Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I know why he did it, he's re-doing all the plumbing in the house and we need to run stuff for the washer and dryer and new mudsink. But I didn't realize he was legit going to open up THE ENTIRE WALL. I mean you walk into my house and bam, you're looking at a wall that's just studs and the back of the wall on the other side. I went over there yesterday after the gym to bring home some agility books and walked into my house, saw that, and I just straight up started laughing because what else am I supposed to do besides laugh or cry...

He told me this morning "Try not to worry about it." LOLOLOLOL YEAH DON'T WORRY ABOUT YOU TELLING ME THE FOUNDATION IS CRUMBLED AWAY FROM MY HOUSE. GOT IT. THANKS DAD.
FWIW, we just had a lot of foundation brick repairs and it wasn't too terrible. We had to have an um...pit bull sized hole worth of brick replaced (thank you Sally), and quite a bit if tuck pointing and brick replacement on various parts of the foundation and it was roughly $750 for the whole thing. Just be sure if your home is very old that you deal with a mason that has experience in older homes-they used different bricks and morter back in the day, and the incorrect morter can cause major problems.

As far as the roof goes...pray for a hail storm-lol

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
FWIW, we just had a lot of foundation brick repairs and it wasn't too terrible. We had to have an um...pit bull sized hole worth of brick replaced (thank you Sally), and quite a bit if tuck pointing and brick replacement on various parts of the foundation and it was roughly $750 for the whole thing. Just be sure if your home is very old that you deal with a mason that has experience in older homes-they used different bricks and morter back in the day, and the incorrect morter can cause major problems.

As far as the roof goes...pray for a hail storm-lol
$750 is more money than I have so... that pretty much confirms that I should just quit at life.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
$750 is more money than I have so... that pretty much confirms that I should just quit at life.
We had a lot more work done than you probably need though. Honestly, I thought it would be way more than it was. If you can find a mason to do a free estimate you could at least have an idea at what you are looking at.

House stuff sucks though--we have to get our roof done and I about died when I found out how much it would be.

Maybe have your dad look at that corner to see if there is something up with the gutters causing an excessive amount of water to hit that spot-that could be making it worse.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:22 PM
orange iguanas.

Pretty positive one of my rats has melanoma. He's going to the vet tomorrow but I don't know what I want from the appointment - I guess just someone to confirm "yep, that's what it is." Ultimately my only options would be to have it removed or leave it be. Part of me just does not want to do surgery, and then the other part of me thinks what kind of horrible person am I for thinking that way. I've been stewing over it ever since I made the appointment a week ago, and I still can't decide what I want.

Most likely I'll just go ahead and schedule surgery, but they'd have to like, remove most of his ear.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-10-2013, 10:03 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Today was idiot person day.

1.) On my way to work, I saw a car flipped over, for no apparent reason. (The person driving was fine and was up walking around and the cops were on the scene.) Although I can't say that the reason the car was flipped was due to an idiot reason (and I am SO glad it wasn't more serious), it made me think of idiot drivers causing idiot things to happen to other people.

2.) A bit more on my way to work, I pass by an apartment complex just off campus. There is a stereotypical college male standing in the grass outside the complex in his boxers, staring at a very cute Beagle puppy, who is just sitting in the grass. You can almost hear the guy thinking, "Come on, just pee already you **** puppy, I got up out of bed because you needed to go out, and now you're just sitting there..." Beagle puppy starts to look around. Beagle puppy stands up. Beagle puppy gets a silly grin on its face and starts doing a cute little Beagle puppy hop towards the road. College Guy darts towards the puppy. Puppy grins wider and darts away. Puppy then leads College Guy on a merry game of chase, with the biggest puppy grin and the happiest puppy tail in the entire world, while College Guy is an idiot and does everything you are NOT supposed to do if you want the dog to come to you. Luckily, Puppy doesn't dart towards the very busy state road, but instead darts towards the parking lot and leads College Guy on a very merry game of chase around a flowerbed. College Guy slips on the wet grass and face plants. while Beagle puppy merrily runs off.

Maybe you should keep your pup on a leash, huh?

