Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Obey the Toad.

Thumbs down In ICU with Dad...

While I was at work yesterday, my dad called me at lunch and told me he needed me to come take him to the hospital immediately. He had been going through severe abdominal pain on and off for three weeks apparently (I didn't know this), and had been having issues controlling his bladder. He had lost a ton of weight and was so weak I had to wheel him into the ER in a chair.

They discovered his potassium was dangerously low and his blood sugar was 306. When they did a c/t scan they discovered that his bladder was EXTREMELY enlarged, but he didn't feel like he needed to pee. They catheterized him and got a liter of urine out almost immediately. Apparently his urine was backing up into his kidneys due to an obstruction and that was the cause of the pain.

They admitted him and sent him to the ICU to stabilize his potassium levels and make sure his heart was not damaged, as he had two abnormal EKGs. They also discovered he had diabetes. The urologist thinks the issue is a very enlarged prostate so they are going to put him on meds and see how that works. If it doesn't they are likely going to do surgery.

My aunt says that he has ruined his mattress and that the house is filthy. He is out of work right now so it seems that I will be buying him a new mattress, but I am trying to find a delicate way to bring it up. My aunt wants to come up and stay (she lives 3 hours away), but can't stay at his house without a new matress and claims that the house needs to be cleaned by a service. I know I certainly don't have time to clean it between going to work and coming up to the hospital, taking care of dads bills, etc. My aunt can't stay at my house because she is literally allergic to every animal I own, and even if she weren't she goes nowhere without her Maltese who I really doubt Sally would tolerate.

Plus, dad has no health insurance, so that's awesome *sigh*. I was very certain not to sign ANYTHING because I CANNOT afford to be held responsible for this bill, which I'm sure will be massive.

As of right now dad's potassium is still too low and they are having some trouble getting it where it should be. His urine looks like red Kool-Aid, which is super creepy but the nurse assures me it is to be expected considering his circumstances. The worst thing now is that he is having severe bladder spasms, and he is in excruciating pain when they happen and there's nothing that can be done as they are already giving him powerful pain meds.

So I'm laying here now next to his bed in the hospital recliner in the dark while he sleeps. I was crying in bed last night and Jack, who normally sleeps at the foot of the bed scooted up and snuggled next to me. One thing I love about him is that he is a very sensitive dog and fusses over me if I cry.

So, if anyone has spare vibes or prayers for my dad, that would he awesome and very appreciated. And if you read all of this you get cherry hospital Jello with whipped cream on top.....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Oh gosh. =< I hope they can get his potassium levels under control and he can start feeling better. Just take it one thing at a time... no other way to go about it. ((((((HUGS)))))

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 PM
such sights to show you

I'm sorry. Sending good thoughts that he recovers quickly.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Ball Thrower

Hope your dad gets well soon. If he doesn't have any income he may qualify for health insurance through the state or federal government.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I am so sorry ((((((hugs)))))) for you, and lots of <<<<<<<vibes>>>>>>> for your dad.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

Sending tons of healing vibes to your dad!

Does your dad belong to a church or another group where there might be a group of ladies willing to pitch in to help get his house in order?

As far as not having health insurance check in at the business office at the hospital. I know our local hospitals have people to assist patients to get assistance with their medical bills.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Blackout

So sorry! Hope your dad gets through unscathed <3
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Felurian

Got 'em. Sounds rough -- on both of you.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 AM
swimming upstream

sending good thoughts out to you and your dad.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 AM
<--------Orson

Many many prayers for your dad and the whole family.

If there's anything I can do Sally, please don't hesitate to ask.