Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Obey the Toad.

Default English Shepherds vs. Other Herders

How to they compare?

I've only net one, and he seemed lovely. I love the look and athleticism of must herding dogs but see many that are sharp and super intense, which I am not a big fan of. My general impression of English shepherds is that they are less so but was looking for others opinions....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm All Ears

I'm not very familiar with English shepherds but I will say that in my experience collies (rough and smooth) are a lot less intense and more laid back than other herding breeds I've been around.

Last edited by Laurelin; 09-05-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Have you looked at the ES rescue website? They have quite a bit of good info... Www.nesr.info

Everything I've ever learned about then suggests they are a pretty variable breed...from workaholics to more laud back dogs...from very biddable to more independent. They don't seem to have the frantic energy of some breeds in the group...but they should have very strong working instincts if that makes sense.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Twin 2

They to me from what I've heard and listening to Sit Stay is they are kinda like the Aussies of yesterday. Good all around farm dogs that can do some hunting, herding, guarding and curl up with the kids. Less sharp but very versatile, intelligent dogs. Without the proneness to neurotic traits a lot of herders have.

But, they also seem to vary A LOT. So you'll probably find all ends of the spectrum.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
They to me from what I've heard and listening to Sit Stay is they are kinda like the Aussies of yesterday. Good all around farm dogs that can do some hunting, herding, guarding and curl up with the kids. Less sharp but very versatile, intelligent dogs. Without the proneness to neurotic traits a lot of herders have.

But, they also seem to vary A LOT. So you'll probably find all ends of the spectrum.
I've been researching Aussies a lot lately *cough* and I think the 'aussie of yesterday' is very much still around. From talking to Keechak (Erin) there are really three styles of Aussie breeders these days. There are traditional ranch bred dogs bred strictly for cattle. Then there are dual type breeders breeding for ASCA show and trial and all around work. Then dogs bred primarily for AKC show ring. My obedience trainer has a working line aussie that is very traditionally ranch bred. Very very neat and cool dog. Very small, solid red merle with no copper and very minimal flash. The other people at the club have aussies too and those dogs all look very traditional too. Just in a short amount of time I can find quite a few Aussie breeders breeding for work in some form or fashion. That is assuming you mean the Aussie of today is the type of dog you see at Westminster every year. There's a big range in the breed between the Slash V style working dogs and then the Westminster BOB. lots of in between.

That's a little bit off topic, sorry! I'm not sure how working ES compare to working Aussies.

English shepherds are definitely overall bigger than Aussies. I was looking at ES websites last night and many bitches were 60 lbs and some of the males were up in the 80s and 90 lbs. Of course some dogs looked smaller as they vary a lot but they definitely get bigger than a typical Aussie.

I love the thought of an all around farm type dog a lot.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I've been researching Aussies a lot lately *cough* and I think the 'aussie of yesterday' is very much still around.
I actually didn't mean to imply at all that that type wasn't still around. I just was trying to figure out how to exactly word the type of Aussie I was thinking of. I really just meant the all around good farm and ranch dog a lot of the older time Aussies seemed to be. I didn't mean they weren't still around! I was searching Aussie breeders awhile back for someone and found a lot of ones that seemed to be staying true to their roots.

I hope Charlotte sees this thread, I sent it to her so hopefully she'll come on here soon!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm All Ears

Oh okay. That makes sense.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Professional Nerd

My in-laws just lost their English Shepherd

She was a lovely dog. She didn't have the intensity that their BCs did, but she certainly had some herding instinct and cleaned up the varmints. Softer than I like in a dog, though.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Top Dog

I think to think of ES as more of "old fashioned farm collies".

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
My in-laws just lost their English Shepherd

She was a lovely dog.
Sorry to hear this
Old 09-05-2012, 06:35 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Chloe, IMO, fits the bill pretty well for an English Shepherd. And I really, really enjoy her when she is in her element. If I could have a dog like her that wasn't sound gun shy and didn't have her aggression issues, I'd love it. And I typically don't like normal "herding dog" traits.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~