3.) Someone comes in to work with a one year old pregnant Pit bitch who is "maybe" two months along (they aren't sure) and is having bloody green discharge from her vulva. After doing a workup, we discover one of the pups is dead and she most likely has a nasty infection going on. We recommend an emergency C-section/spay. "We don't want to spay her." "You do realize just doing a C-section and not spaying could lead to extreme complications, which could lead to death?" "We don't want to spay. Her personality will change." W.T.F PEOPLE?!?!?! YOUR DOG COULD FREAKING DIE. AND YOU ARE WORRIED THE ABSENCE OF HORMONES WILL CHANGE HER PERSONALITY WHEN THE ALTERNATIVE IS LIKELY HER BEING DEAD? So we sent them on their way to the emergency clinic, to see if they would be willing to do a C-section and not spay. Although we're almost 90% sure they didn't go, and just took the dog home to see if it would "clear up on its own".

National Idiot People Day today.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
3.) Someone comes in to work with a one year old pregnant Pit bitch who is "maybe" two months along (they aren't sure) and is having bloody green discharge from her vulva. After doing a workup, we discover one of the pups is dead and she most likely has a nasty infection going on. We recommend an emergency C-section/spay. "We don't want to spay her." "You do realize just doing a C-section and not spaying could lead to extreme complications, which could lead to death?" "We don't want to spay. Her personality will change." W.T.F PEOPLE?!?!?! YOUR DOG COULD FREAKING DIE. AND YOU ARE WORRIED THE ABSENCE OF HORMONES WILL CHANGE HER PERSONALITY WHEN THE ALTERNATIVE IS LIKELY HER BEING DEAD? So we sent them on their way to the emergency clinic, to see if they would be willing to do a C-section and not spay. Although we're almost 90% sure they didn't go, and just took the dog home to see if it would "clear up on its own".

National Idiot People Day today.
Similar... we did a c-section on a dog once and the uterus (I think... it was a while ago) tore. They thankfully understood that it would be easier to ensure she would heal if we just did a spay. I thought for sure we'd be fighting tooth and nail on that one but they were like "oh, okay!"
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Why don't ANY of my friends know Tim Tebow?
You guys work in the MEDIA. C'mon. And you've never talked to him? NEVER?

Useless. All of you.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Top Dog

Well, no vet job for me. They strung out the whole process over two months and finally got a phone call telling me, "We've decided to go in a different direction."

The worst part is they didn't even give me a chance and they just put their sign back up saying that they were accepting applications.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberH View Post
Well, no vet job for me. They strung out the whole process over two months and finally got a phone call telling me, "We've decided to go in a different direction."

The worst part is they didn't even give me a chance and they just put their sign back up saying that they were accepting applications.
Don't get too discouraged - try to apply elsewhere. After I got hired at the clinic, I was told a million times I was ALMOST not hired because I was too quiet Every time we had to hire someone when I was there, it was a HUGE ordeal. It took MONTHS to get the boss off his ass and actually post and ad, then several more months to convince him that yes, some of these resumes are GOOD and you should at least interview them. It's really, REALLY annoying, because we got some awesome resumes, and he'd nitpick them - "Oh, the font's hard to read," "Oh, they have no animal experience," "Oh, they have only been at their other job for 6 months," "Oh BLHL BLAH BLAH"

Anyway, if they took that long and are that irresponsible about informing you of anything, you probably don't want to work there anyway. There are other clinics that would be happy to hire you
Old 10-11-2013, 12:24 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Don't get too discouraged - try to apply elsewhere. After I got hired at the clinic, I was told a million times I was ALMOST not hired because I was too quiet Every time we had to hire someone when I was there, it was a HUGE ordeal. It took MONTHS to get the boss off his ass and actually post and ad, then several more months to convince him that yes, some of these resumes are GOOD and you should at least interview them. It's really, REALLY annoying, because we got some awesome resumes, and he'd nitpick them - "Oh, the font's hard to read," "Oh, they have no animal experience," "Oh, they have only been at their other job for 6 months," "Oh BLHL BLAH BLAH"

Anyway, if they took that long and are that irresponsible about informing you of anything, you probably don't want to work there anyway. There are other clinics that would be happy to hire you
Thanks for the encouraging words. I blame myself for this partly. I'm having a really difficult time even getting an interview at the clinics I've applied for. This is only my second one after many applications and 2 years of trying. I started vet tech school but never completed it for various reasons. Is that my problem? That I'm not a real deal vet tech? Perhaps but I know some other people who worked with me at the shelter and have less animal experience than I do were hired at the two main clinics I've been trying to get on at so that can't be the reason. Besides, it said, "no animal experience needed." Ugh! It is really discouraging but at least I have my current job for now. I will find something in the animal field soon.