Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Safety first. Whatever keeps you alive an safe. All the superficial stuffnis... Superficial. Lazy is better than dead any day
Oh, I agree. It's just... I think the roads will be bad, but not absolutely horrible. Just bad enough to be a pain in the butt. Sigh. First world problems. Right here in central Indiana.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
But if they aren't health testing, they aren't reputable and julee's point still stands. IMO, Izze came from a byb.
This is a rather unrealistic and limiting take, imo.

Health testing is vast and debatable from breed to breed to line to line.

I would never expect a whippet breeder to OFA the hips. I would also not expect a malinois breeder to BAER. Additionally, while elbows are nice they're not mandatory in every breed, nor are knees, nor hips. More often than not I would pick a non-OFA dog with a stellar breeding than I would be scared off for lack there of.

I'm not sure anyone on here is capable of calling someone elses breeder irresponsible or "BYB" on limited information.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

They're closing all the schools. My mom's college even closed tomorrow and they hardly ever close, let alone tell people the NIGHT BEFORE they are closed (usually they wait until early in the morning to make the call.)

I was hoping my co-worker would text me and be like "hey let's not go to work tomorrow." But I haven't heard anything. It's just the three of us, and the owner is in California so he has NO idea how bad it is here right now, so really, it's kind of our job to make the call if the weather is bad and be like "yeah we're snowed in, no work today." They don't even HAVE snow days in California, do they?? It hasn't been this bad all winter long so we haven't had to deal with this as an issue yet. I'm not sure what's going to happen tomorrow.

But I do know that the snow has drifted almost halfway up and over my car, my mom's car (which I've been driving since mine is dead and she can't drive after her foot surgery anyway) is half buried too, and the city often forgets to plow our street out - and even once we manage to get the car and driveway dug out in the morning, if the street isn't plowed, I doubt I'll even be able to make it off our street. I'm also TERRIFIED of having to drive my mom's car in the snow, because if I lose control or somebody slides into me, I've wrecked my MOM'S car, not mine. Which is quite a bit different.

I really wish I had gotten a "no workies tomorrow!" text. Or at least a "no workies until the afternoon when they've have a chance to clear the roads better!" text.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Isn't it pretty common for working breeders not to do extensive health testing?
I'm trying to say this without seeming to snark at you, not my intention...more snarking at 'working breeders' who get a get out of jail free card. If I get a ranch and some cows, can I 'get out of' health testing too? Personally, I don't think it is OK and would still constitute BYBing. I think the hallmark of a good breeder is one that takes advantages of new technologies and keeps with the times.

If it's a lesser known breed, where no one is health testing, I can see getting the dogs from untested stock. I still think health testing should be a goal though. And it's not to hurt these breeders, it's to help them! Especially with these diseases that affect the dogs later in life, like PRA. It isn't doing anyone any good to be retiring dogs at 6 years old because they can't see.

All in my opinion, of course.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
It's cold

What the ****??? It's supposed to be SPRING!!! Tomorrow morning's low is supposed to be in the 30s ... 30s!!!! **** you cold why can't you stay up north where you belong
We have had enough as well, so we are happily sharing!

Sincerely,
Your northern friends.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:47 AM
Top Dog

People who like to think they know everything, and MUST comment on every Facebook post to tell you you're wrong (When in reality, they're uninformed and you're right).
Old 03-25-2013, 02:12 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
We have had enough as well, so we are happily sharing!

Sincerely,
Your northern friends.
We Europeans like sharing as well.

In other words - WTF is wrong with the world. We had a snow storm last week that caused 150 car pile-ups on the autobahn. ITS SPRING. ITS ALMOST APRIL. I'm still wearing my stupid winter jacket. -.- Last year it was in the 70s.

Easter will be colder than Christmas. This is wrong. Global warming is a lie lol :P

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
They're closing all the schools. My mom's college even closed tomorrow and they hardly ever close, let alone tell people the NIGHT BEFORE they are closed (usually they wait until early in the morning to make the call.)

I was hoping my co-worker would text me and be like "hey let's not go to work tomorrow." But I haven't heard anything. It's just the three of us, and the owner is in California so he has NO idea how bad it is here right now, so really, it's kind of our job to make the call if the weather is bad and be like "yeah we're snowed in, no work today." They don't even HAVE snow days in California, do they?? It hasn't been this bad all winter long so we haven't had to deal with this as an issue yet. I'm not sure what's going to happen tomorrow.

But I do know that the snow has drifted almost halfway up and over my car, my mom's car (which I've been driving since mine is dead and she can't drive after her foot surgery anyway) is half buried too, and the city often forgets to plow our street out - and even once we manage to get the car and driveway dug out in the morning, if the street isn't plowed, I doubt I'll even be able to make it off our street. I'm also TERRIFIED of having to drive my mom's car in the snow, because if I lose control or somebody slides into me, I've wrecked my MOM'S car, not mine. Which is quite a bit different.

I really wish I had gotten a "no workies tomorrow!" text. Or at least a "no workies until the afternoon when they've have a chance to clear the roads better!" text.
I would say err in the side of caution even if you don't hear anything, I would text her the night before saying to text her if anything changes but if you wake up in the morning & it is IYO too bad (I am not from a state that gets snow/ice so ANY snow/ice would be too much ) I wouldn't risk it. Better to be without a day's pay then without your life/safety if something happens.

Not saying you aren't capable, it's just that Mother Nature can be a bitch sometimes.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:17 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I'm trying to say this without seeming to snark at you, not my intention...more snarking at 'working breeders' who get a get out of jail free card. If I get a ranch and some cows, can I 'get out of' health testing too? Personally, I don't think it is OK and would still constitute BYBing. I think the hallmark of a good breeder is one that takes advantages of new technologies and keeps with the times.

If it's a lesser known breed, where no one is health testing, I can see getting the dogs from untested stock. I still think health testing should be a goal though. And it's not to hurt these breeders, it's to help them! Especially with these diseases that affect the dogs later in life, like PRA. It isn't doing anyone any good to be retiring dogs at 6 years old because they can't see.

All in my opinion, of course.
Do you have many cattle ranches up there? We are not talking one or two "pet" cows the owners have & borrow someone's bull so they can have a baby to but he their own meat every once & a while ... I am talking about hundreds sometimes thousands of acres of land with hundreds of BEEF cattle.

This guy had about 6 or so dogs but he was very selective on which ones he bred (only breeding his best) Izze's dad was 10 yrs old, still working, mother was 5 ... Still working. Her grandparents lived to be in their mid teens & Lso worked until their death (cuz you just can't stop an ACD from working) things didn't breed females After 7 & males after 10.

This guy did not have a few cows, he ran hundreds on about 400 acres. JMO in some breeds health testing is essential, such as the large or giant breeds for elbows/hips. Or the ACD for hearing/eyes (both of which he tested for! Cuz a working dog can't work if they can't see or hear) anything else IMHO is over kill.

& yes I found him thru an add in the paper. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, I love "farm/ranch" dogs & would buy one Again in a heart beat. Show/conformation titles don't mean as much to me as can the dog WORK.

Besides, I don't like the trend of a lot of coat & the lighter color that is going with ACDs in the shoe ring, I like in my blues a slightly darker, sleeker coated dog.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Woke up to 4-6 inches of snow everywhere. What is this madness? Just a couple days ago it was tshirt weather and now this? Oh well... At least Bamm is happy.