The Venting Thread

amberdyan

This morning I found my cockatiel, whom I've had for about 14 years and was an adult when I got her, dead on the bottom of her cage.

When I texted the news to Josh, his first response was "Who's Shreds, is that the rabbit?"
The bird's name was Shreddies; the rabbit's name is Reeses (like the chocolate). So at first I was taken back a bit and corrected him. Then he said "maybe stop owning so many pets?"
I wanted to rip into him right then and there that if it's ever down to him or the pets that he doesn't have a hope in hell. He apologized for the "misunderstanding" but I don't think he got how much the pet comment cut me.
But I just told him I'd talk to him later.

If this were a new relationship it'd be different, but it's been over 4 years and the damned bird has been here longer than all the dogs.
Then hours went by and I didn't respond. I was working then went out for a late-lunch with a friend that I only see every few months because she lives so far away.

Now he's upset with me because I didn't bother to shoot him a "quick text" throughout the day. I figured it was something I wanted to approach with a more thought out talk.
But apparently I'm the bad guy here. I know I'm over reacting, but *&^*%&
I don't think you're overreacting, honestly. Regardless of his opinion of your pets, or how attached he is to pets/animals, it's clearly something you care very much about and he should really respect that. There was no purpose or reason for his comment. I do hope he apologizes later- you deserve it.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
This morning I found my cockatiel, whom I've had for about 14 years and was an adult when I got her, dead on the bottom of her cage.

When I texted the news to Josh, his first response was "Who's Shreds, is that the rabbit?"
The bird's name was Shreddies; the rabbit's name is Reeses (like the chocolate). So at first I was taken back a bit and corrected him. Then he said "maybe stop owning so many pets?"
I wanted to rip into him right then and there that if it's ever down to him or the pets that he doesn't have a hope in hell. He apologized for the "misunderstanding" but I don't think he got how much the pet comment cut me.

If this were a new relationship it'd be different, but it's been over 4 years and the damned bird has been here longer than all the dogs.
Then hours went by and I didn't respond. I was working then went out for a late-lunch with a friend that I only see every few months because she lives so far away.

Now he's upset with me because I didn't bother to shoot him a "quick text" throughout the day. I figured it was something I wanted to approach with a more thought out talk.
I am so sorry about Shreddies. I don't think you're overreacting AT ALL, she was your pet and Josh was being very insensitive. *hugs*

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
He did apologize, but it seemed more of a like forced apology, if that makes sense?
I think he felt that his comment was supposed to be a joke to try and lighten the situation up a bit. He knows I love all of my pets, and she was such a staple in the household just by the amount of noise she contributed alone lol. It's going to be a tough thing to get used to.

Either way, I'm glad you guys don't think I'm overreacting.
Thanks everyone :)

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word

You certainly aren't overreacting. It's rude of him to say that, especially since you just had Shreddies pass away.

(((Hugs)))

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Boo ... something, probably **** coyotes attacked the geese that had taken up residence on the walk-out of one of our ponds here, I walk out there every day and check on them (I stay on the road and dont go near) but today I didnt see them and from the road, the nest didnt look right. I didnt see them anywhere but there were feathers everywhere and I have a terrible feeling that a pack of those vermin came through and not only decemated the nest, but the parents too as they tried to defend it. :( so much sad.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Nothing is going right this week and the instructor for our first big course is in the ER. Between that, jet lag, and a completely incompetent "expert" that teaches another one of our courses, I'm already done with this week.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'd be furious, too. Michael didn't know my ferrets well, as we had just started dating at the time when they were all getting older and having their health issues/passing on. He may not have known their names well, and he may not have gotten to know them as individuals, but he knew what they meant to me and he was there holding me when we had to let Dameon go on Christmas Eve. If he had been callous about it, I would not have handled it well. At all. And we had only been together...a year and a half at that time?

So sorry about Shreddies. :( Just because they're "pocket pets" doesn't make it any easier when they pass on.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I don't think you're overreacting. I would be hurt and furious.
I would be very hurt, offended, and PISSED. I had Izze for 8 years before OH even entered the picture and when she died at 10, he cried right alongside me just as hard as if he had helped raise her.

