Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 12-29-2005, 11:04 AM
Fila Love

A couple of years ago we were at a hotel. We had Maggie with us. Another woman was there with her toy poodle. Maggie wanted to see the poodle. This woman yanks her dog by the leash and does this snarl at Maggie and says "humph". I looked at Maggie and said "Maggie get away from that dog, it might give you fleas". Needless to say the woman stormed off. Samething happend with my fox terrier years ago and another toy poodle owner. I can't stand uppity dog owners. A lady at petsmart thought Brutus was a mixed breed. But a pretty mixed breed. lol
Old 12-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Super-Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress
Ouch! Quit poking me, or I'll tell Grammy on you!
Bites tounge....

Quote:
Oh well, I'll start using the more PC "mixed breed."
Ummm, NO. I can assure you that if it is "PC", I am against it. LOL

They are MUTTS and we LOVE them.

/rant
Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:38 AM
tessa_s212

UKC does stand for United Kennel Club. It is a reputable registry just as the AKC. It holds its own Conformatin shows, Agility trials, Obedience trials, Weight Pulls, and even some kind of ratting comptitions.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:40 AM
yuckaduck

Three main registry's who are equal to each other:

UKC united kennel club
AKC american kennel club
CKC canadian kennel club

be sure not to mix CKC with continental kennel club....otherwise known as the con club.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:14 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Yes, and the woman I encountered believed that ALL dogs not AKC registered were mutts. She approached me to compliment my cocker, and asked if Carly was a Shih Tzu. I said yes, and she asked what kind of a dog I was fostering at the time -Ginger, if any of you remember- and I said we weren't sure but probably a pit bull mix. She wrinkled he nose and said 'Oh, a mutt. I'd keep her away from my purebred dogs if they were as pretty as yours. If its not AKC, I won't own it' I starred at her with my mouth open before I finally said that Carly wasn't AKC, that she was a foster that I adopted, and while Maddie has the papers TO be AKC registered I never sent them in, so she isn't registered She relized what she said wasn't quite right and left quickly.

Edit: The sad thing is I've met a woman that was convinced wolves are mutts because there isn't any way of tracking how there bred

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o

Last edited by Brattina88; 12-29-2005 at 12:16 PM. Reason: The sad thing is I've met a woman that was convinced wolves are mutts because there isn't any way of tracking how there bred :rolleyes:
Old 12-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Super-Genius

All I can say is I can't WAIT for the day when I encounter one of these people in a store. Is that the same thing as trolling? LOL
Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

For starters, dogs never started out as purebred dogs that we have now. All dogs started as Mongrels, or some may say "Mutts" or "races" of dogs. All purebred breeding means is that you have mixed breeds and have inbred until you get a desired look and drive. I could start a new purebred dog and register with a kennel club as soon as I can show on paper/generations etc. that I have created this. Purebred breeding has only been around for about 100 years, and we are seeing the genetic hardship this has put on dogs...it's truly quite sad.

So, basically all a purebred dog is...an "Inbred Mixed breed". There are a few "natural" breeds in the world and some of these have never been recognized by kennel clubs...and they would actually be natural purebred dogs and much more pure than the AKC or CKC purebred dogs.

Just because a breed is recognized by a kennel club does not mean it's not a mixed breed...99.9% of purebred dogs are mixed, mixed, mixed mongrels.

I truly get offended when show people "think" purebred dogs are better than Mongrels....when I know that Mongrels are much better and have a better gene pool. I am not a fan of most purebred breeding, especially in breeds with few founder dogs. Most people talking about dogs without a pedigree refer to them as "Mutts"...almost in a sneering manner. I started referring to my purebred dogs as "inbred Mutts" just to counteract this.

There have been cases in the past where purebred breeders in order to save their breed have discreetly done some cross breeding to create a larger gene pool.. It's easy to fool the kennel clubs. This has been done with Siberian Huskies, Collies, Shelties etc.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:14 PM
RedyreRottweilers

UKC is the United Kennel Club http://www.ukcdogs.com

UKC is the second oldest dog registry in the US, not far behind the AKC. They do recognize many breeds which the AKC does not.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

yes and I am always shocked that the Uk kennel club doesnt have half of the breeds that some other regesterys have
Old 12-29-2005, 05:46 PM
Top Dog

Your breed is better off being recognized by a more lenient kennel club rather than AKC or Canadian Kennel Club. These 2 clubs scare the heck out of me.