Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Shamoo gets away with murder. She's 14 and sometimes I think I'll train her but usually I say, meh. Arnold, my other rescue, is held to very serious standards.

Some of it is people just being lazy and using the guilt as an excuse, IMO.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Top Dog

I see this all the time at the daycare, and unfortunatly, the boss buys into it. What, that boxer just attacked Gambit and put punctures in him? You know that he's a resscueee and the owners don't know what to do with him. That dog enjoy doing 'puppy nips' on staff at 8 months old? He's a reeescueee and doesn't know any better! (BTW, the puppy was rescued at 8 weeks old. I would be more sympathatic if it had been rescued two weeks ago and the owners were actively workign with it).

That said, both of my boys are rescues, and, yes, they come with issues. Argon's are workable, Gambits are less so. Gambit with never be friendly with strangers, unless I figure out a way to do a personality transplant on him, or possibly laser out the coyote like it's a tumor or something. That doesn't mean that I let him be obnoxious in public, though.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Top Dog

I don't see it as rescue vs. purchased. I see it as a difference in owners. I see very few people with dogs from both sources who have drastically different training philosophies for the two dogs.

The people I know who have dogs that get away with murder would do it regardless of where they got the dog from.

I also think you have to acknowledge that it is sometimes harder to train a rescue. I have put 4 years worth of relaxation protocol, crate games, and general training into Lucy, and she still won't lay calmly in a crate without spazzing. Then people bring home a brand new puppy, can put it in a crate from day one, and glare at me when my dog won't lay quietly. There are definitely limitations to all dogs.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Top Dog

I can't say I've seen that any more than I've seen purchased dogs getting away with bad behavior. Nor have I really seen more small dogs being terrors than big dogs. In our area, the worst offenders are the labs. Few of whom were rescued.

I'd put Meg (pulled from 'death row') against any purebred, purchased dog as far as behavior.

Gusto (rescued from being killed at a few weeks old/abandoned in a trailer/rescued for good at 6-ish weeks old), maybe less so, but it is hard being a spider monkey And I have very different wants and expectations from him than most people have for their dogs.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Top Dog

I agree all dogs are individuals and often that comes into play. Also some people just don't care that much about teaching their dogs to have manners. My dogs tend to be a bit on the unmannerly side, especially Savvy because I find wild dogs to be amusing. That said, Rou (the rescue LOL) is being held to a higher standard than most of my dogs but he's still allowed to be plenty wild.

Where I worked people could bring fosters to our drop in puppy and basic training classes for free...and almost none did, which I thought was too bad. I had one foster come in with a lady who freaked out on me when I suggested she put the puppy on the floor for a little of the class so the pup could interact with the environment and see if she could get her interested in treats. The pup was a little nervous but not abnormally so for a first night in class. The woman started yelling at me stuff like "I'm not dragging this puppy around! I refuse to do that to one of my dogs and nothing you say will make me think otherwise!". I tried to explain to her that was not the sort of training this was and asked if she had seen anyone else dragging puppies around that night and she was like "Well I'm not doing it" and left

She never did much with the puppy and ended up keeping her because she was "too fearful" to adopt out. IME a lot of foster homes for all-breed rescues are well meaning, love dogs but just don't have a clue about training or behavior at all. And in our area, it seemed they weren't interested in learning either. I'm sure that isn't the case every where but it was frustrating.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Obey the Toad.

I do think that different owners have different tolerance levels in general. I don't know how people with with dogs that bark for hours don't go insane-I couldn't stand that. Then again, there are some people that insist that there dogs heel for an entire walk and I really don't care about that.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm All Ears

I don't know. I don't see this at all. I DO however see people that have gotten rescue dogs that are older and already very set into a pattern of behavior that the owner doesn't know how to handle it. I honestly just think a lot of people are in over their head. Especially things like reactivity.

There's also the fact that the person may have gotten the rescue dog recently and is still finding out the behavior. I know when we found Ada on the side of the road, taking her to the vet was awful because she was not ever socialized or taught to behave. So I have this yorkie mix that is lunging on the end of the leash, barking up a storm, being wild in general... I'm sure people assumed things.

Since then I've tried to not assume as much. You never know the back story on the dog or what the owner has/hasn't tried with that dog.

I find people tend to try to make small talk when they're embarrassed by their dog's behavior. I don't see it as an excuse more of an 'I'm sorry but I don't know what to say' in a lot of cases.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Top Dog

I do notice people are extremely quick to attach "must've been abused!" to any sort of bad behavior. I have people, even dog people constantly asking if the Stick Dog is anti-social at such a young age because he was abused or telling me "someone must've done something awful to him for him to be this way".
Old 09-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm All Ears

Yep, but I get that with Mia too just because she's not a dog that enjoys being petted by strangers.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Top Dog

I see it more with horses but maybe its just so much more noticeable when a giant animal that can easily kill you is disrespectful. I had to explain this to a lady at an old boarding barn and she just didn't get it. I guess she carried her saddle back on rides so her horse knew she knew his pain Other people will never even pick up a lunge whip because the horse has been abused. Sorry- start them over and get over it. Your the one giving them issues now. You project yourself onto these animals.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber