Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-31-2012, 10:27 PM
orange iguanas.

Because a little dog behaving like a jerk is not as dangerous as a large dog. It's easier to shrug off their bad behavior. You're in deep doo-doo though if you have a german shepherd snarling at people.
The small dogs at work are always the worst... we are constantly muzzling chihuahuas and min pins and whatnot, but the large muzzles don't get taken out as often.

Even with my own dogs, some of the things Lucy does that I just say "whatever" about, I would NEVER allow from Juno.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Blackout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I didn't read the OP as "all little dogs are asshats" but why is it common for little dog owners to be more tolerant of inappropriate behavior than big dog owners.

In my experience it's because a bigger dog acting like a jerk is scary, smaller dogs it's more often just annoying or in a lot of my clients and or people I run agility around it's something to shrug off or even giggle at.
Exactly - Thanks Adrianne =)

I personally think that intolerant behavior is intolerant behavior - regardless of size and it should be nipped in the bud right there and then. I would just as readily correct a teacup pomeranian acting up as I would a 100 + lb dog. There's nothing funny about aggression, hyper-reactivity, unprovoked DA, biting or anything along those lines in ANY size canine.

Jacksonsmom,

I concur - but unfortunately most small dogs I come across here are really spoiled, nasty, bad examples of what they should be. I've only met two civilized male yorkies - both owners knew what they were doing and both were fabulous little dogs =)

Laurelin,

It's the opposite here! Most of the larger dogs I've seen around here have been pretty much under control or the owners were at least abit more vigilant - of course there are exceptions to this. I would say around 85% of small/teacup sized dogs in my area are really out of control in some ways - the owners treat them like little teddy bears and the concept of discipline or training doesn't even cross their mind.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-31-2012, 10:40 PM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

I think its just because they are small, so obviously aren't going to be a bother to anyone, and everyone should just think they're cute.

I was out running the other day and this furry black muppet dog started to chase me, so I had to go back to the house I saw it come out of and wait for its owner to come out. She let out her bully breed of some kind, lost control of it, couldn't get the muppet to come to her, and her bully was off roaming the neighbours yard. It interrupted my run, very irritating :P
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:43 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Around here most the asshat dogs are bigger than mine. Well... most dogs are bigger anyways. But I run into a lot of dogs that are medium/larger and not behaved than smaller. I don't run into too many toy dogs around but most seem pretty well behaved.
Perspective

Around here, ALL the PITA dogs are smaller than mine

But even Tallulah's been jumped by small dogs a few times -- usually a yorkie-sort or a mini Schnauzer. Bear used to get bumrushed by a pair of at-large Pekes.

Kharma gets it from a pair of Collies in an e-fence, and then there was the neighbor's white GSD, who has decided it's better to rant and rave at her from a distance, lol.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, it seems to be the smaller dogs around here. A lot of people around here doesn't feel the leash law applies to them because they are small dogs.

Dixie Loo - 2009 Schnauzer Mix
Rudy Roo - 2008 Airedale Terrier Mix
Buster - Forever loved and missed. 1-10-04 - 12-1-14
Old 09-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Very Food Agressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoundgirl View Post
Yeah, it seems to be the smaller dogs around here. A lot of people around here doesn't feel the leash law applies to them because they are small dogs.
That's terrifying! I'm super vigilant about having Tango on leash because he'd be **** near impossible to see at night from a car. Tiny dog = easier road kill.

That said, it seems like people are more willing to excuse small dog behavior. Tango has been having issues at work and people are just sort of like "Oh it's ok, he's small" And I'm freaking out thinking I'm going to get fired while they laugh at him growling and lunging. I don't get it. They would be telling me to put my dog down or lock it up if I brought Izzy or a bigger dog in with the same behavior.

For me, it seems like some smaller dogs just end up with poor temperments due to poor breeding (Thanks a lot puppy mills! :rollseyes or a lack of early socialization. I like to think Tango would be a better adjusted dog if I had him as a puppy instead of the PoS that nearly killed him. Then again, I'm fairly certain he's not from a reputable breeder either so that is another stumbling block.

