Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Obey the Toad.

rubysgal---Well, I think a lot of it is your priorities when it comes to dogs. Some people have something very specific in mind for dogs they get. Personally, my dogs are primarily companions and then we dabble in whatever they might enjoy--but that's not the way everyone does it.

This dog will be fine. He's got a good owner and a good breeder that will find him a more suitable home. If you want to be concerned about a dog, save your sympathy for dogs that have no responsible owner and no safety net.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudysgal View Post
I'm sorry but - it doesn't HAVE to be this way. Nobody is forcing you to get rid of your dog.

I don't understand the culture on this board, to be honest. People are constantly talking about "NextDog" like they are inflicted with some kind of virus. What about enjoying the dogs you have? There is NOTHING wrong with wanting a second or third or whatever dog, and there is NOTHING wrong with doing sports with your dog - I love dog sports too! But getting a dog, and then re-homing when it doesn't perform or live up to a certain standard ... to each their own, but that isn't true love or bonding. That is most certainly love with conditions.

And yes, yes, I know you foster and are involved with rescue. Vex is gorgeous, by the way. This isn't about trillions (facetious) of dogs needing a home, etc. And this isn't even about you bring upset that you won't have Aikon with your anymore. This is more me just being completely unable to wrap my head around this concept that many people on this board get a dog for sport, rather than taking up a sport for the dog. And the dog suffering or, at the very least, being forced to live in multiple homes, as a direct result of these very human rules.

Unreal.
Since you know nothing about me or mine, I'm not going to take offense to your extremely rude, thoughtless post. I do find it interesting that you post very little, but do make the time to be needlessly mean...and thanks for belittling that we are involved in rescue. I hope this made you feel good about yourself, otherwise I'm unsure the purpose of your post beyond cruelty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Really rudysgal?! Way to kick someone when they are down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
Seriously? Do you do high level dog sports that requires a certain kind of dog? Do you know what it takes to train a dog to that level. He unfortunately is not the dog she needs, so someone else will get a very nice pet or entry level sport dog. I but dogs from breeders go help me get the doc I want/need, sometimes it doesn't work and you have to make that heartwrenching decision to either keep what won't work or rehome and try again. If my meet puppy doesn't work out, well, he'll be sold. I need a sport dog, doesn't mean I love My dogs less than you nor does it mean you love yours more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
As for the above statement by Rudy, wow that's a bit harsh....

People getting "rid" of dogs at the pound because they aren't like dogs on tv, or other stupid reasons deserve that kind of response, but kicking someone who is making a tough decision and going about that decision responsibly is..... Just ugh..... Why? Think she's not struggling enough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
rubysgal---Well, I think a lot of it is your priorities when it comes to dogs. Some people have something very specific in mind for dogs they get. Personally, my dogs are primarily companions and then we dabble in whatever they might enjoy--but that's not the way everyone does it.

This dog will be fine. He's got a good owner and a good breeder that will find him a more suitable home. If you want to be concerned about a dog, save your sympathy for dogs that have no responsible owner and no safety net.
Thank you, you each have my most heartfelt appreciation and thanks, truly.

Luckily, I have a lovely, reputable breeder, that will I know will find the best possible home for him, with my help. Oddly, she understands and supports my decision.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:22 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Spoke to Aikon's breeder at length...we've agreed to find him a home together. I cry a lot. He is going with me to MI on Wed, and then I'll have to leave him there. It's going to be terrible.

Vex came back (he was gone for a week getting neutered, hips and elbows x-rayed (his hips are AWESOME)), and he forgot how to be quiet in his crate. Then he POOPED all over in his crate (he has never done this), and smeared it EVERYWHERE. Oh Malinois, why you so crazy? It was nasty too, I think he wasn't feeling well, black and tar like. The one good thing, he did smear it about, but he didn't get any on him but his feet, and the end of his tail. Bathing was quick and easy, the crate took longer but at least it was a varikennel, not a wire kennel? Yuck.

