Cheapo minivan recommendations please!

chaospony

Not going to be able to afford it until next Spring but does anyone have recomendations on minivans? Going to be buying used, probably well used!

The most I can spend is $5000. Less is better, much much better!
As long as it will last a few years I am happy.

Been doing my research and I have a bunch I am considering but it's always nice to hear first hand accounts ( and horror stories) from people who have owned them!

Xandra

We have these pathetic old ford Aerostars, my dad figures a low mileage one is the best bang for your buck if you don't care about niceties. I will admit we've owned 2 (short wheelbase) over about 15 years with very few problems (the first was crushed by a big tree, the second is still going strong).

Last edited:

Miakoda

I did lots of research into minivans (those priced below $10,000) before we were able to get the Suburban we have now (after my dad died).

My strong opinion:

Look for a Homda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna with higher mileage that would be the same price as a Chrysler, Dodge, Chevy, Ford, or Kia (or any other make). The quality of the Hondas and Toyotas is so far above that of the others.

I'd rather a 2006 Odyssey with 150,000 miles on it than a 2009 Chrysler/Didge/whatever with 80,000 miles on it. JMO

yoko

My family had Grand Caravan from late 90s. I can't remember the year but I know I was in middle school when we got it. Anyway we drove it like crazy and then sold it to a fellow church member when my brother and I graduated. They still have it and it runs amazing still. The only issue is one of the doors is sticky. So it's annoying but not super bad.

If you can find an older one where someone has kept all maintenance records and kept up on everything you might try it out and have your mechanic look at it. But the newer ones that are mid to late 00s I'd avoid. I've had friends with them and they didn't last long at all.

joce

I know so many people with caravans with issues. Friend got a used but newer one recently and it's in all the time for check engine lights and electrical crap.

Pops2

on our second dodge, the first one had 170k miles when we had our first big issue (heater control head) it got killed by some kid slaming into the back of it w/a f150. the second is coming up on 130K no problems yet.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
I did lots of research into minivans (those priced below $10,000) before we were able to get the Suburban we have now (after my dad died).

My strong opinion:

Look for a Homda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna with higher mileage that would be the same price as a Chrysler, Dodge, Chevy, Ford, or Kia (or any other make). The quality of the Hondas and Toyotas is so far above that of the others.

I'd rather a 2006 Odyssey with 150,000 miles on it than a 2009 Chrysler/Didge/whatever with 80,000 miles on it. JMO
I agree!

Agree with avoiding used Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth minivans, unless you can find one that still has a manufacturer's warranty. The one I had was spacious, comfy, good performance... and a piece of dookie caca. Transmission problems, electrical problems, cooling problems, and so on. You had to really have a sense of humor pushing --errr, driving-- that beast.

My dad had two of the GMC Safaris in succession, bought used -- at least 275,000 miles on both of them (probably close to 300,000) before he had to do anything major and he can kill ANYTHING. No maintenance, bad about not checking the oil, not changing oil, not getting tune ups, checking fluids, and he used them as work vans, including off road out on surveys.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I agree about the odysseys. We have an odyssey but we bought new... Planninh on making it last forever lol. We have had it about 4years
Now. The only problem we have ever had was with the rollers in the back side door but a lot of that is from opening it and closing it so much on our incline driveway. That door put up with a lot of abuse and it was still under warranty so it didn't cost us a dime to have all new rollers put in on all the doors.

I put that vehicle through a lot
Of abuse lol

chaospony

Thanks guys for comfirming what my research has been telling me.
I am hoping to pick up an Odyssey or Sienna when the time comes but they are few and far between. Makes sense since they seem to last.

I figure since my only criteria is the seats fold flat and the inside isn't completely revolting, I should be able to get lucky! It's primarily going to be a dog hauler anyway and my girls don't exactly travel well. It will be yucky with drool and vomit in no time!

Members online