Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-31-2012, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

My dogs love the vet... but that's because I work there.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 08-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Top Dog

Jack is usually fine as long as the vet and technicians take time to say hi to him and feed him treats. He doesn't get nervous or stressed being in that environment, its just his normal "no touching" thing he has to get over, like with all new people. We're going to a new vet in a couple of weeks so we'll see how that goes. *fingers crossed*

Missy is nervous, but she gets better once treats come out - she'll do anything if there's food. I wouldn't say she "likes" it, but she tolerates it.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Top Dog

LoLa and Judge LOVE the vet. Absolutely adore them. They both go back and forget I was even there.

Hobie has to be sedated.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Top Dog

Oh GOD NO. He HATES it and knows right away where we are. He tries to run back in the car. Then inside he leans in as close as possible to me and as far away from them as he can.

He's not necessarily ill behaved - he doesn't bite, snap, growl, or anything. He's just pure scared.

Brit & Jackson

Old 08-31-2012, 07:05 PM
orange iguanas.

My dog doesn't like people. Lol so any issues she has with the vet office stem from the fact that it involves being around strangers. She behaves at the vet the same way she would behave at Petco. She doesn't care about being poked and prodded and handled, that's the easy part. She's cooperative and sits still and really requires no restraint.

It used to be okay because she'd chill out in the exam room and the doc would go slow, so this strange person wasn't being thrusted upon her. However now that I bring her to work, we don't really get the luxury of being in a room where we can take our time; and my coworkers tend to want to swarm her all at once (but then they give her baby food to make nice). So she's not very fond of all that.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 PM
Top Dog

Buzz doesn't love it but he'll take food from anyone there. Bailey knows exactly what it means if I stop her from going into the back and then just gets really, really sad.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 08-31-2012, 07:55 PM
Top Dog

Meg doesn't like it exactly, but she's good and relatively comfortable there. They can't take her out of the exam room though; she panics completely. When I switched vets a while ago, that was the first thing I asked - if they were fine with doing everything in the room with me. And they have been.

Gusto...I am already stressed about taking him in next time. He was very worried, and the tech who tried to draw blood for his heartworm test missed the vein the first time, and he started screaming so much that they finally gave up and said they would just test it when he was under for his neuter. Unfortunately, I'm not planning to get him neutered again this spring, so I'm not sure what we will do! I plan to make it very clear that the person who tries to get blood from him needs to be the person with the best shot of getting a vein the first time.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Mutts to you

Mick hates the car ride, not the vet. Both he and Murph are polite while there - friendly but not over the top in their behavior. Their biggest bugaboo is getting on the scale (can't blame them, I don't like it either. ) My vet's practice is in a house, so the exam rooms are fairly large and I stay with the dogs at all times. (My mom's vet has a tech take the animals back to an exam room while the owner waits in the lobby. I don't particularly like that.)

Riley is fine with the vet although he won't accept the treats - he knows I usually have better stuff than a biscuit. He does like playing with the vet's Papillon whenever she's there and the vet is okay with them playing in the bigger exam room if he's not too busy or we're the last appointment of the day.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Blackout

Katalin's ok. Pretty chill throughout the whole process. Car ride there isn't much enjoyed though.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-31-2012, 09:13 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Morgan isn't thrilled about the vet's office, but he LOVES his doctors. There are two in particular that he would just go home with if they offered. Sitting in the waiting area, though... he is very sad.