but I hate a lot of the associated bullshit that comes with my job. It's better now that I'm doing two jobs - the team I've switched to is a much better fit for me. I really don't like the instability of programming, it's one of the first jobs to be outsourced when things go to hell. I'm hoping to switch fully over to System Admin when a position opens up.
-Did you need a degree for it? At the place I work you could technically use experience instead of a degree but I don't know anyone that's been hired on without a degree. And you can't be promoted past a certain level without a bachelors and then, at a higher level, a masters.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 09-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Blackout

-What do you do for a living? Freelance interior designer/architectural assistant
-Do you like it? Absolutely love it - I wish there was more work though!
-Did you need a degree for it? For the former it helps but depends on your client base/design firm you are working with and individual methods - a great deal of my mentors at the firm were self taught or went to art school and they are incredible. For the latter usually yes - I only have a architectural minor and can get by - even though I work closely with the architectural teams on projects I usually stick to the design side of things as it's my strong point. Honing my skills for architecturally oriented work though.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-06-2012, 08:19 AM
BusterLove

I am currently a Food Sevice/Bar Attendant at a pub, was Functions Manager up until recently but getting paid for 45 hous a week to do 55 hours a week, mostly split shifts and always nights, cancelling every dog interest I had to be at work didn't appeal to me any longer so I'm back to casual now and looking for something with animals.
NO, I do not like it anymore. I like the fast paced side of hospitality, I like the people I work with and I love our locals but I am sick of the hours, never knowing when I will finish and because I'm one of the most experiences casuals there we get a lot of extra responsibility for no extra money all too often. I kinda want to see what happen after the end of this year, the top 5 casuals they rely on to keep everything running smoothly are finishing uni or getting into another line of work in the next 3 months or so. (Myself included)

Toying with the idea of vet nursing again.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 AM
such sights to show you

-What do you do for a living? Veterinarian
-Do you like it? Most of the time I love it, sometimes I wonder what I was thinking
-Did you need a degree for it? Yes