Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Still working on this crate thing with Payton. Had success yesterday but it involved me sitting with him for over 20 minutes. I won't always have that much time when I have to crate him, but I'm working on it... this morning I sat with him for over five minutes and he was giving me signals like it was okay for me to leave, so I got up and was leaving. Wasn't quite out the door and he started barkscreaming.

And my dad starts shouting at him from the basement.

I told him "Yelling at him isn't helping."
"I didn't know you were still here," he says.
"Yes, I'm still here, and yelling at him whether I'm here or not isn't helping."

He didn't have anything to say to that. Guess I have one more idea of what's been causing all this.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Still working on this crate thing with Payton. Had success yesterday but it involved me sitting with him for over 20 minutes. I won't always have that much time when I have to crate him, but I'm working on it... this morning I sat with him for over five minutes and he was giving me signals like it was okay for me to leave, so I got up and was leaving. Wasn't quite out the door and he started barkscreaming.

And my dad starts shouting at him from the basement.

I told him "Yelling at him isn't helping."
"I didn't know you were still here," he says.
"Yes, I'm still here, and yelling at him whether I'm here or not isn't helping."

He didn't have anything to say to that. Guess I have one more idea of what's been causing all this.
I feel your pain. This is a constant battle with Joey. It was suggested to me to cover his crate with a blanket and that definitely helps some, but not always. I've tried giving him stuff to keep him occupied, antlers, frozen kongs, etc but when he is in a "I don't want to be in here" mood then forget it. He will ignore the stuff I give him and whine instead.

Last night he whined loudly in his crate for a good hour non stop before he finally gave up and went to sleep. It was everything Josh and I could do to ignore him. I swear Josh was ready to kill him since he had to wake up in a few hours for work.

We can't just move his crate out of our room because we are so limited on space right now and his crate is HUGE!!!!! It is so frustrating.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Is there a reason you can't do a tie down at bedtime?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Is there a reason you can't do a tie down at bedtime?
I have nothing in my room that I feel comfortable tying him to and whatever I tie him with he would more than likely chew through.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
I have nothing in my room that I feel comfortable tying him to and whatever I tie him with he would more than likely chew through.
Ahhh, an O ring screwed into a stud with a metal leash might work, but if he's a chewer I get it. We don't have room for crates anymore and I hate the jingle and thud of dogs moving in them while I sleep so we chose to bed train at night and I thought I'd suggest it if its not been considered.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Ahhh, an O ring screwed into a stud with a metal leash might work, but if he's a chewer I get it. We don't have room for crates anymore and I hate the jingle and thud of dogs moving in them while I sleep so we chose to bed train at night and I thought I'd suggest it if its not been considered.
My dogs sleep loose at night for this reason and the fact that they are sometimes crated during the day. Too much crate time for my guys to be crated at night too. I've never had a problem with the dogs being destructive or anything at night, even Naughty LoLa....after the initial training period.

I have to ask, do you guys correct the naughty behaviors they display in their crates? Like the barkscreaming and whining?
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
My dogs sleep loose at night for this reason and the fact that they are sometimes crated during the day. Too much crate time for my guys to be crated at night too. I've never had a problem with the dogs being destructive or anything at night, even Naughty LoLa....after the initial training period.
Same with my dogs. I don't want to have to crate them all day and all night. So they sleep with me at night. Logan took several months before he was allowed to sleep loose (he was a chewer), but now it's absolutely no problem. Gavroche actually just graduated to not being crated at all, even when I leave, so long as I remember to put anything edible outside of the room. But he's 5 1/2, and it took 4 1/2 years for me to trust him with that for more than a couple weeks at a time.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Same with my dogs. I don't want to have to crate them all day and all night. So they sleep with me at night. Logan took several months before he was allowed to sleep loose (he was a chewer), but now it's absolutely no problem. Gavroche actually just graduated to not being crated at all, even when I leave, so long as I remember to put anything edible outside of the room. But he's 5 1/2, and it took 4 1/2 years for me to trust him with that for more than a couple weeks at a time.
Judge has just graduated to having free roam of the whole house during the day instead of just one room. LoLa....she is still crated for the most part. She can be left for a few hours with no damage done so she is getting there. I do prefer to not have to crate even when I'm not home but it takes awhile for the dogs to be trustworthy. Judge is 5 and just earned it. LOL
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Behavior Nerd

I can't speak for others, but I will use a verbal warning or loud noise for normal crate barking, but Aeri's crate behavior is not modified at ALL by anything. Corrections don't change the behavior, nor do treats - she won't even eat out of the Manners Minder. Heck she'll do it with the door open....

Old 02-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
Judge has just graduated to having free roam of the whole house during the day instead of just one room. LoLa....she is still crated for the most part. She can be left for a few hours with no damage done so she is getting there. I do prefer to not have to crate even when I'm not home but it takes awhile for the dogs to be trustworthy. Judge is 5 and just earned it. LOL
Sloan just earned free roam, today is her first full day. Backup will be moved to a smaller crate and trialed on to a tie down in the guest room. Arnold has a tie down attached to my bed, he won't challenge it but it adds a sense of security for him. Shamoo will never be free, it bums me out but she licks at doors neurotically and if it were up to me I would put kick plates on the doors and say whatever but Denis has his limits.

Hopefully Sloan isn't at home eating our bed right now. lol