Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

How the HECK have we gone through Black Friday to Cyber Monday and not ONE place had My Little Pony deals lol. It's the LAST gift I really need to get. I'm going to just break down and pay full price soon and it will probably cause me heart palpitations to do it but ARGH why is the PINK princess Celestia never on sale lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
???? no one is saying they have it SO BADLY and it's the worst thing ever and we don't get to say Merry Christmas and yada yada yada. I just don't understand why there HAS to be the debate in the first place. Happy Holidays vs merry Christmas is all because of politically correct nonsense so now it's become a battle. I am not personally offended by Happy Holidays. I think it's a perfectly nice thing to say but this idea that if you don't say it then you are intolerant and selfish and just out to destroy the holidays for everyone which is not even remotely the case in the majority of cases.

My only experiences with people who wanted to make an issue of it was when I worked in retail and encountered a lot of people during the holidays and most of the time the people that did complain about Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays were also the ones that complained about everything else going on around them "lines are too long" "too many people here". Chances are they probably weren't really offended by what was said but that they were just in a bad mood to begin with.

I just don't think we should be scolding people for saying "happy holidays" or "merry Christmas". I wish we could just get back to accepting a well wish no matter what form it comes in instead of over analyzing everything. If you don't get an "F YOU" I'd say it's a pretty good day lol. Smile, say thank you.

Like I said before... this politically correct movement has pretty much made everyone intolerant of everyone else. I mean it's kind of funny to sit and talk about being so tolerant while saying that everyone who doesn't say what you say is selfish and intolerant lol

That's just scary... what IS h e looking at in there?

For some reason I don't think I want to know what he's looking at!

I agree with everything you said- usually the people who nitpick and complain about Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas complain about a ton of other things.

I just find it hard to argue about someone saying something nice to me! I love when people say Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, etc. It means that they're in a cheerful mood and are excited about the holidays.

Our neighbor has a "Happy Hanukkah" light up thing in their front yard- should they take it down because I celebrate Christmas? I mean, they're basically pushing Hanukkah on me since I have to drive by it every day. What about the people who don't celebrate Hanukkah? They're just so selfish!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 11-26-2012, 04:55 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

On completely different note....

Breaking in a new bra SUCKS!

I was down to my last bra and Lane Bryant had a 50% off sale so I bought some new bras but breaking them in is the worst

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Top Dog

I dont think anyone here said oh we have it so badly, we are so discriminated against, but I DEFINITELY see it a lot out in general society.

Its just plain nicer to try and include as many people as possible by saying Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings. Very very few people dont at the very least observe the new year, even if their religion puts it somewhere else, in secular/business/what we use every day time, it changes. Thats a holiday
Old 11-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Resident fainting goat

I gave the hot dog stand on the corner a chance. I mean, I see this guy all the time, he is super nice, it's cold and he is out there selling hot dogs.

I haven't had a hot dog in ages (I don't eat red meat and avoid processed food) but I decided..why not?

and it was good! AND ONLY A DOLLAR!!

Well, not to be graphic but erm..

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:40 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
I dont think anyone here said oh we have it so badly, we are so discriminated against, but I DEFINITELY see it a lot out in general society.

Its just plain nicer to try and include as many people as possible by saying Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings. Very very few people dont at the very least observe the new year, even if their religion puts it somewhere else, in secular/business/what we use every day time, it changes. Thats a holiday
I agree... it's nice and I don't conciously try to NOT say Happy Holidays and Always say Merry Christmas. I just don't usually think of it until after it comes out. I've been saying Merry Christmas my entire life and it was NEVER a problem. that habit is not so easily erased lol. I just don't like how if I do say it that I must be trying to insult someone or be intolerant or selfish. 31 years of the same thing isn't just easily replaced lol especially when it's only a few weeks out of the year. I think that is the case with the majority of people, they just say it out of habit. NOW you do get the ones who are trying to prove a point and that's not cool. Same with breastfeeding. don't flop your boob all around just to prove a point... do it for the reason it's intended, to feed your child but just trying to be a jerk does nothing but set back your "movement" and make people more resistant and more "intolerant". It's a vicious cycle really. Hence this battle. Someone didn't like Merry Christmas so started pushing Happy Holidays ONLY because it's tolerant and Merry Christmas is practicing exclusion, etc (or vice versa) and then people took issue with being told they COULDN'T say what they always said and now they are fighting back.... political correctness at it's best.

it's not WRONG to say Happy Holidays... it's not WRONG to say Merry Christmas. We need to stop acting like it is and this will all go away. That is my biggest issue, if you say one or the other it's basically assumed you are just a jerk trying to push your agenda instead of just trying to wish someone a joyous day. Such a sad state of affairs

G.K. Chesterton

Old 11-26-2012, 05:41 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I gave the hot dog stand on the corner a chance. I mean, I see this guy all the time, he is super nice, it's cold and he is out there selling hot dogs.

I haven't had a hot dog in ages (I don't eat red meat and avoid processed food) but I decided..why not?

and it was good! AND ONLY A DOLLAR!!

Well, not to be graphic but erm..
LOL awesome. Dinner that I'm about to eat is going to be great

G.K. Chesterton

Old 11-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Top Dog

I never said one way or another was wrong. I just said one comes off more tolerant than the other.

The part that is definitely rude is the, "Well, I'm going to say Merry Christmas because that is what *I* celebrate, so F YOU!"

THAT is the selfish attitude I cannot stand. I don't care what anyone says or believes, like I said earlier. It's the attitude and the meaning behind it, and one just naturally comes off more all-encompassing than the other. *shrug*

Now, that all said.

Zander is still turning his nose up at the Fromm.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Yes I think the whole politically correct movement has only served to make us all utterly intolerant of everyone else. I miss the days where you could say " good day" and it was taken as it was said instead of "well what did he mean by that... Must have been sinething offensive. What if i'm not having a good day"
With these people who are looking for ways to be offended I have kind of reached the point that, if I do somehow manage to offend them, well, they need to thank me, as it surely seems I've given them what they wanted.

Hell, maybe they need to send a thank you card!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-26-2012, 05:52 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

What is Fromm? I have seen this mentioned before but have no idea what it is?

Is he not eating anything at all?

G.K. Chesterton