Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2391  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,372
Default

Are they show dogs? If the female is do owned but the male isn't ... Then why not neuter the male? Unless he is being exhibited / shown, or has a medical issue that makes surgery risky, I have known a few dogs with anesthesia sensitivities who were left intact because the risk of the surgery is too great.

Unless it is for one of those reasons then IMHO all dogs should be fixed.

If she is co-owned then the co-owner would be ponying up by taking her when she is in heat.

Yes I am surprised, since you mentioned he was driving you batty & complained about it, I made a suggestion that I thought might be helpful. If he is bothering you crate him in another room where you can't hear him? Your irritation with him will not help the Anxiety he is feeling.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #2392  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

Quote:
Are they show dogs? If the female is do owned but the male isn't ... Then why not neuter the male? Unless he is being exhibited / shown, or has a medical issue that makes surgery risky, I have known a few dogs with anesthesia sensitivities who were left intact because the risk of the surgery is too great.

Unless it is for one of those reasons then IMHO all dogs should be fixed.
I will never neuter a male dog unless it's medically necessary. Logan's intact because he's still showing, but even when he's done he'll remain intact until I have a legitimate reason to neuter him.

I'm of the opinion that remaining intact is better for a dog's health. In my entire family's history of owning dogs (5 people, and my dad has had dogs for over 50 years), Gavroche is the only one that has been neutered. He's also the only one with hypothyroidism, recurrent and resistant UTIs, and prostate disease. No thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2393  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,372
Default

All those things are myths, I on the other hand have seen dogs (used to work in a vet clinic & for a shelter) did if diseases that could have prevented by sputering.

When bear was done showing I neutered him & he is 13 & going strong , I think he will outlive all of us.

The only thing I would let a female go they a heat for is if she has a recessed vulva or something like that.

I will never be convinced that, other then Showing or medical reasons, sorry but the dog should be fixed.

Sputering has proven to prevent reproductive cancers when preformed early enough (IMHO before the 2nd year).

Your childhood dogs might have been lucky.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #2394  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,179
Default

First of all, Payton IS co-owned as well. And yes, both are show dogs. Both are being kept intact with the possibility of being bred in the future.
Furthermore I agree with Sael that I don't really care to alter a dog unless it is medically necessary. I would prefer to alter the girlies because studies have not shown as big of a benefit to remaining intact in females as in males, so the convenience aspect of it makes it more appealing to just go ahead and spay. However, as I said, I can't make that decision for Pepper. If I could, I would. Realistically I think she is unlikely to be bred at this point and it would just make it far easier, BUT. Not my decision.

It's really not that big of a deal, some people have it far worse. So Payton wants to mate with his half-sister and is going to pester her for a month or so. So I have to crate & rotate for a month or so. It's not like my dogs want to kill each other and have to be on crate & rotate forever. I am quite lucky.


ETA: It is not a myth, it's a scientific study.
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
However I have no doubt it will be impossible to convince you otherwise.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #2395  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

Quote:
When bear was done showing I neutered him & he is 13 & going strong
And? Max was 13 1/2 when he died, and he was intact - he just had bad hips coming from a BYB. AJ (intact) is 13 and has no signs of illness - a short bout of vestibular disease but that's passed. Living to age 13 is not really proof neutering is healthy.

The only thing a dog cannot get after being neutered is testicular cancer. For a female after being spayed, it's uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, and pyo. However, speutering does increase the chances of osteosarcoma. IF my dog developed testicular cancer, then he'll be neutered. Done. If my dog developed osteosarcoma, he'd possibly have the leg amputated and then not have much chance for survival afterwards of more than a few moths.

Regardless, Beanie can make her own decisions about her own dogs (well, except for the co-owned ones ). She does not need to be berated for not speutering in a freaking VENTING thread.
Reply With Quote
  #2396  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,372
Default

See this is a venting thread, I am not berating her about anything. I merely stated that I did not agree with leaving a dog intact if there is not a medical issue in the way of getting it done. So, in a way I was also venting.

She complained about her dog pestering her with his whining & carrying on, I was just throwing suggestions out there.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #2397  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
If she is co-owned then the co-owner would be ponying up by taking her when she is in heat.

Yes I am surprised, since you mentioned he was driving you batty & complained about it, I made a suggestion that I thought might be helpful. If he is bothering you crate him in another room where you can't hear him? Your irritation with him will not help the Anxiety he is feeling.
First, you don't know anything about Pepper or her history with me. Yes, I can certainly send her back to her co-owner, but given our history I will be damned if I let her out of my sight ever again. She is MY girl, she is in MY house, and she is staying with ME.

Second, since by your own admission you have never had two intact dogs of the opposite sex at the same time, you have no bloody idea what it's like to deal with it, and to suggest telling him to "stop" like I am some kind of idiot who never thought of that is highly insulting and/or speaks of your own level of intelligence. Same goes for the ridiculous suggestion of "crate him in another room." Do you really think I'm so stupid that I didn't consider that? That perhaps there's a reason I didn't go that route? There are several, by the way.

Luckily I am well aware of your character, therefore know which option to interpret your suggestions fall under.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #2398  
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Taqroy's Avatar
Taqroy Taqroy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Second, since by your own admission you have never had two intact dogs of the opposite sex at the same time, you have no bloody idea what it's like to deal with it, and to suggest telling him to "stop" like I am some kind of idiot who never thought of that is highly insulting and/or speaks of your own level of intelligence. Same goes for the ridiculous suggestion of "crate him in another room." Do you really think I'm so stupid that I didn't consider that? That perhaps there's a reason I didn't go that route? There are several, by the way.
When I tell my dogs to stop doing something they ALWAYS do. Unless they don't want to. Or they're busy. Or they can't hear me over the sound of their own growling/barking/whining. I don't know why Payton doesn't stop when you tell him to.

__________________


I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Reply With Quote
  #2399  
Old 01-10-2013, 12:23 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
All those things are myths, I on the other hand have seen dogs (used to work in a vet clinic & for a shelter) did if diseases that could have prevented by sputering.

When bear was done showing I neutered him & he is 13 & going strong , I think he will outlive all of us.

The only thing I would let a female go they a heat for is if she has a recessed vulva or something like that.

I will never be convinced that, other then Showing or medical reasons, sorry but the dog should be fixed.

Sputering has proven to prevent reproductive cancers when preformed early enough (IMHO before the 2nd year).

Your childhood dogs might have been lucky.
Rosey is 16 and going strong, and is intact

Yes, speutering reduces some risks, but it also heightens either. To pretend there's no downsides is just dangerous.
__________________
Ella: 2 1/2 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~7 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #2400  
Old 01-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Airn's Avatar
Airn Airn is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 963
Default

I'm for spaying and neutering. Because I have no knowledge of dog breeding. I've never had an intact dog. If I had a male and female, I would have puppies in no time.
But Beanie is a responsible dog owner. And her choice is her choice. Or the co-owner of the dog's.
Either way, this isn't some random dog owner going "My dog keeps humping the other. Is that bad?"
She's just VENTING. In the Venting thread.

My vent today. Omg holy headache from hell. I've had this thing on and off for three days now. It is getting so bad that I'm going to take meds. And I have to go the college again to figure this all out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site