Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

Hmm..things to think about. I would only consider a single family home, no apartments or multi-families.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:44 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I used to rent. I had a horrible time finding a place to rent when we moved to another state -- and at the time I just had Kim and Webster. Finally found an apartment that didn't have a weight restriction (the most lenient we had found til then had a 2-dog, 30lb TOTAL weight limit), and they banned us because I couldn't prove Kim was NOT part German Shepherd.

Picture of Kim at the time:

We finally found a place to rent -- a house with private ownership. Paid out the nose. But they did let us bring home Mira a year later so I guess I can't complain. Though finding another place to rent would have been a nightmare...fortunately we purchased a home after that.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 09-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Glutton for Crazy

We've shockingly had the best luck by way of dog tolerance from a high rise apt. The private owners have always been super afraid of the liability of renting to too many or my type of dogs. Our apt was one of the only pit bull friendly places and they impressively loved them but it was insanely expensive.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
We've shockingly had the best luck by way of dog tolerance from a high rise apt. The private owners have always been super afraid of the liability of renting to too many or my type of dogs. Our apt was one of the only pit bull friendly places and they impressively loved them but it was insanely expensive.
Yep, I've rented for the past 12 years, and I really prefer large apartment complexes. Here in Ontario, landlords can't legally stop you from having pets, and I like the anonymity of living large buildings. No one cared when I added another dog, and I've seen all sorts of breeds here, including Dobes and Rotties.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Squishy face

I rent with roommates, and I don't personally own a dog, but my roommate owns a pomeranian named Miles, and it is really easy to find rentals that allow small dogs. The difficult part for us was the prohibitive pet deposits, which range from $400-$500, some of which may or may not be refundable depending on the lease. Some places also charge pet rent every month on top of your regular rent (at our apartment it was $25).

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:32 AM
Let it be

Yes and it sucks. You legally can only have two unless you apply for a kennel lisence. One dog over the 20lb weight limit is brutal let alone two. I'd never add another while having to rent. If Bandit passes on and I am still renting i will only consider a small dog as it is such a pain!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:38 AM
*Now with Snark*

I have a long term lease. It's all the freedom of buying - sans the taxes.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:34 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

The apartment I'm still in the process of moving out of only allows 2 dogs. They don't have a weight limit, but the deposit was $300 PER dog on top of a $25 pet rent per dog every month.

Now we have three and I know that makes finding rentals tough. Luckily we found a place we can live at for as long as we need to until we find a rental that is fine with the animals.
I did find a few places that would allow all three dogs so they're out there but you are definitely limited.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Top Dog

No way would I add a 4th while renting. One dog cuts your options down by 75%. Two dogs knocks it down another 50%. Three dogs means only the most lenient of landlords will allow you. Of all the rentable places here, I'd say 1/100 would allow 3 dogs.

4? Four would basically require a private landlord who didn't care at all about what you did. Four is that magic number where you just have a heck of a lot of dogs. An acquaintance has 8. She rented waaaaaaaay out in the country (65 miles out), and she always put down 4 on her rental apps. Her logic was that anyone lenient enough to allow 4 didn't really care how many dogs you actually had. She ended up with some really awful landlords who never fixed anything, houses that were falling apart, and some fairly dangerous situations, but it was what it took to allow her to have dogs.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Top Dog

I use to rent from a random individual I found online. I didn't have any dogs at that time but did tell her I was interested in one or two. She was pretty cool about it and the only stipulation was Yoshi had to be crated or out back when I wasn't home and any dog I got had to be ok with her dog.

Now I rent from my dad and the rule is pretty much I can have any pets I want as long and I take care of them and don't let them trash the place.