Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-01-2012, 12:37 PM
The Littlest Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Shamoo gets away with murder. She's 14 and sometimes I think I'll train her but usually I say, meh.
Replace "Shamoo" with "Daisy"(except she's 12...); all other dogs in our house are held to high standards. Lol

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:46 PM
LABRADERP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
Replace "Shamoo" with "Daisy"(except she's 12...); all other dogs in our house are held to high standards. Lol
Replace Daisy with the name Beau and age 10 and pretty much the same here, cranky old hound dogs get whatever they want whenever they want.

Takoda is held to higher standards due her not issues, but quirks. But she's a cur, so her being guardy and protective is in the breed standard.

And Bear the Rottie, well he's a 120lb dog that could kill someone if he really wanted to, so his butt better behave!!
Old 09-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Top Dog

It is a known fact that old dogs, especially old lady dogs develop a sense of entitlement that all...except for fools will cater to. If you aren't flexible enough to handle it, there is no wrath like that of a wise, elderly lady who's been around the block a few times. Just ask Chulita.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Top Dog

Okay...I'll get serious. I agree that if people think that the only way to "discipline" a dog is to be harsh, then I can see why rescue dogs that may have had a rotten life are not worked with. If only people realized it does dogs good to teach (discipline...discipline means teach) dogs by using PR methods, humane and fun ways to teach them, maybe they wouldn't be left to flail about insecurely. And that goes for any dogs, rescue or not. I see a lot of extremes both ways...either they're too rigid and harsh, which results in no communication to the dog....or they don't do anything.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Top Dog

Well it's like with my parents. I told them, begged them, do not hit Tucker, please! And for the most part they have followed my wishes. But this also means they are completely incapable of teaching him any manners or working on him with any problem behaviors. In their mind hitting is the only way you can get rid of bad behaviors. What they see me doing to train him they consider complicated and too hard for them to do (not that they've ever listened to me try to explain what I'm doing).

I certainly agree all dogs, regardless of their background, need to be taught to live safely and harmoniously in our society, I just think I get why it's not always being done.

I also agree though, that you don't always know what people have been doing with their dog. If you walked by me and Tucker and he flipped out when he saw your dog you might think I'm "letting" him, that I have not been working with him on it. You'd be wrong. I am also known to say that some of his issues are genetic. I am not saying this to excuse the behavior, but so that people have an understanding of why he behaves the way he does. People who say their dogs problems are caused by their background may not be lying, and they may actually be working with those dogs to help make them better, but just want you to know WHY the dog is not "normal", especially in a world where certain behaviors (like my dog's aggression) are seen as the result of abuse (even though they are often not) or failed puppy raising, people want to make it clear it wasn't them who caused it, because no one wants to be seen as an animal abuser or cruddy dog owner.

But people who simply think training is cruel, even positive methods, are silly. It strikes me as a PETA mentality, they think "making" their dog work is wrong, requiring them to follow certain rules is wrong, slavery. Which wouldn't be a problem if their dog only ever saw or interacted with them, but that's not generally the case.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 09-01-2012, 03:07 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I can't say I've seen that any more than I've seen purchased dogs getting away with bad behavior. Nor have I really seen more small dogs being terrors than big dogs.
Agreed. I think most people just don't train their dogs.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

I think its really easy to get all judgmental about other people’s dogs, but the bottom line is, everyone trains for (or don’t train for) what matters to them.

Mine bark at approaching vehicles and it doesn’t bother me in the least - in fact I prefer it. When you live out in the boonies, a barking dog is not a nuisance, its a necessity. If I lived in an apartment a) I wouldn’t have 4 big dogs, and b) I would take the time to train them not to bark.

Where in our situation off leash reliability is a non negotiable, in other cases it’s not. Where in some homes DA is a no-go, in other homes its an “oh well”.

What constitutes a “well trained” dog is SO subjective, its really not for me or anyone else to say what is and what is not okay with others’ dogs.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 09-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Glutton for Crazy

When a dog is becoming a public nuisance it's not a private and subjective matter of trained or not. I think this was initially geared towards dogs being allowed to harass others due to size and or origin.

The fact my dogs jump on my couches is whatever, if they ran out of my house and into my neighbors to jump on their couches I doubt it would be a private matter anymore.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
When a dog is becoming a public nuisance it's not a private and subjective matter of trained or not. I think this was initially geared towards dogs being allowed to harass others due to size and or origin.

The fact my dogs jump on my couches is whatever, if they ran out of my house and into my neighbors to jump on their couches I doubt it would be a private matter anymore.
Oh I see. I was thinking in terms of going to someone’s house and making judgement calls based on how the dogs behave in their own home.

I guess I tend to see nuisance dogs as a management issue not necessarily a training issue.
The most beautifully trained dog isn’t necessarily going to stay in the yard while you’re gone all day unless you put a fence up, or put the dog inside.
The dog who bites the groomer or tech can wear a muzzle.
The dog who leash lunges can wear better equipment and owners can walk in less crowded areas.

Its not that people don’t train their dogs so much as people don’t think beyond their own nose. I really don’t think it occurs to many people that the way their dog is behaving in public might affect someone else.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 09-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I completely agree with that.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.