Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-31-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Does your dog like the vet's office?

I just got back from Mia's appointment for her rabies shot and boy... she does NOT like the vet's at all. She behaved but tail down, shaking, not wanting any attention from anyone, not taking cookies from the vet. She peed when she got the shot too.

Summer is the total opposite. According to her the vet is SO FUN! Everyone loves her and she hams it up for them. She never notices if she gets a shot, she's too happy the vet held her and petted her. She begs for food and just acts silly.

I think it's interesting how some dogs hate the vet and others love it.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Bite me.

My dogs like it, because I work there. So they are there for other things, sometimes just to keep me company on graveyard shifts.

Most dogs HATE the vet. Strange people, strange smells. That said, most well-socialized dog do not have issues. However, if they only go there to be poked for injections, it is not a happy place.

We had a woman once, years ago, who's two rottie mixes were horrible. Super afraid. We advised her to bring them by once a week to weigh them. We gave them a treat. She stood around and talked with us, and after a couple months the dogs relaxed. We could then do injections, treatments, whatever and they were not so afraid, the vet's office had become just another place to them.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Top Dog

Ripley is so annoying at the vet's office. He doesn't have anything against them, but he just will not shut up in the waiting area. Whining, moaning, and groaning because other dogs are there. I don't know if he's frustrated that he can't visit with them or what. He acts the same in pet stores too. Once we get into the exam room he's quiet though and thinks the vet should just stand there and pet him the whole time. He doesn't care what she does to him.

Keira's relaxed pretty much wherever we go. She's such a good dog to take almost anywhere. She's indifferent and really doesn't care about the clinic, the vet, the dogs, the people, or anything else.

Dance is fine at the vet as well. Just sits by me or lays under a chair while we wait. And she is totally in love with our new vet. I swear she'd go home with her, and she was super cuddly with her when she was getting her bloodwork done earlier this month.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 08-31-2012, 01:03 PM
& the Muttly Crew

All three of mine adore the vet/vet office/techs/secretary/everything to do with the vet. Usually they'll be tense during the shot (though quiet and cooperative) then go immediately back to being overjoyed about the whole event.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 08-31-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm All Ears

I think Mia's fear of the vet is getting worse as she gets older. Maybe I'll work on taking her some and not get an appointment.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

My two love their vet and the folks that work there. Dr Miller adores Menchi and she always tells me how beautiful Watson is.

Usually if one of them has an appointment the other gets to go to visit

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 08-31-2012, 01:11 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I think Mia's fear of the vet is getting worse as she gets older. Maybe I'll work on taking her some and not get an appointment.
I think it helps when your dog is a social foodhound. Our old vet used to give the dogs a small babyfood jar of yummy stinky stuff during the exam...the dogs would lick out the jar while the vet was working. Resulted in Kim and Web especially declaring their undying devotion to the man lol. Mira liked it too but she's not quite as OMGLOVELOVE to strangers as K and W...she just smiles and wags tail wildly. Kim and Webster will fawn dramatically if they feel it's warranted lol.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 08-31-2012, 01:15 PM
such sights to show you

Yes, but it is a different experience for them than normal people's dogs.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Roseys fine til we get to the exam room, then she just wants out of the room. Then again, she doesn't like being confined.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

Pretty much. Chulita thinks there's going to be a party thrown for her. She's very, very sociable. Jose` has a teensy weensy timid streak. So, he's fine, but a little held back compared to Chulita. But he is perfectly glad to meet people and check things out. All my dogs have always been pretty comfortable at the vet's.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson