Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-28-2014, 12:46 AM
Twin 2.0

Oh, I feel like I"m getting sick? Let's stay up until midnight drinking and reading fanfic!

Because I am an adult.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Oh, I feel like I"m getting sick? Let's stay up until midnight drinking and reading fanfic!

Because I am an adult.
I feel like we'd be such good friends.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-28-2014, 09:46 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I don't think a difference clinic would make a difference at all, because it isn't the clinic/co-workers, it's the clients that cause all the stress. Except for maybe if they were so terrible that nobody wanted to go there. So...Banfield? HAH!
Clients at a vet clinic causing stress? I'm shocked, wait no I'm not. A veterinarian I was peripherally acquainted with committed suicide recently. It's rough out there, man.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:55 AM
I'm All Ears

Still home sick.

I'm supposed to have a full day of dog stuff tomorrow and I don't want to miss it! Argh!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I would never go back as management because I HATED every aspect of being management. And it is stressful. And yes, as an AM I would have to work 38 hours per week. I could do Supervisor, but again, it's management and I freaking hated it. The stress would leave me exactly where I am now. I need a job right now where I can go to work, give zero f*ucks and do my job, then go home.

I know it is. And even though my list of pros and cons very very obviously points to staying at the clinic, all I want to do is leave. Stupid insurance.
Hotel night audit! Man I miss working audit
Old 02-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Clients at a vet clinic causing stress? I'm shocked, wait no I'm not. A veterinarian I was peripherally acquainted with committed suicide recently. It's rough out there, man.
Its amazing how many of my coworkers admit that they are borderline alcoholics because of the field. Its insane, and not something I am able to deal with, I'm finding.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Its amazing how many of my coworkers admit that they are borderline alcoholics because of the field. Its insane, and not something I am able to deal with, I'm finding.
It does take insanely thick skin to work in a vet clinic. I'm not afraid to say that I stopped caring a good 4 years ago. It's just work now, I don't even bitch about clients anymore because that's how little I care. It's a certain detachment that comes with time. Now that being the case, I'm not a vet, I don't have to deal with the consequences of every little decision I make. I learned very fast when I started working at a clinic that the vet career path was not one I was going to succeed in and dropped out of pre-vet quickly.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 02-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post

Because I am an adult.
Awesome. That is all.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:53 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
There's definitely a learning curve and a lot of people burn out. I go through alternating phases of love and hate, myself.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I found that I was able to deal with the stress of it when I was just working at the clinic and that was all I had to deal with. Now that I threw school into the mix, which is also very stressful (in a general school way with tests and such, the actual field I'm going into has quite low stress itself), I just can't handle it.

And at the clinic there are definitely days that I'm like "I can do this! This is fine!" but they tend to be few days that we actually have same-day appointments available, or nobody has an emergency. But the norm for our clinic is to be booked out at least 3-4 days in advance, and the evenings where we have 5 people call because their dogs eye is swollen shut, their dog hasn't eaten in 5 days and is vomiting, their cat can't pee. And to have me be the bad guy and tell them to get their pet to the e-clinic almost always results in anger from them. IT'S NOT MY FAULT WE ARE BOOKED. IT'S NOT MY FAULT YOU DIDN'T CALL 5 DAYS AGO! If I get told one more time that I must hate animals because we won't do services for free and require payment up front, I might kill someone.

I don't think it helps any that I work in a very affluent neighborhood and therefore everyone is entitled to everything, and they came here one time 4 years ago so they shouldn't have to go to the e-clinic, we should just drop everything because their pet is sick!

/rant.

Doesn't help that my old boss told me to name the date that I want to come back and I'll be on the schedule. Do want.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.