I went off my BC because we were thinking we wanted to try for kids end of this year...and then we decided we want to wait (because I want to try to do well with Kastle in IPO - yeah, we put kids off for dog sports)...and now I have my period when I didn't for 12 years...TAKE IT AWAY!
I'm sorry to hear about Aiken not working out but I am sure you will find him a wonderful new home it's also always great to have a great breeder at your side through a difficult time like this.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

So sorry to hear the news, Falon. Someone is going to be so, so lucky to have this sweet, amazing puppy in their hands - a puppy that had a fantastic start and a wonderful foundation all thanks to you. I think you did Aikon, his breeder, and his new home (whoever that will be with) a huge favor in working and raising him these past few months. If only everyone could be so lucky!! You (and Kastle and the rest of the crew ) must have been such an incredible influence on him.

Of course we all wish things could have turned out better - it's clear to see how much you love him - but he's going to find a great home and things will turn out for you, too.

And glad you're not taking rudygal's post to heart, I remember her commenting on Toller/Devan's photo thread a while back and implying that the Dobes were being cast aside for the shiny new Aussie.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudysgal View Post
I'm sorry but - it doesn't HAVE to be this way. Nobody is forcing you to get rid of your dog.

I don't understand the culture on this board, to be honest. People are constantly talking about "NextDog" like they are inflicted with some kind of virus. What about enjoying the dogs you have? There is NOTHING wrong with wanting a second or third or whatever dog, and there is NOTHING wrong with doing sports with your dog - I love dog sports too! But getting a dog, and then re-homing when it doesn't perform or live up to a certain standard ... to each their own, but that isn't true love or bonding. That is most certainly love with conditions.

And yes, yes, I know you foster and are involved with rescue. Vex is gorgeous, by the way. This isn't about trillions (facetious) of dogs needing a home, etc. And this isn't even about you bring upset that you won't have Aikon with your anymore. This is more me just being completely unable to wrap my head around this concept that many people on this board get a dog for sport, rather than taking up a sport for the dog. And the dog suffering or, at the very least, being forced to live in multiple homes, as a direct result of these very human rules.

Unreal.
I can't say that I disagree with you a whole lot in this situation.

Falon, I'm honestly just really confused. You've placed at least 4 or 5 dogs since I've known you in the last few years for really minor things, in some cases. In this case, you say you absolutely adore this dog, and all that he can't do is be bred, *likely*, at this point. You're planning on another dog next year or the year after, to do something that Aikon seems perfectly capable of. You have a LOT of dogs that are perfectly capable of doing what you want them to do, whether it be IPO or sports. I mean, you have three sports dogs right now as it is. Why not keep him and just let him grow up, get another dog for breeding, and use Aikon in a few years to do more sports with instead of a new puppy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
Seriously? Do you do high level dog sports that requires a certain kind of dog? Do you know what it takes to train a dog to that level. He unfortunately is not the dog she needs, so someone else will get a very nice pet or entry level sport dog. I but dogs from breeders go help me get the doc I want/need, sometimes it doesn't work and you have to make that heartwrenching decision to either keep what won't work or rehome and try again. If my meet puppy doesn't work out, well, he'll be sold. I need a sport dog, doesn't mean I love My dogs less than you nor does it mean you love yours more.
Who really needs a dog, anyway?

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 08-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Wow guys. Not everybody is willing to sign on the line for a dog with potential serious health issues. In fact that is why we encourage to buy from reputable breeders, isn't it? So if a dog turns up with health problems you have a fallback?

Holy cow.

My dad went to see a hematologist today and they ordered a bunch of tests. They saw "something" on one of the tests but did not elaborate - only instruct he has to go back in tomorrow morning for another test then to see the doctor right away.
Yay.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-05-2013, 08:58 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Yeah, I second the "wow"

We stress to people to buy from a reputable breeder, one what will be there to help you in the event of something like this. Then when someone DOES buy from a reputable breeder, puppy doesn't work out for whatever reason, so they exercise that option to "return to breeder" (which many breeders state IN contract that's what you have to do anyway) they get flamed for it.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Twin 2

And it doesn't have to make sense to anyone on or off this board. This is Falon's decision and not one she's making lightly. It's her decision about what is the best option for her, her dogs and her life and it's not anyone's place to judge her for a situation that is hers and hers alone. Especially so harshly and just plain mean.

