What to make with blackberries and hazelnuts?

Romy

Taxiderpy
They're in season now, and we've got a kitchen full. Any suggestions? Usually we'll go with a bunch of cobbler and pie, then freeze the rest for later. Looking for some new ideas. :popcorn:

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Mmm pie. Maybe muffins? Here's a neat recipe for blackberry zucchini bread that sounds awesome.

Blackberry Zucchini Bread/Cake

3 eggs

1 c. sugar (I like to use brown sugar)

2 c. raw zucchini

1 ½ c. blackberries

1 c. oil

2 tsp. vanilla

2 ½ c. flour

1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. baking soda

3 tsp. cinnamon

½ tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two loaf pans. Mix the eggs and sugar thoroughly. Add the oil and vanilla, and mix thoroughly again. Then add the zucchini and blackberries and mix slowly (Everything can be mixed all at once, but I found it was less messy to do it this way.). Once the mixture is blended, add the dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until the batter is completely blended. Divide the batter into the two loaf pans and bake for 45min. (Or until knife inserted in center comes out clean).

I make fresh blackberry pie.

Bake 2 pie shells.

Crush enough berries to make about a cup and a half or so of juice, sweeten (how much depends on how sweet the berries are), add a dash of lemon juice, thicken with cornstarch or unflavored gelatin.

Pile the fresh berries in your pie shell (sweetened if they need it), pour the thickened juice over the berries, making sure you get them coated. This is what makes them hold together. Refrigerate to set.

If you don't have enough berries to crush and make juice, you can use blackberry jello.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Oooh, that's a new one. Usually we bake the berries, definitely will try that.

And :rofl1: at not enough berries. There's four gallons in the kitchen right now with billions more just outside the doorstep. Around here they grow in any empty bit of ground they can claim and come in thick as grape clusters. The vines are so aggressive they eat abandoned cars and untended houses.

That's the way they are here. It's just a matter of how many you want to pick.

After making blackberry pie that way, I never make traditional baked ones anymore, and everyone asks for these instead.

You can grind up the hazelnuts coarsely and use them in the pie crust -- grind some fine and use it for the flour and you have a gluten free pie! Maybe cut it with some finely ground oats, add melted butter, some salt and mix it to a dough consistency and pat it out into the pie pan and bake.

GipsyQueen

I still have about 5 pounds of blackberries from my parent's garden in my freezer. I'll probs be making jam and blackberry crumble at some point. :)

Blackberry crumble is basically the same recipe as apple crumble, only with blackberries. So. Good.

Lyzelle

Blackberries and dumplings! Sort of like cobbler....but ovbiously not and cooked on the stovetop. Family favorite. I'll pull the recipe up later, on my phone now.

I freeze most of mine -- lay them out on cookie sheets covered with wax paper (in several layers) and freeze them as individual berries. Once they're frozen they're bagged in small freezer bags, then three or four of those in a large freezer bag. I can use them as if they're fresh that way.

Members online

No members online now.