Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Smoking isn't going to kill an innocent bystander any more than anything else.

Factory fumes.

Exhaust fumes.

Heavy metals in your water and food.

Pesticides.

Plastic residues.

And I say all this as an ex smoker! You'd have to be standing next to a lot of smokers on a regular basis and breathing in deeply to get the cumulative effect of second hand smoke. For example, those who WORK in smoky atmospheres (banned in pubs here now so no worries). Walking past someone smoking in the street won't kill anyone anyhow.

In fact, alcohol IS more likely to get you killed innocently. Drunk drivers, drunk aggressive fighters, drunk people who leave broken glass bottles around etc etc etc.

I'm ALL for banning smoking in public, but you have to be accurate about it.... Second hand smoke doesn't pull out a knife and kill people. You won't die from one sniff of ciggy smoke. Bit dramatic!!!
Now second hand breastfeeding OTOH...
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonPitbullLvr View Post
The horror!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Yep. People NEVER get lung cancer or lung disease from second hand smoke! Continual smoke inhalation causes problems. I'd know, I'm living it. I've never smoked a day in my life.

Drinking and driving? Illegal. Fighting, whether drunk or not, is illegal. Littering, illegal. ALL those things ARE ILLEGAL, BECAUSE it is dangerous TO OTHER PEOPLE.

NOT ONE THING you said is a direct harm to another person just simply by somebody sitti g there and having a drink. They are all direct harm to people due to other things, and are ILLEGAL.
But you just said someone having a drink doesn't hurt innocent bystanders? I can tell you it does, illegal or not, it happens. And it's pretty much instant.

Second hand smoke damage occurs to people exposed to second hand smoke daily, all day, or a large proportion of the day. Not walking past a smoker on the street or even sitting next to one for 10 mins a day.

I can't fathom one example where an innocent bystander has been killed by a waft of ciggy smoke like BOOM. Sniff, you're dead.

I can name people who have been killed by CONTINUED exposure to second hand smoke... But honestly, it's rare and you don't have to work in those environments anymore.

You're making it sound like a waft of ciggy smoke and you may as well start checking for lumps and booking a cat scan. And that's just not the case.

Going for a night out once a week to a cigarette filled bar isn't going to kill you. Every night? Maybe you should worry about how much you're drinking or get a different job.

However. If you want to argue that it's UNPLEASANT and unappealing to smoke in public, then I fully agree. I'm happy it's been banned, but not for my health!!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonPitbullLvr View Post
I'm not sure if this is to do with flying milk in the eye or getting sloppy seconds on the boob.... Oh dear.

However, both sound extremely risky and possibly fatal.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Big Dog

Drinking irresponsibly can kill someone for sure. Alcohol poisoning, drinking and driving, playing with a gun while drunk, etc.

I've had ciggy smoke trigger an asthma attack that *almost* killed me so yeah, it can happen in certain instances.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
But you just said someone having a drink doesn't hurt innocent bystanders? I can tell you it does, illegal or not, it happens. And it's pretty much instant.

Second hand smoke damage occurs to people exposed to second hand smoke daily, all day, or a large proportion of the day. Not walking past a smoker on the street or even sitting next to one for 10 mins a day.

I can't fathom one example where an innocent bystander has been killed by a waft of ciggy smoke like BOOM. Sniff, you're dead.

I can name people who have been killed by CONTINUED exposure to second hand smoke... But honestly, it's rare and you don't have to work in those environments anymore.

You're making it sound like a waft of ciggy smoke and you may as well start checking for lumps and booking a cat scan. And that's just not the case.

Going for a night out once a week to a cigarette filled bar isn't going to kill you. Every night? Maybe you should worry about how much you're drinking or get a different job.

However. If you want to argue that it's UNPLEASANT and unappealing to smoke in public, then I fully agree. I'm happy it's been banned, but not for my health!!!
No. You're reading it as though that's what I'm saying. I didn't say anything lime that, at all, ever.

Drinking AND DRIVING kills people. AND DRIVING. Or and whatever. Not just drinking. It's the AND that causes it to be dangerous. When somebody sits beside me having a drink, there is no risk to my health. Whether you want to believe it or not, constantly breathing in smoke, from cigarettes are otherwise, is damaging to health. When it's cigarette smoke, there are added health risks. You don't have to be doing anything else for smoking to be dangerous to other people. You have to be doing other things for drinking to be dangerous for other people, those of which are ILLEGAL.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Plus One

Looking at quotes for insuring my car. All are over what I can afford. 3000 a year is completely ridiculous!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Anyhow, I'm done with it, for now. I'll probably vent the next time, too. Oh well.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Love My Mutt <3

My new vent is that I left for a week, and come back to biting ferrets.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Reasons I'll never be approved for a local rescue: I'm that asshole that corrects them when they do things like spell "shih tzu" as "**** zu"