Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-30-2013, 10:44 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I feel like I'm just too old to date somebody who lives three hours away. I own a house. I'm busy. I don't want to spend six hours every weekends on the road, or ask somebody else to do that, or build a relationship off just seeing each other on Skype and just the weekends. At some point one of us will have to move, and what if it doesn't work out? Disaster. No. I just don't want to do it.
The problem is it feels like there would be date-worthy guys in these places. Densely populated locations like Chicago or St. Louis or Indianapolis, go figure, offer more guys who seem like they could actually be winners. Sucks.

Also I'm DEFINITELY too old to date the guy who rests his sunglasses on the back of his neck. Who does that?? Ew.
I bolded that because I have seen a lot of that down here and I HATE it! Almost as much as guys who say their pants ... ESP the jeggings ... Who the **** gets a pair of pants that are supposed to be tight and sag them! Wtf???

Old 12-30-2013, 10:55 PM
such sights to show you

The high tomorrow is supposed to be -1F. I don't mind sitting around the house communing with Netflix, except that these dogs are going to kill me with their cabin fever soon. I might take The Boy out for a short run regardless of the weather.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Also I'm DEFINITELY too old to date the guy who rests his sunglasses on the back of his neck. Who does that?? Ew.
My mom's second husband did that, and he was well into his late 40's when he died. It's more common the more south you go, I find.

My vent is that it's just being generally wet and nasty, like most Mississippi winters. I miss Northern winters. Crisp, cold, clean. Not soppy, wet, overcast, gross, everything icing because of the humidity type of crap. I can't even take Zane walking in this sort of weather, because it kills my lungs and I'll be coughing for days.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
So Huck is actually a girl.

And is in heat.

On the plus side, Huckleberry is a super cute name for a girl kitten.

Don't spay her now, wait until the heat is over.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Twin 2.0

So a week from now? Huck is in standing estrus, or at least the beginnings of it. From what I've been reading and other people have commented on my FB post, it can be nearly impossible to catch them out of heat?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:13 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
So a week from now? Huck is in standing estrus, or at least the beginnings of it. From what I've been reading and other people have commented on my FB post, it can be nearly impossible to catch them out of heat?
Well, I suppose you could breed her, and then spay-abort :P She won't be in heat?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:22 AM
Bored Now.

Quote:
A spay's more dangerous and expensive during heat. If you can live with it for two weeks you're good.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
A spay's more dangerous and expensive during heat. If you can live with it for two weeks you're good.
While there are higher risks when an animal is in heat, I work a spay/neuter clinic and we do it frequently and have never had an issue, yet. We spay/neuter about 160 cats/week and 50 dogs.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 12-31-2013, 09:12 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
That's what I thought to? That "queens" (The term I believe for unspayed female cats) pretty much stayed in heat until they were bred.

@Sael that's actually what happened to one of our barn cats, we took her to the vet when we thought she was out of heat and it turned out that she was pregnant :P so we spay aborted.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:21 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Once they go into heat, most female cats will go in and out of heat more or less continuously until they are bred because they are induced ovulators rather than having a defined cycle. It will usually stop eventually for a "season" (usually winter up here) but it will come and go until then, sometimes predictably and sometimes not.

For cats, it is much much safer to spay during heat than for dogs. The tissues aren't as delicate, they don't carry as much fat around the vessels so everything is much easier to see and handle, and even the increased blood supply isn't proportionally as huge as for a dog. Bottom line - I would just spay her, personally.