Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Top Dog

Falon, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with giving up Aikon. If he's not the right match, he's not the right match. I know you love him and are heartbroken over it, and I just can't even imagine how painful it has to be for you to give him up. But in the end, you're making the right choice. I'm sorry other people can't seem to understand that it's not. I'm sorry you have to make this decision at all.

Logan was supposed to be a SAR dog. Because Logan was not the right dog at the right time for his future SAR handler, he became my service dog instead. This is what happens when dogs from a good breeder with a good safety net are rehomed. They're not euthanized, they're not abused, they're not put on Craigslist on a first-come first-served basis. They are placed in a new home that will love them just as much AND that will be the right fit.

Rehoming service dog candidates when they don't pan out is VERY common. Most people can't afford to keep washouts AND still have a working service dog. If Logan had washed out, I wouldn't be able to have another shot at a service dog until one of my dogs dies (this is because I am very attached to my dogs and it would be MY CHOICE to keep them. Gavroche is my heart dog and there's no way he's going anywhere, and I really couldn't have parted with Logan after I had him for two years. This is for me, emotionally, and NOT something I think is right or wrong). Many people don't have the option of waiting 10 years to try for another service dog. Sporting dogs or other working dogs shouldn't be any different. If you need a dog for a specific purpose, and the dog you get doesn't pan out, there's NOTHING wrong with trying again. Heck, the same goes for a pet - if the dog is just NOT a good match for your family, why should you make yourselves miserable (the dog included) and stick it out, when the better option would be to return the dog to the breeder and try again?

I just really, really don't get the hate going on here. This is why we get dogs from responsible breeders - because if anything happens, they have a place to go back to!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I have to be in Boston for another year to graduate (it's too late to transfer, I'm a senior this year)
so at least there's that.. I've never even been to california though!

I feel a lot better with some time to deal.
It could've been Yemen.
It could've been antarctica

I can still visit.. it's a hell of a lot closer to Japan and the time zone doesn't suck as much.

Plus..
it's right next to the SD zoo..and seaworld.. and comicon

I have decided to look at the bright side.

We won't get to see eachother every weekend or anything like that but.. it could be worse.

You guys are right. There is skype, I can fly over, he is coming home for christmas

we can make it work.
Yeah & when to do visit there is lots of cool stuff for you guys to do together

Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I have to be in Boston for another year to graduate (it's too late to transfer, I'm a senior this year)
so at least there's that.. I've never even been to california though!

I feel a lot better with some time to deal.
It could've been Yemen.
It could've been antarctica

I can still visit.. it's a hell of a lot closer to Japan and the time zone doesn't suck as much.

Plus..
it's right next to the SD zoo..and seaworld.. and comicon

I have decided to look at the bright side.

We won't get to see eachother every weekend or anything like that but.. it could be worse.

You guys are right. There is skype, I can fly over, he is coming home for christmas

we can make it work.
I realize it's far, but San Diego is great! I was seriously considering living there for a little while. The vibe of the city is awesome and the surrounding area is amazing. Point Loma is beautiful, and, um, SD is where Extraordinary Desserts is located. You have a great excuse to go on awesome vacations.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Trying to find out if I can pull the boys from our agility trial this weekend. I think there's still dogs on the wait list after us so we can get our entry fee back. I don't really want to go anymore. They said if they find out what's going on with my dad he might be able to come home tomorrow but if they don't maybe another two or three days in the hospital. So I just don't really want to go.

Just this morning I was actually starting to get excited about it.

I hope I can get my entry fee back, they've started doing it with some clubs where as long as they can fill your spot you get your fee back okay... if I can't get it back I'm not sure what I'll decide to do. My dad will probably tell me to just go. I just don't want to...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I'm being spoken to tomorrow at work "about my language". I work Wednesday nights. There's a total of 5 people who talk to me then, and I can guarantee none of them said anything. I don't swear while working anyway. I know it's backlash from a harassment case I'm going through. I know I'm just being lumped with my friend, who is also involved with the case, and who people always seem to lump us together. (We're both in trouble, apparently).

I want to quit. So bad. I wish I could just be hired on the spot tomorrow, so I can go into work quitting. But I know that won't happen. I know I'll just have to take it and shut up. Cannot wait for the day I can quit. Thankfully, after tomorrow I have 2 weeks off.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-06-2013, 10:13 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I'm being spoken to tomorrow at work "about my language". I work Wednesday nights. There's a total of 5 people who talk to me then, and I can guarantee none of them said anything. I don't swear while working anyway. I know it's backlash from a harassment case I'm going through. I know I'm just being lumped with my friend, who is also involved with the case, and who people always seem to lump us together. (We're both in trouble, apparently).

I want to quit. So bad. I wish I could just be hired on the spot tomorrow, so I can go into work quitting. But I know that won't happen. I know I'll just have to take it and shut up. Cannot wait for the day I can quit. Thankfully, after tomorrow I have 2 weeks off.
Eww, boo, no fun

I don't get along with people, that's why I work with horses at the track. I have to deal wih very few people in "normal" society & those who I do talk to are cut from the same riff raff mold lol.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Just spent 30 minutes with my hand in the garbage disposal fishing out pieces of tempered glass bit by bit. My daughter was cooking some oodles of noodles and had left a glass pot lid on the stove top and it got hot and started to smell. My wife stuck it in the sink and for God-knows-what-reason, ran cold water on it.

At least all of the gook that gets trapped under the rubber flaps is gone now. It was good lubricant for my wrist for a while.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Duuuuude.

I'm going to miss my old job. For as awful as it could be, for all the stupid drama and bullshit from the owner, I really loved the majority of my coworkers and the dogs. The dogs are the hardest part. I can still see my coworkers, but the dogs? Now that I'm gone, it's over. Two years of bonding with those dogs and it's all just... over. I've gone through this before; I've worked at 2 other daycares before this one. But somehow this is the hardest.

I have a TON of pictures of my favorites that I sent to myself to keep. I'd love to share some of them + stories with you guys but I have no idea if that's kosher since they're not mine, so I've been erring on the side of caution. I wish I could though.

I guess I'm just struggling with it. I know I made the right decision, but this one is really hard.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Top Dog

There's a litter of dutchie mix puppies on my local craigslist right now (according to the ad, anyway).

They're so cute. Why did I look at the ad?

Why?
Old 08-07-2013, 12:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post

Good luck with your interview. Rock it!