Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Sitting here watching my roommate's dog shake like a leaf and drool because of a thunderstorm. I hate it, he's so scared and it's awful to watch. I gave him one his Xanax and I really hope it helps. Cuz this is miserable.

In other news, I have some vile headache that runs all the way from between my shoulder blades, up my neck, and all over my head. And I'm in a horrible mood.

Yaaaaaaaay.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:10 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Sitting here watching my roommate's dog shake like a leaf and drool because of a thunderstorm. I hate it, he's so scared and it's awful to watch. I gave him one his Xanax and I really hope it helps. Cuz this is miserable.

In other news, I have some vile headache that runs all the way from between my shoulder blades, up my neck, and all over my head. And I'm in a horrible mood.

Yaaaaaaaay.
Ugh, I SO don't miss having a dog that is scared of storms. Cynder, Cooper, and Gracie could all care less. Storms, fireworks, gunshots...they don't care.

Chloe works herself up into such a tizzy, I'm scared she's going to give herself a heart attack. She pants, whines, paces, shakes, her eyes dilate, I'm sure her temperature skyrockets due to the stress...if she can't be under your feet, she screams at you. Rose gets stressed (panting/restlessness), but not near as bad as Chloe.

First point of order with Future Puppy is going to be to introduce him to the sound of gunfire and make it the best experience EVER. Really hope that will help with other noise phobias (and I want him to be able to be out with us when we go shooting, too).

Old 04-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Ugh, I SO don't miss having a dog that is scared of storms. Cynder, Cooper, and Gracie could all care less. Storms, fireworks, gunshots...they don't care.

Chloe works herself up into such a tizzy, I'm scared she's going to give herself a heart attack. She pants, whines, paces, shakes, her eyes dilate, I'm sure her temperature skyrockets due to the stress...if she can't be under your feet, she screams at you. Rose gets stressed (panting/restlessness), but not near as bad as Chloe.

First point of order with Future Puppy is going to be to introduce him to the sound of gunfire and make it the best experience EVER. Really hope that will help with other noise phobias (and I want him to be able to be out with us when we go shooting, too).
I tried the same thing and it didnt work. Recon is gun shy and it's the one limitation we have with off leash play.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post

Ugh I can relate ... Buddy is noise phobic ... It's nervous in general for some reason ESP at night, I have been thinking about putting him on meletonin lol to see if it will help him ... We use meletonin for the really nervous race horses so they can relax.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Blood tests came back normal. Best ferret vet in the city looked at his xrays, and saw nothing, either. There's no reason for him not to be eating.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Top Dog

A friend of mine has a team that participates in the Relay For Life every year, last year they raised 55,000, part of their fund raising is from bottle drives. I had a good $150 in bottle beside my place for their next bottle drive...someone effing STOLE them...who does that?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
A friend of mine has a team that participates in the Relay For Life every year, last year they raised 55,000, part of their fund raising is from bottle drives. I had a good $150 in bottle beside my place for their next bottle drive...someone effing STOLE them...who does that?
We do fundraising boxes at different places for work... this year, we had a lot of problems with people stealing the boxes and money. All the money goes to helping veterans. It's really messed.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

On the subject of thunderstorm phobic dogs, I was home for lunch and the first bad storm of the season is rolling through... Auggie was barking because the noise startled him, and Payton was running around back and forth crying, looking at the ceiling - I think he thought it was the roofers again. Pepper, to her credit, was pretty much the most relaxed, only barking a bit because Auggie was barking (she barks and doesn't even know why... OTHER DOGS ARE BARKING MUST BARK!)

I considered bringing Payton back to work with me but I thought the storm had past so I didn't... filled up his twist 'n treat and popped him in the crate with it and off I went.
Well, I guess it's pop up storms because a HUGE line of red developed in the time I checked the radar at home and got back to work (four minutes!), it's thundering and lightning like crazy right now, and I'm sitting at work trying not to have an anxiety attack because I'm afraid P is at home in his crate freaking out from the noise. I'm ready to cry and I don't even KNOW for sure he's at home having trouble, I just think he might be... I'm worried I'm going to go home and he's going to have a bloody nose from biting the crate bars again.

If it doesn't stop soon I'm leaving to go get him. I can't take much more of this.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

I have one noise phobic dog ... Buddy. I know this isn't the "best" way to deal with this but since here at the ranch, we have a large area the dogs can get out of the rain (a large covered deck) so they can stay out in the rain/ storms without getting wet or cold from the rain.

When it storms here (we are in a very dry area so it doesn't happen often lol ) I just left him outside & watched him to make sure he didn't do anything stupid & it seemed that the less confirmed he was the better he did & since he (I guess) had the other dogs for comfort & example.

Now I am not suggesting anyone else do this ... It's just what I descoveries worked for us.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Top Dog

There's no way I would leave a dog scared of storms out in a storm. That's a surefire way to make a dog MORE scared of storms, or to make a non-scared dog scared of storms. Never mind the high, high probability of getting loose when they're panicking. Flooding is never a good solution for a fear.

When I was dogsitting, I ended up crating one of the dogs and covering the crate with a blanket. Also turned on some noise. She couldn't see the flashes and couldn't hear the thunder as well, so she calmed down some.

As far as making sure a puppy doesn't get noise-phobic, socialization to lots of noises is key. That doesn't mean just sitting a puppy next to you and shooting a gun (again, that's a way to make them scared of it). It means actively engaging your dog and make it a VERY GOOD EXPERIENCE despite the noise (ideally the noise coming from someone else, so you can focus 100% on your pup).