Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Really? Have we really gotten this entitled as a society? No smoking in PUBLIC areas just because *you* don't want to breathe it in? I am sorry but I find that absurd & it infringes on smokers rights.

I could see I'm restaurants, businesses, etc ... But sidewalks? I'm sorry but that is a little extreme.
Oh how very entitled of me to not want to get CANCER because some other person just HAS to have their cigarette.
Smokers rights?! how about my right to not breathe in cancerous cigarette smoke?
They are the ones CHOOSING to smoke, that is THEIR CHOICE. Their rights do not extend to endangering MY HEALTH.

Ever been on a busy sidewalk and be FORCED to walk behind someone who is smoking? It's awful, and it's unhealthy and it happens in the city, ALL THE **** TIME.
Nothing like wanting to take a walk to get some fresh air and getting stuck walking in a cloud of that.

How dare I not want to breathe in carcinogens!!
THE AUDACITY!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I wish smoking didn't effect others as much as it does.

My vent is I'm sick or have allergies or I'm dying.
Have you gotten checked out? I feel like you've been not feeling 100% a lot lately
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Fishies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
Really? Have we gotten so entitled as a society that you think you should be able to do whatever you want to do, wherever, other people's health be damned?
I think they call it libertarianism now.

Poison the air, poison the water, puff smoke in your face, just don't make a law telling people not to poison me.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

1: I either have fall allergies or a sinus infection.

2: I have too much grading to do.

3: Elsie is either very footsore or sick.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:54 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
I agree with Fran. Generally speaking all people HAVE to be out in public at some point but you don't HAVE to smoke. I think smokers should keep to designated areas so that people who have asthma, are sensitive or just plain don't like it don't have to deal with it while they're minding their own business. Smoker? Smoke in designated locations. Non-smoker? Avoid those locations.

I don't want that **** in my lungs because some person on the street HAS to have their cigarette NOW.

I'm not saying ostracize smokers as people - my boyfriend smokes, several of my friends smoke. But I don't think smoking should be "okay" as in catered to while punishing people who don't smoke.

Really? Have we gotten so entitled as a society that you think you should be able to do whatever you want to do, wherever, other people's health be damned?
But ... It is punishing. Vanquishing smokers to isolated, dark corners just because it makes some people uncomfortable?

Like I said, businesses? Restaurants? Even some places like amusment parks (even though they are open air) but side walks? Streets? Come on, isn't that going a little too far? Like I said I do not smoke in public (unless I am at a bar or something) but I do respect the right of someone who chooses to.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Jelly baby?

Quote:
Vanquishing smokers to isolated, dark corners just because it makes some people uncomfortable?
It doesn't just make them uncomfortable. It makes them sick. And they're not "dark corners." I need to take some pictures of the smoking areas at the zoo, they're pretty elaborate. And on that note, we have smoking areas ALL OVER the zoo and people STILL light up outside of the designated areas. HELLO, WE DON'T WANT YOU TO KILL OUR ANIMALS WITH YOUR SMOKE. KTHNKSBYE.

I don't understand how someone can respect another person's "right" to make someone else sick.

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 08-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
But ... It is punishing. Vanquishing smokers to isolated, dark corners just because it makes some people uncomfortable?

Like I said, businesses? Restaurants? Even some places like amusment parks (even though they are open air) but side walks? Streets? Come on, isn't that going a little too far? Like I said I do not smoke in public (unless I am at a bar or something) but I do respect the right of someone who chooses to.
it doesn't make people uncomfortable.
It makes people sick, and not just immediate sickness like migraines or asthma attacks, I mean, LONG TERM ILLNESSES.
It contributes to heart disease, lung disease and various types of cancer.

Isolating the people who choose to smoke is not about SHAMING them, it's about not punishing OTHERS to these dangerous side effects because other people made the choice to smoke.

If it was just because I didn't like the smell (which to be fair is frikin disgusting) or because it gave me a headache, fine, fair enough. I also don't like the smell of heavy perfumes and that gives me headaches too...doesn't mean it should be banned.

But this isn't about being uncomfortable, this is about making people seriously sick.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:15 PM
LABRADERP!

One of my favorite co-workers just died less then 2 hours ago........

Carter's Snowfall Banshee Scream - "Takoda"
03/22/2010
The Blonde Labraderp mix!

Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin - "Beau"
Forever in my heart. I love you and miss you everyday Beagle Boy
11/03/2002-11/21/2013
Old 08-18-2013, 08:31 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I know of people who get just as sick from perfume, body sprays, lotions, whatever so I should stop wearing those too?

I miss the old days where no one cared where you lit up & it's funny that no one had "sensitivities " to smoke ado then, it see was though these "sensitivities" are something that has come up recently.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Top Dog

People in the past did get cancer from cigarette smoke.

That's not new.