Her life goals, her goals for her dogs, her wants and needs don't need to align with yours or what you find morally expectable.

Falon, lots of hugs, thinking of you and I know that no matter what he'll end up in a perfect home.

ETA: And Rudy, maybe the reason you don't understand the culture of this board because you aren't able to see from someone else's point of view or able to understand that just because it's not the way you would do it doesn't make it wrong.

This board is diverse and full of people that are able to disagree, take different paths and make decisions no one else would make while still being accepting of those differences. Full of people are able to except that, learn from it and grow.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
So sorry to hear the news, Falon. Someone is going to be so, so lucky to have this sweet, amazing puppy in their hands - a puppy that had a fantastic start and a wonderful foundation all thanks to you. I think you did Aikon, his breeder, and his new home (whoever that will be with) a huge favor in working and raising him these past few months. If only everyone could be so lucky!! You (and Kastle and the rest of the crew ) must have been such an incredible influence on him.

Of course we all wish things could have turned out better - it's clear to see how much you love him - but he's going to find a great home and things will turn out for you, too.

And glad you're not taking rudygal's post to heart, I remember her commenting on Toller/Devan's photo thread a while back and implying that the Dobes were being cast aside for the shiny new Aussie.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Falon, I'm honestly just really confused. You've placed at least 4 or 5 dogs since I've known you in the last few years for really minor things, in some cases.
Have I? I would love to know which dogs I've placed. I'd also like to point out that minor to you, may not be minor to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Wow guys. Not everybody is willing to sign on the line for a dog with potential serious health issues. In fact that is why we encourage to buy from reputable breeders, isn't it? So if a dog turns up with health problems you have a fallback?

Holy cow.

My dad went to see a hematologist today and they ordered a bunch of tests. They saw "something" on one of the tests but did not elaborate - only instruct he has to go back in tomorrow morning for another test then to see the doctor right away.
Yay.
Thank you, and yes, I agree, I thought that was the entire point.

I'm confused - how can they say "something" and not what. I'm a Med Tech, so I used to do the hematology tests. Was it contaminated perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Yeah, I second the "wow"

We stress to people to buy from a reputable breeder, one what will be there to help you in the event of something like this. Then when someone DOES buy from a reputable breeder, puppy doesn't work out for whatever reason, so they exercise that option to "return to breeder" (which many breeders state IN contract that's what you have to do anyway) they get flamed for it.

Thank you, entirely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
And it doesn't have to make sense to anyone on or off this board. This is Falon's decision and not one she's making lightly. It's her decision about what is the best option for her, her dogs and her life and it's not anyone's place to judge her for a situation that is hers and hers alone. Especially so harshly and just plain mean.

Her life goals, her goals for her dogs, her wants and needs don't need to align with yours or what you find morally expectable.

Falon, lots of hugs, thinking of you and I know that no matter what he'll end up in a perfect home.

ETA: And Rudy, maybe the reason you don't understand the culture of this board because you aren't able to see from someone else's point of view or able to understand that just because it's not the way you would do it doesn't make it wrong.

This board is diverse and full of people that are able to disagree, take different paths and make decisions no one else would make while still being accepting of those differences. Full of people are able to except that, learn from it and grow.
Thank you, and in general, I also agree. I just assumed that stating outright what was going on would be more favorable than just having Aikon disappear from the scene. But, at this point, if there's going to be a general problem, I can just disappear for awhile. I don't need to have others making me feel bad just because they are capable of doing so. Additionally, many of you that have been so supportive, and nice, are friends with me on FB so I am sure I'll still "see" everyone
Old 08-05-2013, 09:20 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Ah, we'll I'm sorry you feel you have to do that, Falon, but whatever you do I wish you the best.

Hope to see you back soon