Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #12091  
Old 03-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Xandra's Avatar
Xandra Xandra is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,781
Default

I would even accept a zero if I had actually handed it in late, but it wasn't late except for her weird interpretation of "due at 11:59" to mean "due at 11:58."

I'm not sure how successful I'll be. The course is known to be graded anally and they only give 5 days to dispute your grade from when the grades are released, which has passed, but I didn't realize they had been because they don't send out notification or anything.

I'm still working up the nerve to send off the first email
Reply With Quote
  #12092  
Old 03-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Xandra's Avatar
Xandra Xandra is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,781
Default

Apparently it is indeed late because while it was stated everywhere that it was merely due at 11:59, it was actually due at 11:59.00 and I submitted it 11:59.01-11:59.59.

ETA well she assumes I submitted it 11:59.01-11:59.59. Her email doesn't specify that she confirmed that I didn't submit it at 11:59.00. I'm not sure the turn-in website actually counts seconds.

Last edited by Xandra; 03-04-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12093  
Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 PM
joce's Avatar
joce joce is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,131
Default

^ I am sorry but that is insane!! I went to the head of the department over a instructor saying I wrote a D worthy paper. I'd also go over this!
__________________


If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Reply With Quote
  #12094  
Old 03-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce View Post
^ I am sorry but that is insane!! I went to the head of the department over a instructor saying I wrote a D worthy paper. I'd also go over this!
Agreed completely.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #12095  
Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 PM
GoingNowhere's Avatar
GoingNowhere GoingNowhere is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce View Post
^ I am sorry but that is insane!! I went to the head of the department over a instructor saying I wrote a D worthy paper. I'd also go over this!
Also agreed. TAs don't have a whole lot of power in the scheme of things. Have you gone to the professor first and foremost (that is, if the TA won't be reasonable?) Honestly, syllabuses are essentially a contract between a professor and a class. It is your professor's duty to honor that contract, provided that the deadline was written down.

ETA: I'm amazed you were brave enough to submit it in such a crunch! I am always panicked that the website will glitch when I have online assignments due But I definitely believe that you are in the right in this situation provided that you did get it in at 11:59!
__________________
-GoingNowhere



My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #12096  
Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 PM
JazzyTheSibe's Avatar
JazzyTheSibe JazzyTheSibe is offline
Dogless
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 587
Default

My ipod won't charge

I tried two different charges, the cord, & the other part. Went to different outlets, still won't charge. I dropped back in October, & the screen cracked, it charged fine.I dropped it again in the snow, & it won't charge. Weird things is that, it would charge right after I dropped it, but now it won't charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Agreed completely.
x3
__________________

Jazzy 5 y/o. Siberian
Reply With Quote
  #12097  
Old 03-04-2014, 10:27 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Apparently it is indeed late because while it was stated everywhere that it was merely due at 11:59, it was actually due at 11:59.00 and I submitted it 11:59.01-11:59.59.

ETA well she assumes I submitted it 11:59.01-11:59.59. Her email doesn't specify that she confirmed that I didn't submit it at 11:59.00. I'm not sure the turn-in website actually counts seconds.
This is what I was going to say. She probably meant when the clock struck 11:59, it had to be handed in. Not when the clock said 11:59, because technically then it wasn't handed in for 11:59.
__________________
Ella: 2 1/2 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~7 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #12098  
Old 03-04-2014, 10:35 PM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
This is what I was going to say. She probably meant when the clock struck 11:59, it had to be handed in. Not when the clock said 11:59, because technically then it wasn't handed in for 11:59.
But that's BY 11:59, not AT 11:59, isn't it?

Semantics aside, the question is would a reasonable person assume that a deadline of 11:59 PM on such date mean "before 11:59," or mean "before midnight?"
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #12099  
Old 03-04-2014, 10:41 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,111
Default

It's OTE=Beanie;2352684]But that's BY 11:59, not AT 11:59, isn't it?

Semantics aside, the question is would a reasonable person assume that a deadline of 11:59 PM on such date mean "before 11:59," or mean "before midnight?"[/QUOTE]

It's.. Yah. *I* would say by 11:59, but one could assume *at* 11:59 is 11:59:00 it is due at. I would expect otherwise that it would have said due at midnight.

ETA: yah, it pretty well can go either way, and should be more clear rather than so open to interpretation.
__________________
Ella: 2 1/2 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~7 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #12100  
Old 03-04-2014, 10:52 PM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I would expect otherwise that it would have said due at midnight.
What is your interpretation of "midnight on 3/8?" Does that mean when the clock rolls over to midnight the evening of 3/7, or when the clock rolls over to midnight the evening of 3/8? And do you believe your interpretation is necessarily the same as any other given person's?
Again, the question is what would a reasonable person assume. I can tell you from experience people do not always interpret, nor mean, "midnight on such-date" to be the technical by-the-clock definition. It will happen at midnight on 12/31 - New Years!! Except that is technically midnight on 1/1.

If, instead, you say "at 11:59pm on 3/8," that makes it obvious the assignment is due before the clock rolls onto midnight the evening of 3/8.
It does NOT make it clear it's due before the clock rolls to 11:59pm.

One COULD assume "at 11:59" means "before 11:59." The question is would a reasonable person assume that. I submit not.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site