Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I almost never walk my dogs. 0_o
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Samsies.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 09-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

I think it's also important to be a little forgiving with people too.
Bingo.

I actually walk my dogs often (but not daily). Just never around the block and not usually on a leash.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I do believe than any rescue OR breeder should take responsibility to make sure that the people they sell or adopt to are reasonably well educated. However, that's just not going to happen in all cases.
Because if they do, people will go on forums and Facebook yelling about how the rescue/breeder turned them down and it would be better for the dog to be in their home than dead and if the rescue let them have this dog they could go save another one and and and....

Maybe I'm more tolerant than some (and every person who knows me in real life is snorting at that statement). Maybe it is because I live in a relatively dog savvy, outdoor oriented area. But really...I don't see much that bothers me with other people and their dogs. Some people probably think my dogs live bad lives. I had someone sort of off-handed, in a way that you could tell they were trying to bring up something that was bothering them, mention a few years ago that they never saw Meg get walked. Well...no. Because she was spending all my working hours outdoors on a farm with me, and came home and crashed. I think of things like that when I consider judging someone and how they choose to live with their dog.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
There should be a strict screening process and handling courses akin to that for nuclear weaponry for any potential dog owner.
Except dogs are not nuclear weapons, and the truth is, *most* dogs make perfectly find family dogs with minimal or even no training. I know, because when you have a few dogs that you work your butt off trying to teach them not to eat people or other pets it does tend to get to you that the neighbor up the road who’s dog has never stepped foot in a training building turned out just great.
Dogs have evolved forever along side of man to be companions, and they really are pretty idiot proof most of the time.

Quote:
"You can't feed a dog chocolate?? Really?!"
Some dogs do fine eating small amounts of chocolate for life. Dark chocolate is really bad, but milk chocolate? Chocolate ice cream? Pfft... Lunar just licked the leftovers of a bowl of icecream with chocolate syrup.

Quote:
"You need to walk it HOW many times a DAY?!"
Leash walks rarely happen for our old men, actually never for Biko. Last time he had a leash on was his well-dog vet visit a year ago.

Quote:
"No I don't wanna do obedience training with her, she's only 4 lbs."
Obedience training or manners training? Honestly, leave it and wait at threshholds are probably more important cues than sit or down and neither are used in obedience competitions.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 09-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Blackout

It might be the end of summer/back to school, a change in karma, the moon a certain degree in Aquarius - but whatever it is - in the past week or so we have been encountering more and more out of control dogs, off leash disasters, and just straight out idiots in general who have absolutely no business owning a dog. Prior to getting Katalin the amount of research and time I spent on doing homework was massive - and I see other people that get puppies "just because their cute" or whatever; I'm sorry - but I have a very low tolerance for that. Seriously.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
When it comes to a strange dog affecting you with unwanted behaviour that I understand, but griping about other people not being as into dogs as we are or doing all the training we do? Meh.
This. Unless it's affecting me, it's none of my business. I used to have a stick up my ass about other peoples' dogs. Funny thing is that getting into performance sports promptly removed it, thank god. I guess I just found better things to worry about, LOL. I was seriously such a PITA.

I work the general public and their dogs all the time. Those who don't want to train won't, and they will come up with any excuse. There may be a small segment who truly believe that training = harsh methods and that their rescue dog will just wilt under such handling, and so can't be trained. I've met a few who were like, "Whoa whoa whoa, are you telling me we can housebreak him without rubbing his nose in it?!?! ...Go on, tell me more of these dark arts." LOL. But mostly, the dogs that go untrained (and unmanaged) do so because their owners don't want to train them. The rescue/small/this breed stuff is an excuse. Now lots of people have rescues so they have lots of excuses.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Top Dog

Amazingly enough, some people just don't care that much about dogs. *gasp* LOL.

When talking about my own dogs, I have heard "but it's only a DOG" countless times.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 09-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
.... Same. LOL It's boring and it takes too much out of me and not enough out of them! If I "walk" it's to get to a park where I can do OB work and play fetch.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
It's boring and it takes too much out of me and not enough out of them!
I swear a leash walk just gets Gusto pumped up for more.