Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Obey the Toad.

DH dropped the dogs off this afternoon at the small animal vet to be boarded. They like the staff, Sally knows them, and they both go off with the staff happily when we drop them off, but I still worry.

We also took Pickles to be boarded at the bird vet. She is doing so much better but we are still keeping her very warm, and I also didn't feel comfortable leaving her for a full 24 hours. I booked the incubator cage. I had to explain to the tech 274758828 times that I wanted her in that cage because it was HEATED, and I wanted it at 80 degrees, like we've been keeping her at home. Then she was all "Well the cage is at 70 degrees so she should be fine." Nope. It will not be fine. The entire reason I asked to have her in that cage in the first place is to have her very warm-as in 80 degrees. Then she wasn't sure if they could do that. Then the vet confirmed that they could, then the tech wasn't sure if it would be an extra charge and had to call the office manager. This is not brain surgery. Turn temperature up to 80 degrees, place bird in cage, feed and water bird daily-not complicated.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:10 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
I am twitching. Today at work was absolutely terrible and I have to do it again tomorrow with even MORE dogs. I'm just.... I just want to cry right now. Can't wait till the holiday rush is over. I swear if I hear another dog bark I'm going to stick a fork in my brain and scramble it. Whoever says people who work at boarding kennels get to have fun and play with dogs all day needs to sit on a stick and spin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
Sing it sister! We had 46 drop offs today, and fun that included 4 mollys, 6 Lucys, 3 dumps in the lobby, and a dog bite that required animal control to come in. Someone will be spending thanksgiving in rabies quarentine.

No, you do ot wish you had my job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
It's like the people that come into our shelter and go on about how they'd bring them all home if they could, and how can we stand not bringing all of them home. Oh trust me... if you worked with some of them day in/day out you'd have NO PROBLEM leaving them there.
So glad I am no longer a kennel technician. So, so, so glad. I miss some of the dogs...but I don't miss most of them. LOL

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 11-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Ya we had one dog show up without a reservation because the owner didn't know he had to make a reservation. We don't turn people away though so we took his dog. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. I'm the shift supervisor and I love my position but I hate having to manage a shift on days like today when I'm stressed out and have to put on a smile and hold it together.

To add **** to the fire.... I just got home and went into my bathroom because I had to pee badly. Power went out so I'm just sitting here in my bathroom in the dark. What next?
Old 11-27-2013, 08:50 PM

Oh and Cricket peed and pooped on the floor while I was at work. Wonderful.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
I am twitching. Today at work was absolutely terrible and I have to do it again tomorrow with even MORE dogs. I'm just.... I just want to cry right now. Can't wait till the holiday rush is over. I swear if I hear another dog bark I'm going to stick a fork in my brain and scramble it. Whoever says people who work at boarding kennels get to have fun and play with dogs all day needs to sit on a stick and spin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
Sing it sister! We had 46 drop offs today, and fun that included 4 mollys, 6 Lucys, 3 dumps in the lobby, and a dog bite that required animal control to come in. Someone will be spending thanksgiving in rabies quarentine.

No, you do ot wish you had my job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
It's like the people that come into our shelter and go on about how they'd bring them all home if they could, and how can we stand not bringing all of them home. Oh trust me... if you worked with some of them day in/day out you'd have NO PROBLEM leaving them there.
I miss the 'busy', I always liked running the dogs and having a nice, tad stressy day...but I HATED when it was so busy it was chaos. All of a sudden all of the incoming dogs are here, and the outgoing dogs haven't left yet, and someone inevitably called in sick, and there are dogs in bathrooms and crates and offices... yeah. And the next day you walk in, thinking it will be busy but quiet since it's closed.. it reeks of dogs that are unfamiliar with boarding having stress diarrhea, someone else called in, it starts raining, things are a MESS and aren't getting done properly because so many dogs.

Yeah, don't miss that . I do miss working in kennels in general though.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Top Dog

oh boy, yeah I dont miss working at the kennel over the holidays lol. I mean parts were fun but SO exhausting, physically and mentally.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
So glad I am no longer a kennel technician. So, so, so glad. I miss some of the dogs...but I don't miss most of them. LOL
This. I feel for all of you who have to work kennels this time of year. I go to work tomorrow and take care of the same animals I take care of all year long - animals I know, and most of them I trust (there are two snakes and a scorpion I do NOT trust one bit). They're quiet. The noisiest ones are the prairie dogs, and there are only two of them, and it's adorable when they make their greeting call to me in the morning.

Mostly, I'm just glad I don't have to go in at night before dinner, delaying dinner, and walk all the dogs in the cold and the wind. At this point, only our rabbits are outside, and it's not windy in our outdoor animal area since it's got privacy fence on all sides.

My vent: PEOPLE ARE ****ING CRAZY. Are we done with the holiday season yet? Logan wasn't working as much at this point last year, so I didn't go out as much...and when I did go out, I didn't have a crazy-magnet with me. Either that, or people are just getting dumber every year.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Top Dog

I work at a vet, but I'm off for Thanksgiving this year. (New Year's Eve/Day are my holidays this time). I do work Saturday morning, though. And yes, so much barking.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Kung Pow Fish

its now 2 hours past when my boarding client was supposed to be here to drop off, no phone call, no email, no answer, no Dane. whelp. there goes all my christmas money
Old 11-28-2013, 12:20 PM

Whiskey ripped up a $100 bill. No no no no no

Something good has to happen today or I'm going to lose my mind. Going to try and get a new camera tonight so we will see.