Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8741  
Old 09-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
<------ CLAIM! ^_^
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,630
Default

Here if the driver doesn't have insurance you are pretty much screwed ... Even if you have insurance ... I can't imagine having to deal with the no insurance factor if I were riding a bike. I don't know the laws here but I can't imagine that are supportive.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8742  
Old 09-19-2013, 10:46 PM
CaliTerp07's Avatar
CaliTerp07 CaliTerp07 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Here if the driver doesn't have insurance you are pretty much screwed ... Even if you have insurance ... I can't imagine having to deal with the no insurance factor if I were riding a bike. I don't know the laws here but I can't imagine that are supportive.
If she was WALKING her bike in the crosswalk, then she should have any medical bills/property damage covered by the driver--just as though she were a pedestrian.

If she was riding it in the crosswalk though, she's going to have a harder time arguing her case. A friend in college got hit by a car on his razor scooter while in a crosswalk, and he was deemed at fault, because, as the police said, "Crosswalks are for walking, not scootering"

Regardless, I'd call the police and file a report, just so it's on record.
__________________


Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Reply With Quote
  #8743  
Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 PM
sassafras's Avatar
sassafras sassafras is offline
such sights to show you
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
If she was WALKING her bike in the crosswalk, then she should have any medical bills/property damage covered by the driver--just as though she were a pedestrian.

If she was riding it in the crosswalk though, she's going to have a harder time arguing her case. A friend in college got hit by a car on his razor scooter while in a crosswalk, and he was deemed at fault, because, as the police said, "Crosswalks are for walking, not scootering"

Regardless, I'd call the police and file a report, just so it's on record.
It depends on local ordinances. In my city, there are areas where bicycles can and can't be ridden on the sidewalk (it has to do with what percentage of the block is residential vs businesses). Where they have to ride on the street, they are legally considered vehicles. Where they can ride on the sidewalk (or when on designated bike paths that cross roads) they are legally considered pedestrians.

It would probably be worth looking up on your city's website, Frostfell.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8744  
Old 09-19-2013, 11:06 PM
CaliTerp07's Avatar
CaliTerp07 CaliTerp07 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
It depends on local ordinances. In my city, there are areas where bicycles can and can't be ridden on the sidewalk (it has to do with what percentage of the block is residential vs businesses). Where they have to ride on the street, they are legally considered vehicles. Where they can ride on the sidewalk (or when on designated bike paths that cross roads) they are legally considered pedestrians.

It would probably be worth looking up on your city's website, Frostfell.
Sorry, I must have skimmed. I missed the part that she was riding on the sidewalk. Yeah, all bets are off at that point. I just assumed she was crossing the street when she was hit.

Stinks
__________________


Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Reply With Quote
  #8745  
Old 09-20-2013, 12:52 AM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
<------ CLAIM! ^_^
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,630
Default

I don't mean to pour salt in a wound but if she had been riding her bike on the road & was hit, she might have had more rights to damages

Sucks I know & I am sorry ... I do hope you get some compensation frost fell. But also since you weren't hurt it ls also going to be harder then if you were ... Which also sucks.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8746  
Old 09-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Psyfalcon Psyfalcon is offline
Fishies!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,364
Default

In most of Oregon it is perfectly legal to ride on the sidewalk, but there are particular rules about how fast you can enter an intersection. Does not apply to inline skates. Still got hit rollerjoring with Buster though. Lady pulled from a commercial building and stopped at the street. Ran into the side of the car. Technically she should have stopped before the crosswalk, then at the street, but I've never seen anyone do that.
__________________
Buster
PhotoBlog
Reply With Quote
  #8747  
Old 09-20-2013, 01:39 AM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

The cooling fan in my computer is dead. I have a temp monitor up right now and I'm blowing in my computer when it gets hot >.>
Reply With Quote
  #8748  
Old 09-20-2013, 01:53 AM
Psyfalcon Psyfalcon is offline
Fishies!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,364
Default

I have a box fan blowing into mine. The processor fan works, but my case is small and crowded. I have to clean out the dog hair soon.

Michigan bike-sidewalk law
Quote:
257.660c Operation of bicycle upon sidewalk or pedestrian crosswalk.(1) An individual operating a bicycle upon a sidewalk or a pedestrian crosswalk shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and passing a pedestrian.
(2) An individual shall not operate a bicycle upon a sidewalk or a pedestrian crosswalk if that operation is prohibited by an official traffic control device.

(3) An individual lawfully operating a bicycle upon a sidewalk or a pedestrian crosswalk has all of the rights and responsibilities applicable to a pedestrian using that sidewalk or crosswalk.
__________________
Buster
PhotoBlog
Reply With Quote
  #8749  
Old 09-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,520
Default

Boy they sure are getting a lot of rain EVERYWHERE THAT ISN'T HERE.

Sure would be nice if this drought would end. And by "end" I don't mean dump five feet of snow on us in April and then we don't get any further notable precipitation for the rest of the year.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #8750  
Old 09-20-2013, 05:39 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,018
Default

I now have to take my fully housebroken, 7 and 9 year old dogs out on leashes to potty because they have decided that eating fallen crab apples is more important than relieving themselves, and will then poop in the house. Really dogs? Really???
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site