Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Dafuq?

I'm confused. Why would a fat dog need donations to get healthy? How much does it take to buy a leash?

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 09-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Obey the Toad.

I'm not entirely sure the dog can even walk....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Honestly, if I had taken this dog on and I had already developed a plan for how I was going to get him to lose weight, I probably wouldn't listen to any "advice" either. No matter how well intentioned it was... and honestly most of it is more about being critical and right IMO than giving well-intentioned advice... any diet is going to need a chance to work, and I would give what I had decided to do time to work rather than jump around from one thing to the next based on FB comments from god-knows-who.

I mean, just look at this thread here where most of what people have to say is grousing about how she's feeding the dog from ONE picture of ONE bowl of carrots, and imagine that negative crap on your progress page. I wouldn't want that on my FB page, either, honestly.

If you don't like it, don't look at it. If you think the money stuff is hinky, then don't donate. If you think she doesn't know jack about nutrition, then feed the 77 pound doxie you take in however you like. But jebus, it has nothing to do with any of us.

For some reason this thread here is really getting under my skin out of all proportion to its actual importance in my life. It just really bothers me how something that should clearly be something everyone can get behind - taking in an obese rescue and trying to get him to lose weight - just turns into another steaming pile of OMG UR DOING IT WROOOONGGGGG!!!11!!
Yup^^^ most people just want to be right as opposed to giving sound, concerned advice. Carrots is a helluva lot better then other things and there was only one picture of carrots posted.... Raw feeders aren't the only dog owners out there... and it isn't the only efficient way of feeding. I hope that this dog can recover
Old 09-02-2012, 05:37 PM
The Littlest Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
I'm confused. Why would a fat dog need donations to get healthy? How much does it take to buy a leash?
Exactly! After the initial vet visit & labwork were paid for, what else does she need donations for? Clearly she will be buying less dog food hehe. Send some $$ this way for my emaciated dog's way too expensive food instead... Hehe.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 09-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Show Dog

I would be concerned about the donation aspect too...
Old 09-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Top Dog

I don't see anything wrong with being worried about and critiquing the way someone else cares for a dog if you feel it could be done different/better. Once again, if she didn't want those comments, she shouldn't have made a Facebook!

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 09-02-2012, 11:56 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
I don't get this either. A vet visit and labwork is really not that expensive. What else is there to pay for since he is apparently healthy aside from being disgustingly fat?

Otherwise. That is the most roly poly fat dog I have ever seen.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
I don't see anything wrong with being worried about and critiquing the way someone else cares for a dog if you feel it could be done different/better. Once again, if she didn't want those comments, she shouldn't have made a Facebook!
I'm pretty sure that every single person on here could care for their dogs in a different/better way....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I'm pretty sure that every single person on here could care for their dogs in a different/better way....
Definitely. I don't disagree with that. So what's wrong with constructive criticism or suggestions?

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 09-03-2012, 01:29 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
I am not too worried about how she is feeding the dog. If it is losing weight then thats fine and I hope it continues to.

My issue is that all it takes is one thing like this to have it come out that all the donations aren't going to that dog to turn people off from donating. It may not be a rescue or a shelter so the rational thing would be to realize they aren't connected. But as we know people aren't rational and I'd rather not have people not wanting to donate to legitimate causes because they got burned when they thought they were helping.

Me pointing out their failure in posting costs and donations isn't me saying 'omgz they doing it wrong!!' it's pointing out that what they are doing is kind of shady and people don't really know where their money is going.
This. ^^ The giant donation button thingy at the top of their page made my spidey-senses tingle, and not in a good way. I kind of wondered if they'd only gotten $10 so far and really needed money to help, or if they're secretly rolling in $10,000 in donations. Who knows? They're not sharing.

Also, I don't really care how someone wants to moderate their facebook page. It's their page. But I also don't see why we can't discuss stuff like this on Chaz. There's been a ton of helpful information on good alternatives to carrots for helping dogs feel full. People lurk, and if one person come away from this thread with better tools for helping their dogs get to a healthy weight then that's cool.