Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-09-2014, 02:21 PM
The Monster.

I got tired of being told that my advice wouldn't work.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 05-09-2014, 02:33 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to word this so here it goes:

The reason you aren't getting the replies you seem to want is that no one really knows what to tell you. No one is replying because no one has anything left to say. Almost all advice or suggestions you've been given have been brushed away as something that won't work or you want even more detailed, step by step instructions.

The issues with that is that step by step instructions, over the internet, to a dog we don't know are very difficult. Dog training is fluid, it changes depending on the dog, the handler, the environment, the wants, the skill level of all involved etc. Someone could give you the most detailed step by step instructions around but that doesn't guarantee anything will work, you still will probably have to tweak and adjust based on you and your dogs.

And that takes us to the other issue, you're asking for something that this forum just isn't going to supply. We are discussion based, we like to bounce ideas off of each other, ask for suggestions and have conversations. This forum isn't going to act as an instructional pamphlet and trying to force everyone on here to do that has just resulted in no one replying to your threads.

You've been given a lot of good advice on how to teach a drop, I would suggest rereading that thread and really trying some of the suggestions. Don't assume they won't work for your dog, try them, pay attention to what she's doing and adjust from there. Take a video or yourself and her during a training session and watch it after. You could even post that on here so that people can give better advice because they can see what and how you are training. Try Allie's advice and go to some real life classes with her, talk to a trainer in person who can watch and help you.

My last piece of advice is instead of trying to force and create topics like you've been doing, join into some of the existing topics. Talk on some of the other threads, add your experiences to other threads people have made.

Let us get to know you and your dog.
Hooray for saying what I was trying to figure out how to word.

My vent -

It is so humid here, I think the carpet is retaining moisture. OMG I'M GOING TO DIE AND IT ISN'T EVEN SUNNY OUTSIDE. On the plus side, my skin isn't dry for the first time since winter. But HOLY CRAP.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

Just another YES to Linds post....I kept trying to respond but could not get it to sound right.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
I got tired of being told that my advice wouldn't work.
Yeah ... that time you (general you) will never get back : /

Old 05-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

Neighbor dog please shut up. Please stop barking. Please. I have a migraine. I am noise sensitive. I've had the migraine three days. I'm begging you to PLEASE stop barking.

The dog barks LITERALLY all day while the owners are at work, non stop, from 8AM to 6PM. It wears a bark collar. When I sit at the computer, the dog sits and barks, and is maybe 20 feet from my head with only a wooden fence between us. It's a Maltese (mix?) and it wears a shock collar.

Bark-yelp! Bark bark bark yelp! BARK BARK BAR--yarp yelp!

All.
day.
long.

eta: oh my god this worked it shut up bliss

Last edited by Red.Apricot; 05-09-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

Mu and Murphy caught an immensely stupid squirrel today. Instead of eating it they jacked around and it bit Mu twice. My dad had to chase it down and kill it with a shovel which ohmygod I'm glad he was there but I can never unsee that.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
Neighbor dog please shut up. Please stop barking. Please. I have a migraine. I am noise sensitive. I've had the migraine three days. I'm begging you to PLEASE stop barking.

The dog barks LITERALLY all day while the owners are at work, non stop, from 8AM to 6PM. It wears a bark collar. When I sit at the computer, the dog sits and barks, and is maybe 20 feet from my head with only a wooden fence between us. It's a Maltese (mix?) and it wears a shock collar.

Bark-yelp! Bark bark bark yelp! BARK BARK BAR--yarp yelp!

All.
day.
long.

eta: oh my god this worked it shut up bliss
geeze : /, you'd think it would learn not to bark after being shocked.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:18 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
geeze : /, you'd think it would learn not to bark after being shocked.
At this point, I think the barking is more rewarding than the punishment. :/ That is one thing I will agree with...better to only use one hard correction than a ton of annoying, little nags that teach nothing and just frustrate the dog (and John Q Public, because the dog "doesn't get it").

Maybe the owners don't know it is barking, thinking the shock collar "fixed it"?

Old 05-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
At this point, I think the barking is more rewarding than the punishment. :/ That is one thing I will agree with...better to only use one hard correction than a ton of annoying, little nags that teach nothing and just frustrate the dog (and John Q Public, because the dog "doesn't get it").

Maybe the owners don't know it is barking, thinking the shock collar "fixed it"?
They know, lol.

A few days ago it was barking at me and Elsie when we were in the yard, and Elsie jumped at the fence and woofed, and I said, "Elsie SHUT UP I don't CARE if that horrible dog barks NON STOP EVERY DAY WHICH IT DOES, YOU DON'T JOIN IN!"

aaaand then there's this quiet, "Okay, let's go inside," from the other side of the fence.

Whoops.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
They know, lol.

A few days ago it was barking at me and Elsie when we were in the yard, and Elsie jumped at the fence and woofed, and I said, "Elsie SHUT UP I don't CARE if that horrible dog barks NON STOP EVERY DAY WHICH IT DOES, YOU DON'T JOIN IN!"

aaaand then there's this quiet, "Okay, let's go inside," from the other side of the fence.

Whoops.
Bwahahaha that's awesome.