Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Wookie Collie

I have a relapse of this bad cold this morning and I have a hundred things I want to get done. Bah.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 09-11-2012, 02:11 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

First off, MandyPug, I'm not "refusing medical attention" for my problems. I can't afford a chiropractor or a doctor. And FYI I have an appointment tomorrow at the health department for my back. So please don't make rude assumptions and accusations. Thanks.

Jessie, thanks for the suggestion! I probably won't apply anyplace that I have to be on my feet much just in case it turns out like this job, but I have applied to watch kids at an elementary school watching kids for an after school day care program 3hrs mon-fri. I'm excited about it because child care/child education is something I'm interested in as a career. As for rather working 8hrs a few days as opposed to 5hrs 5 or 6 days a week, I live like 3-5mins from my work so driving back and forth isn't much of an issue.

I appreciate all the advise from those who have been helpful but to the rest of you, this is a venting thread. I was venting. No one is going through and scrutinizing everyone else's vents. I'm done defending myself here. There's no need. It's honestly kind of offensive and upsetting and that's the last thing I need right now when I'm already having a hard time. I would've thought people would get that.

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-11-2012, 02:30 PM
<(°°<) <(°°)> (>°°)>

Why is only wanting to work 4 or 5 hours making someone lazy - or rather not have a realistic perception of a job? I know a bunch of people (myself included) , who work a retail job who have 3-5 hour shifts without a problem. Of course there will be days where you'll need to say longer.. but if your usual shifts are 4-5 hours, then I don't see a problem.
I get pissy if I have to work 3 days in a row for 9 hours (full time the store is open) if I have school, because it's not something I CAN do - I have to study, and I have SCHOOL.
As a student, my main "career" is going to school - not working full time in retail. I work because I want to. I can't do more than 15 hours a week though, because of my school schedule and because I need time to study. I can totally understand not wanting to work 8 or 9 hours shifts - esp. if you were told that working 5 hours wasn't going to be a problem .

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:35 PM
orange iguanas.

My hair looks like crap today
It's very upsetting lol. My hair was chopped off a couple weeks ago and it's awesome, but having short hair means I have to style it, and at the moment my results are 50/50. And I would like to go to Ulta today to buy some things but I am not going to a beauty supply store with ugly hair

Also. It is hot today.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Glutton for Crazy

LMAO @ bad hair day amongst the drama. I think I love you.

DM, what about a call center where you sit?

I vastly prefer my schedule. I work 13, 11, 6, and 8 respectively but I get 3 day weekends and I can take my dogs to work where I have access to lots of equipment, plus most days I do love training. That said I am constantly on my feet, running, walking, moving on a cement floor with stable mating. Basically it's extremely hard on my body and I won't be able to do it forever like this.

To each their own, an office job would kill my soul. I'd just melt into boring sadness.

Denis works for the dept of health and human services, a desk job, and he loves it. Maybe a state job where you sit at a desk is an option?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
If I recall correctly you've been refusing to see a medical doctor or chiropractor for the issues you have. Honestly the only way you'll convince an employer you have an actual medical issue barring you from working a normal shift is with a legitimate doctors note. If you want your short shifts then I advise you to seek medical care for your issues and get documented proof to pass on to your employer.
That takes money, and, frankly, once you go to an employer with any sort of medical problem -- especially back problems -- you most likely WILL be fired and an employer can always find a reason. You will also have a very, very difficult time getting another job.

That is the reality of how things work on this side of the border, I'm afraid, and it's not speculation or talking about something I don't know anything about, that's from someone who's not only been in the workforce, doing retail as well as working in a factory (for awhile as a temp, and trust me there is nothing lower on the totem than a temp factory worker) and as a paralegal handling all manner of workers' comp and workers' rights cases in state and federal courts.

Retail employers like to hire students, especially, because there are a lot of them, they're young, inexperienced and won't rock the boat (usually) and are malleable and don't know what to expect, what (very few) rights they have, and are still young enough that most haven't shaken off the mindset of being disciplined or run over by authority figures.

If you're able to wear comfortable shoes in a retail setting, DO IT, like everyone says. I worked in a music store where we were expected to dress like we would in an office Thin carpet over a concrete floor. Even flats didn't help. Dansko or Born clogs can be your best friend

There are a lot of trade-offs when you're starting out working, and it can be hard, working through them. Venting helps

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-11-2012, 03:08 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyQueen View Post
Why is only wanting to work 4 or 5 hours making someone lazy - or rather not have a realistic perception of a job? I know a bunch of people (myself included) , who work a retail job who have 3-5 hour shifts without a problem. Of course there will be days where you'll need to say longer.. but if your usual shifts are 4-5 hours, then I don't see a problem.
I get pissy if I have to work 3 days in a row for 9 hours (full time the store is open) if I have school, because it's not something I CAN do - I have to study, and I have SCHOOL.
As a student, my main "career" is going to school - not working full time in retail. I work because I want to. I can't do more than 15 hours a week though, because of my school schedule and because I need time to study. I can totally understand not wanting to work 8 or 9 hours shifts - esp. if you were told that working 5 hours wasn't going to be a problem .
This

Yeah I Don't get all the fuss everyone is making about it either. I work two days a week. 4 hours each day. Those hours do exsist. If you work more hours... Good for you. Give yourself a pat on the back but not every person is cut out for the same job, same schedule, same hours, etc. Stop nagging her

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 09-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I think it's frustrating for some when someone has the luxury to work so few hours and get by financially but still complains, this is however the venting thread. Emotions aren't always rational and we forget sometimes that there are often medical reasonings for such work choices.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

When someone talks crap about you, and they don't even know you. A girl that I only know because she is friends with a friend of mine, is apparently talking crap about me because I'm a "liberal" and I "like Obama". How she would even know that, I'm unsure. I've never met the girl a day in my life or even talked to her before. Makes my claws come out though. This is why I hate females.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 09-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Glutton for Crazy

How dare someone like Obama.