Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Just got back from the docs. Hannah has bronchitis complicated by asthma. Antibiotics, new nebulizer meds and a new inhaler. Hopefully she should be feeling better in the next couple of days

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Legally it absolutely is a liability and the vet is 100% on the hook for any medical bills incurred by an owner if they get bitten by their own animal... however each vet chooses whether or not to allow it anyway. Most cats I absolutely do not want owners helping to restrain. Dogs are case by case depending on how well I know the owner.
Why does it matter when the dog is muzzled then? He's not going to bite anyone... that's the whole point.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Why does it matter when the dog is muzzled then? He's not going to bite anyone... that's the whole point.
Well biting isn't the only way for an animal to injure someone. Someone could throw out their back trying to hold a struggling dog. Or get scratched by nails. Or nailed by a flailing head. Or the dog could get the muzzle off in the fray. In any case, the liability is 100% on the vet.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

I am bring Buzz to a new-to-him vet next Monday. I called to set up the appointment and I said he's kind of due for annual senior stuff. She didn't understand why I'd want a urinalysis run on a "healthy dog."

Whatevs... I'll talk about it with the doctor when I get there. I miss just being able to do what I want and then asking the vet to interpret!

Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
What I hate the most, is that I understand it can take a little while to get to know a client so that you trust their judgement, but how am I supposed to get to know them without letting them take Frag away and EFF him up, to put it nicely? We've finally gotten to the point where he barely growls when things are happening, but if some dumb tech took him and bear hugged him and physically threw him down to draw blood, he'd probably go from growling to lunging, which is absolutely not ok.

When I can ask him to lay down and stay their during a blood draw or vaccine, or exam, or xray... it's better for everyone involved! But some vets just won't give you the time of day to explain that. I talked to my previous vet for over 2 hours on the phone to let her know what I expected of them and of my dog, and that went very smoothly, but not all vets are willing to work with people like that, and the ones that are have other problems!
Chloe is that way, too. And if I were ever to take her to a vet that is new to us, I would insist on being the one to restrain her. If they wouldn't let me, I wouldn't let them do anything with her. And I would hope that the vet would be knowledgeable enough to see the difference in how I restrain and work with my dog, and the well meaning owner that is "holding" his growling dog so it can be examined and not doing anything to actually control the dog.

That is why I like my vets. They do know the difference and act accordingly.

But as has been mentioned, coming from the vet side of things, dealing with someone who actually knows their animals and can restrain properly is fairly rare. Which sucks, because it is so much easier for everyone involved when they can handle their touchy dog appropriately. Imagine a dog like Chloe (or Frag, or Frodo) in the hands of someone who can't handle their dog and hasn't done all of that work to make the dog comfortable...we see that far too frequently, unfortunately, and that is why some unspoken rules (like not letting the owner restrain) are in place.

But yes, if a vet won't budge on the issue and can't see that you are helping, not hurting, I'd be finding a new vet, too.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Glutton for Crazy

A friend of a coworker recommended on FB that pit bulls need to eat rocks to help digest food.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
A friend of a coworker recommended on FB that pit bulls need to eat rocks to help digest food.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Well biting isn't the only way for an animal to injure someone. Someone could throw out their back trying to hold a struggling dog. Or get scratched by nails. Or nailed by a flailing head. Or the dog could get the muzzle off in the fray. In any case, the liability is 100% on the vet.
Yah, that.

I know also, a big issue here, for bloodwork, is yah, you can say you're fine with blood draws until your face turns blue. Then the vet gives in, you faint, smack your head and sue.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Because pit bulls are closely related to chickens. *nods*

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I want to go cruising in the mountains right now.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle