Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM
Squishy face

Default Does this scare the crap out of anyone else??

PeTA brought a lawsuit in Buenos Aires and the court "freed" an orangutan from a zoo, and it was sent to a sanctuary, because the court recognized the orangutan as a non-human person and granted it the right of freedom.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/captive-or...203651528.html

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old Today, 12:18 AM
Fiona and two crazy poops

This is... really freakin strange. At least he's in a sanctuary and not getting a drivers license. LOL

Lancer & Rara
Lancer - Aussie
Rara - MAS
Fiona - human

Old Today, 12:23 AM
Taxiderpy

The Indian government recognizes cetaceans as non human persons and made it illegal to keep them captive for entertainment. This is the first I've heard of it being extended to a primate. I wonder what the rest of the story is. Maybe the conditions at the zoo were bad enough the court felt it warranted intervention.

ETA: I'm still not understanding how transferring them to a sanctuary is any different from a zoo. Both are facilities that keep them captive. It's not like the orangutang has the freedom to leave the sanctuary and go to McDonalds for a soda or anything. Unless a non human person is able to be returned to their wild environment some kind of physical restraints will always be necessary for them to coexist safely in human society.
Old Today, 01:00 AM
Top Dog

After watching videos of Koko the gorilla, I'm inclined to believe apes should be given some sort of distinction from most animals.

Old Today, 01:21 AM
Fiona and two crazy poops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post
After watching videos of Koko the gorilla, I'm inclined to believe apes should be given some sort of distinction from most animals.
If this were the case, I'd hope a few other equally or more intelligent species would also get the same distinction... dolphins, certain species of parrots, and elephants, just to name the few. Dolphins and parrots in particular don't have hands like apes to learn sign language, but their emotions and emotional intelligence are uncannily close to humans.

Lancer & Rara
Lancer - Aussie
Rara - MAS
Fiona - human

Old Today, 01:24 AM
Taxiderpy

Sad thing is that in many places humans with developmental disabilities don't even have those rights.