When our betta died, we both mourned him.

I personally just couldnt be in a relationship with someone who treated the death of an animal as "no big deal".

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
if you are really so thick that you dont know your SOs pets names, the least you can do is offer sympathy at the time, and then discretely ask a friend or family member later which one it was. you dont foot-in-mouth like a giant asswipe.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
if you are really so thick that you dont know your SOs pets names, the least you can do is offer sympathy at the time, and then discretely ask a friend or family member later which one it was. you dont foot-in-mouth like a giant asswipe.
Heck, I was watching over a pair of wild geese that made their nest on the walk out of the small pond at the front of the property here, I would go and check on them a couple of times a day, usually morning and evening (I would stay on the road and not get close, though). Yesterday morning I found the nest destroyed by ****ing coyotes and the parents gone, there were feathers all over the place and I fear they got attacked too :( I still havent seen them.

OH was VERY sympathetic about it when I told him about it, even though they werent mine, I was still torn up about it and he gave me a hug and told me how sorry he was that it happened.

We both love animals, and when ANY animal is sick, or dies, it effects BOTH of us.

joce

Some people are not "animal" people though. They can feel bad for you( which I am not entirely sure he did which is were I really feel for you) and still not get it.

I don't think we should hang the guy. He just isn't an animal person. Hopefully he realizes how much it hurt you now? Did you get to talk to him about it?

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Some people are not "animal" people though. They can feel bad for you( which I am not entirely sure he did which is were I really feel for you) and still not get it.

I don't think we should hang the guy. He just isn't an animal person. Hopefully he realizes how much it hurt you now? Did you get to talk to him about it?
Yes there is a chance, but if she talks to him and he doesn't get it and is still being a jerk, then it might be time to take a step back and contemplate the future of the relationship.

Grab

I'm sure part of the irritation was from not being as sympathetic about the death of a pet. However, I think the greater feelings of hurt were in not knowing the name of a pet that your SO has had for the entire time you were dating. Even if he himself isn't a "pet person" (and I have no idea if he is), if your partner does care about their pets, 4 years is plenty of time to learn the names of all of them.

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
So, I've really been trying to eat healthier, and excerise, because I'm looking to lose a few pounds, and just be healthier. So... I'm on a new medication.Of course, one of the side effects is weight gain(there's been people who've doubled there weight in a month.)

**** this.

Another fun side effect is insomnia!

Last edited:

amberdyan

So, I've really been trying to eat healthier, and excerise, because I'm looking to lose a few pounds, and just be healthier. So... I'm on a new medication.Of course, one of the side effects is weight gain(there's been people who've doubled there weight in a month.)

**** this.
1. That sucks. I know it's hard to not be able to knock off a few pounds when you know you're eating right/exercising appropriately, but just remember, weight loss isn't the only indicator that you're taking care of yourself.

2.... Am I misunderstanding how much these people are gaining? I feel like it's got to be physically impossible as an adult to double your weight in a month. Like... I'm trying to imagine gaining 165 lbs in a month. That's got to be impossible, right?

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
1. That sucks. I know it's hard to not be able to knock off a few pounds when you know you're eating right/exercising appropriately, but just remember, weight loss isn't the only indicator that you're taking care of yourself.

2.... Am I misunderstanding how much these people are gaining? I feel like it's got to be physically impossible as an adult to double your weight in a month. Like... I'm trying to imagine gaining 165 lbs in a month. That's got to be impossible, right?
Yeah... I thought it was strange. But, there was a few people who claimed it. Don't know how true it is(hopefully, it isnt true.).

I'm sure part of the irritation was from not being as sympathetic about the death of a pet. However, I think the greater feelings of hurt were in not knowing the name of a pet that your SO has had for the entire time you were dating. Even if he himself isn't a "pet person" (and I have no idea if he is), if your partner does care about their pets, 4 years is plenty of time to learn the names of all of them.
Yes, right. And the "maybe not have so many pets?" thrown it at the end like it's HER fault that he couldn't be bothered to learn the pets' names after FOUR YEARS. Make flash cards or something, dude.

Members online

No members online now.