Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
It's the one where you get your period once every 3 months.. but I got on the "just send me another pack right away because I don't even want it every 3 months" plan
So, curious. I don't usually get periods because of PCOS. But I was told I HAVE to have a period every 3 months to prevent uterine cancer, so I have to take Progesterone for 10 days every 3 months and then stop to get a period. How is it different with birth control?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
So, curious. I don't usually get periods because of PCOS. But I was told I HAVE to have a period every 3 months to prevent uterine cancer, so I have to take Progesterone for 10 days every 3 months and then stop to get a period. How is it different with birth control?
I've spoken to a few doctors and the consensus is there is no real reason your body has to have a period. It's not necessary and it doesn't affect your health to not have them/skip over them with BC.

Not sure why you would need to have one...I've never heard of uterine cancer being an issue!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Twin 2.0

I think my new stuff is called Avian? Or something like that. I remember laughing and asking if it was going to make me flighty, because birds.

ETA: Googled it, it's called Aviane and I'm now thinking I don't want to try it at all, given the reviews. A very high portion said on this pill they were extremely moody/depressed, lethargic, body aches and constant spotting. These are not things I need to deal with. And the main company page reads like a bad Google translation job. Not reassuring.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

Thought this was a pretty middle of the road pro/con look at it
http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-contr...o-more-periods

Honestly, having no periods (because of purposely taking hormones to not have one) just does not seem healthy to me at all. I think for some women it can be worth it, but there are no long term studies on it, no real research from what I can tell.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

My dr had explained it as being on the pill gives you a "fake" period so there is no reason to do it, that going off the bc was the only way to really have everything g working right.

I have a horrible three months no matter what kind and then it levels out. Last one I took was some generic and it was fine.

My new ob is convinced I'd have never gotten pregnant if I hadn't just gotten off the pill. It kep my system regulated enough. She is going to start me on the metformin for my PCOS after baby.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 08-23-2013, 09:15 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Thought this was a pretty middle of the road pro/con look at it
http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-contr...o-more-periods

Honestly, having no periods (because of purposely taking hormones to not have one) just does not seem healthy to me at all. I think for some women it can be worth it, but there are no long term studies on it, no real research from what I can tell.
Totally agree!

I have been off BC since I was pregnant and the difference is amazing. I mean yeah, having a period sucks sometimes and we have to take precautions with sex but it's so mich better for me and for us.

I did the depo provera thing where you are not supposed to have a period ever again. I haf no sex drive anymore and thank God because all I did was bleed non stop for over a year. NOT normal! I realized I kind of just need to let my body do it's thing, what it was created to do

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Was BackwardCinderella

I need life to stop throwing crap at us. Seriously. Enough is enough. I just want things to settle for a while!!!

http://doofydogblog.blogspot.com/
In which creeper dogs, products and nonsense are discussed.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Resident fainting goat

I have awful periods.. they are more than just an inconvenience, they are enough to interfere with school/work/life. Especially when it came to school, I can't afford to be missing classes every month over it. (not to mention the PMS before I would even get my period..)

...also..I am 21 years old with a boyfriend, we are both fresh out of college with life goals and career/academic plans that DO NOT include pregnancy. The supposed risk from taking birth control back to back far outweighs the risk of..you know.. a baby lol
I trust my doctors more-so than anything else... and according to them the "5 day sugar pill" period on the pill aren't necessary or worth the trouble.

Just saying.. on the other side of the coin. Skipping the whole period thing altogether is a no-brainer for me.

While the idea of "letting my body do it's thing" and keeping it natural is lovely.. and got me off the pill in the first place a few years ago.
For me, it just wasn't worth writhing around in agony every 28 days for a week and missing school and just pausing life over it.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Sport Model Pug

There's a really creepy guy in my store right and he won't leave... I hate working alone sometimes.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Top Dog

Oh I get its sometimes worth it for sure! I am pretty much out of commission for 2-4 days, sometimes more if I am not taking 1,000mg of ibuprofen round the clock and have safe places to change/rest/etc every couple hours. I get it, I do

That being said, I personally still dont think there is NO risk. I think there is just not enough information to know. Still totally up to the person on whether or not its worth it, no doubt. I just wish Drs werent all "Oh its totally, completely safe" when we just dont know that. There are Drs too who DONT think its safe.