Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-28-2005, 08:57 AM
Active Pup

Question please help!! Dog crying and barking

My dog is about 14 years old. For the past few months he has been crying and barking when I leave him. I have had him forever, since he was born and I know that as he has gotten older, he has developed a seperation anxiety when I leave him. We live with my mom and he doesn't cry when anyone else leaves him, just when I leave him. It has gotten to the point now, the other night I proceeded to leave him, and he cried/barked for nearly an hour. I couldnt let him cry, so I went back into the house and stayed with him until somebody got home. I can leave him when my mother gets home, but I cant leave him when he will be alone.

We have been giving him rescue remedy now and also some Chinese Herbal pills that are suppose to help with the anxiety, but nothing seems to work. I love this little dog more than anything, but it seems that nothing is helping him.

Can anyone recommend anything else we can try? My mother and I talked about possibilities of putting him down...I don't know...He also may have diabeties..but I just love him soo much and I am so sad and upset. My co-worker recommened the machine that emitts that loud noise when the dog starts to bark..I guess it makes them stop when they hear it. I dont know if that will work though....Any ideas of what we can give him to stop crying and barking when I leave him?

Thanks in Advance
Old 12-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Top Dog

You don't have to post in two different places I replied to the other one.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Top Dog

Oh, ilovejesse... I am so sorry! It sounds like he hasn't always done this? It might be some kind of dementia and he's confused. Poor little guy. I would NOT do that "sound machine" thing... that is to hurt their ears in response to barking... and I think it's cruel. I feel for you. Think of it like caring for a parent with Alzheimers. You need to do what's best for you... and what's best for HIM. Sounds like he's had a very loving life with you. Please keep us posted on what's happening... ((HUGS))
Old 12-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Active Pup

He has started doing this the past few months...it has gotten worse..used to just be on the weekends, but now it is during the week. I love him more than anything, but just dont know what to do anymore. I feel so bad for him. I dont want to give him away, he is so old now that he would be just as upset somewhere else as he is when I leave him. My mother and I have called the vet, and they really dont understand why he only does it with me. Its so tough..I know if we were to do this, he wouldnt be in pain, like he is now when I leave him. I dont want to give him Valium..b/c he is so small (weighs 10 pounds) that a drug like this would't make him himself and he wouldnt be happy...i just dont know what to do... :-(
Old 12-28-2005, 09:30 AM
Top Dog

Why would you say you would even consider giving him away?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Active Pup

someone suggested giving him to somebody that is home all the time, so he wouldnt be alone...I couldnt do that. He would be more confussed and even more sad. This kills me..He loves me so much, and I love him. I just cant do anything more..he cries and barks when I leave him and its starting to effect me. Is putting him to sleep something to consider? My mother made an appointment for it for tomorrow, but I just dont know. I hate to have him suffer and be so upset as he is now when I leave...
Old 12-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Top Dog

As I said on the other forum, I would take him to the vet to make sure he doesn't have some problem that makes him uncomfortable. And please, don't give him away, at his age it's a death sentence...
Old 12-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Active Pup

we took him to the vet, and it appeared as if everything was fine with him. They said it sounds like seperation anxiety and also he drinks alot of water and pees alot, they said that could be diabeties...he has had arthritis also for some time...doesnt seem like its getting worse
Old 12-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Top Dog

Drinking a lot and peeing a lot is a sure sign of diabetes. Your vet should have been able to tell you from checking his blood sugar, though. He's just not feeling well. And at his age, it may be "time". I'm so sorry for the decision you need to make. But this could be the most loving decision you've ever made for your baby
Old 12-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Active Pup

my mother and I love him so much. The vet suggested doing tests to see if they could find anything. My mom and I dont have the extra money to do these tests for him and it kills us. Then we think that if they did find something with him being that old, would we want to put him through more pain to make him better? This is the hardest thing that I have ever had to do/make....