Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
People in cars follow all traffic laws at all times, right?

There is no speeding, rolling through stop signs, speeding up for yellows, or running red lights. I've never had to wait on a green for the people running the left turn light's red. I've also never seen a car parked in a bike lane or fail to signal before cutting off a cyclist.

People are so used to these "small" violations that they don't even see them, but then a person on a bike does something and everyone notices. Most people realize they do not have 2 tons of metal and 10 airbags on a bike. Most of them intend to stay alive. Occasionally, someone is clueless and does something really dangerous, but at least they're mostly a danger to themselves.
Ok, yeah that....said what I was meaning so much clearer
Old 07-23-2014, 02:35 PM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
People in cars follow all traffic laws at all times, right?

There is no speeding, rolling through stop signs, speeding up for yellows, or running red lights. I've never had to wait on a green for the people running the left turn light's red. I've also never seen a car parked in a bike lane or fail to signal before cutting off a cyclist.

People are so used to these "small" violations that they don't even see them, but then a person on a bike does something and everyone notices. Most people realize they do not have 2 tons of metal and 10 airbags on a bike. Most of them intend to stay alive. Occasionally, someone is clueless and does something really dangerous, but at least they're mostly a danger to themselves.
Yup, this.

Like if I have the choice of (safely) running a red light, as opposed to waiting at the redlight while a huge truck pulls up next to me and can't really see me... you can be darn sure that if I can safely run the red light, that I WILL.

Seriously though, there are so many motorists unaware of bikers it can be a real danger. I got hit by a car once - on my bike - while waiting on a red light because the guy backed up into me and didn't realize what happened until the guy in back of me started honking. My waving and yelling didn't do anything. Now I always pull up to the front of the line.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Fishies!

I'll sit at red lights. Portland's green bike boxes on the bike routes are nice for that, you pull to the front and get in front of the cars. Of course once I did have a lady come flying around me, stop in the bike box, then do a right on red (which is prohibited from behind the bike boxes). Big trucks are an issue, but I'll normally out accelerate them anyway. Or just stop right in the middle of the lane. Most people wont run you over if you're there, it would scratch their paint!

Every year though they do a stop sign sting at Ladds Circle. Its a traffic circle, on a bike route, except they have stop signs... While there is some concern for pedestrians, the sightlines aren't bad, and there have been no major accidents, injuries, or fatalities there while that can't be said of many other places in town. If anything, they should do a pedestrian crossing sting, no one is blindly riding out in front of a car (to their own death).
Old 07-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Top Dog

I am so angry. I have ordered THREE chargers (all different sellers/brands) for my laptop, all of which say they are compatible with the model I have, and NONE of them have fit. How can they be compatible when the charger doesn't even fit into the port!?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Top Dog

My dad's in the hospital right now and I really could use some support from my best friend, but every time I reach out to him he shoots me down. I feel very unloved.

And now I'm irrationally angry that he 'liked' my status about my dad on facebook--if you can't be bothered to TEXT ME BACK (within 48 hours, even) don't pretend you care publicly.

Jerkoff.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

Ever so slightly annoyed with the fact that I can never trust anyone. Ever. Never ever ever. WTF is even the point of trying to trust someone and be there for them if they're just going to be another fake? I am honestly just sick of it.

I'd love to say that I've lost my best friend... but I never actually had one. He was just a silhouette of a real friend. Darn shame, because if he'd have been real with me from the very beginning... it would never have had to end like this. I'd have still been there for him like I was the entire time we had been friends.

At least at the end of the day, I still know I'm me and I don't need an illusion to hide behind to have friends. I may not be a people person, but I'm scared not to show people who I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hl_NBTMELo
Old 07-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
My dad's in the hospital right now and I really could use some support from my best friend, but every time I reach out to him he shoots me down. I feel very unloved.

And now I'm irrationally angry that he 'liked' my status about my dad on facebook--if you can't be bothered to TEXT ME BACK (within 48 hours, even) don't pretend you care publicly.

Jerkoff.
*hugs* I'm sorry about your friend, and I hope your dad is alright!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacuptiger View Post
*hugs* I'm sorry about your friend, and I hope your dad is alright!
Thank you--and it's looking better for my dad. :] We're hoping he can come home soon.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:26 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post

Jerkoff.
That exact thing is the reason I don't really let to many people get too close, I have many many "aquaintences" but only like ... two or three really close friends who I can confide in.

I am sorry you are going through this, I hope things improve, I really do.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:30 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacuptiger View Post
Ever so slightly annoyed with the fact that I can never trust anyone. Ever. Never ever ever. WTF is even the point of trying to trust someone and be there for them if they're just going to be another fake? I am honestly just sick of it.

I'd love to say that I've lost my best friend... but I never actually had one. He was just a silhouette of a real friend. Darn shame, because if he'd have been real with me from the very beginning... it would never have had to end like this. I'd have still been there for him like I was the entire time we had been friends.

At least at the end of the day, I still know I'm me and I don't need an illusion to hide behind to have friends. I may not be a people person, but I'm scared not to show people who I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hl_NBTMELo

Your post resonated with me because although I try to have friendships, if almost never works out. I have many aquaintences but few friends for this reason.

(((((((Hugs)))))))))) to you and I am sorry for the loss of your friendship.