Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 12-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Walks into Mordor

Angry "If it's not AKC, it's a mutt"

I was walking Zeus at a nearby playground, and a young girl (about 12) and her mother came up to see Zeus. The girl asked what kind of dog he was. I said a blackmouth cur. She said she's never seen one in dog shows before. I said that they weren't an AKC breed. The mom smiled and said, "Oh, so he's a mutt. If it's not in the AKC, it's a mutt." Then they walked off before I could say anything.

Now, I couldn't care less what these people think of Zeus. But that attitude amazes me. And what's sad is that she's not the only person I met who thinks that way.

I know it's only ignorance, but it still bothers me. Anybody else encounter anything like this? Or have any ideas as to what I can say to people who think that way?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Show Dog

I think there is a lot of reg that are bad and dont mean much. But just because you dog isnt AKC doesnt mean hes a mutt. What is he reg under?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:06 AM
tessa_s212

I have met a few people like this. And it frustrates me how every one thinks AKC is some kind of god.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:16 AM
Walks into Mordor

Blackmouth cur is UKC. But wow, going by that woman's logic, I was just thinking how many dozens of breeds out there are really "mutts". Catahoula leopard dogs, Filas, APBTs, etc.....
Old 12-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Happy

It's just an honest mistake, but a polite woman would have simply nodded. Maybe she thought your dog was a mutt and you were a lying braggart, but unless she's got some secret trauma about mislabelled dog breeds, why is it important enough to be rude to you? Though to be fair, a breed name with the word 'cur' in it is going to confuse people.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Super-Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress
Or have any ideas as to what I can say to people who think that way?

"It takes 42 muscles to frown.... 22 to smile... but only 4 to extend your middle finger."

Dog snobs are the lamest kind of snobs out there AND usually rather easy to mess with too. BONUS! I mean, how can a person be snobby about DOGS?
Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:34 AM
Super-Genius

Also, just for the record... I am none too pleased with the context in which the word "mutt" is being used here. You are making it sound like MUTTS are bad things.

LOL

Poke...Poke....
Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:37 AM
no touchy

I can't remember anyone saying such a thing as that to me, but I have noticed that some purebred owners will act as if they are higher than a mutt owner and their dog. I have a purebred and a mutt and they're awesome dogs. I think it's stupid when people act higher than others and constantly brag.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Top Dog

Stupid question, but what does UKC stand for? I never even knew that some dogs are not recognized by the AKC but are recognized by the UKC... I feel less stupid now
Old 12-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop31
Poke...Poke....
Ouch! Quit poking me, or I'll tell Grammy on you!

LoL, nah, I have nothing against mutts. I don't know why people seem to think the word "mutt" is derrogatory. Oh well, I'll start using the more PC "mixed breed."

Fran, I believe the UKC stands for United Kennel Club. I'm not sure; I don't know much about it.