Due to all of these reasons, I try to be super vigilant and keep him on a harness that I can use to pick him up and keep him from screaming at another dog or human for whatever reason. Not only does that keep him from barking (He doesn't like to bark when I have him suspended in air) but it also keeps him safe in the event that another dog decides he's lunch.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:58 AM
and Fozzie B!

For the same reason that it's cute when puppies bite, bark, jump and act obnoxious... but it's not ok once that puppy grows up!

I would say at least 50% of small dogs around here are on flexis, and are reactive, and their owners NEVER utilize the "stop" button. They just give their dogs the freedom to run up to and bark at anything in sight. I understand that aggressive small dogs are much less dangerous. But they are still dangerous... and their aggressive displays and confrontations put their own lives in danger! My neighbor has this adorable Norwich Terrier who is a straight up bitch. She runs out of the front door all the time while I'm walking my dogs, and jumps up on them, snarling and snapping. My dogs find it hilarious. Once when they were walking by our driveway, I was putting Fozzie in the car and he walked over to say hi. I allowed him to give them a taste of their own medicine. Her owner picked her up and yelled "THAT dog could kill her with one bite!!!" Umm ok? You KNOW Fozzie wouldn't touch that little brat, and if you were so concerned about her well being, you'd train her and keep her contained!

My boss is even guilty of this stupidity. Her granddaughter has a Chihuahua who is straight up vicious. Like, that dog will chase you, biting your feet, and will snarl and bite your hand if you try to touch her. She'll also go after other dogs. I wouldn't TOUCH the thing! They make stupid excuses for her and let her run around the shop off leash... meanwhile, my boss bitches about every single dog over 20 lbs who comes in and isn't perfectly behaved. She calls them assholes and rants about how lazy and dumb their owners are for not training them, and talks about how she doesn't trust Pit Bulls constantly. Meanwhile her granddaughter has a straight up vicious little dog who has bitten anyone who tries to touch her!?

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 09-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Small dog owners tend to not feel the need to manage the problem, because they can just walk away with the dog.

I know that will upset most small dog owners on here, but by virtue of you even BEING here, it does not include you
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 09-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

A few weeks back, my husband and I were in a park with Ma'ii and Charlotte, just hanging out next to this pond with a friend. The pond has a bunch of flocks of various ducks and geese that had been donated by the city. I had run across the street to get a coffee, and as I was returning, I saw a small Dachshund barrel into the road after a goose, narrowly getting the goose hit by a car. I look up and notice a group of about 5 girls, probably in their early 20's, walking 7 small dogs of various breeds, mostly Chihuahuas and Dachshunds. None are on a leash, and they are racing all over the place. The girls have no reaction or care. Suddenly, their dogs see our two and come racing over to them, snapping and snarling and instantly Charlotte and Ma'ii are on their feet, roaring back at these little monsters that are up in their face. I will always do what I can to prevent Charlotte from hurting another dog, but it's times like this where I seriously can't blame her. The girls do NOTHING, and eventually the dogs take off after them.

A few minutes later, they start coming back, and as they do, our friend says half jokingly that those dogs look like lunch to Ma'ii and Charlotte, and I say in my passive-aggressive way "If they get close enough they WILL be". At this point, one of the girls turn around, and in this snarky, bitchy tone replies "If your dogs eat one of ours, how about WE eat YOU! Huh!? How would you like that!?" My husband starts laughing hard. I shout back "PUT YOUR DOGS ON A LEASH!!" They shout a bunch of threats at us, as they're walking away, and I reply "No wonder you can't control your dogs, you can't even control yourself!"

They never said anything back, and just kept walking. But as we watched them walk around the lake, we noticed their dogs run WAY ahead of them and harass other people and dogs while the girls just casually walked along.

I've experienced BS from dogs of all sizes, but I notice this a LOT more with small dogs. People definitely have a mentality that just because their dogs are small, they can get away with crap. If you call them on it, and happen to have a larger dog with you, they turn it around and make it sound like it's your dog's fault. That doesn't fly with me.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 09-04-2012, 03:54 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I've only ever been harassed, attacked and bugged by large dogs. Small dog owners here seem to be more vigilant because of the sucky attitude larger dog owners have towards our "not real dogs"

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/