Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Default Bummed.

So today I got the "thanks but no" rejection letter from the place I interviewed a few weeks back... which I pretty much knew was coming but I just... had that little bit of hope still I couldn't let go of until I knew for sure. The guy was so nice during my interview and he was really nice in my rejection letter, saying he thought my stuff was excellent and he had no doubt I would find a job in the industry soon. But that doesn't feel very good when I've been applying for... two years now? and still can't get a job. I was thrilled to even get an interview, usually I don't even get those. =< I was one of eight people from about 30 applications he got that he called for the first round of interviews, so again, I suppose it should feel good, but it doesn't. Rejection is still rejection... even second place isn't winning.
He's keeping my stuff on file if they have any future openings which he said might be sooner than I might think, because they are expanding right now. So I guess that's always a positive.

I don't know. I haven't cried over getting a rejection letter in a long time and this one made me cry. I thought I was the right fit, he seemed to like me and my stuff, and I thought the timing was perfect. I thought this was it. but it's not. and I'm just devastated and tired of applying and applying and applying and I'm getting nowhere. I'm not even talking in my field, I'm talking anything and everything I've applied to.
I just don't even know. It feels like it's never going to happen. I'm going to be stuck with my soul being sucked out of me every day at the radio station for the rest of my life... in a few years my traffic manager will retire and they will offer me the job because I'm very good at what I do and I will be able to easily take her place, and I will work there until *I* retire, and I will be miserable every day for the rest of my working life, and I will never be paid very much for it either.
That is what I see when I look ahead of me. And it looks rotten.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Top Dog

Aww that sucks I'm sorry. If you keep trying I'm sure something will work out. You're getting positive feedback! And even if this line of work doesn't turn out... you're young, you could get into another field... you aren't doomed to stay at the job you hate. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 PM
orange iguanas.

I'm sorry I know how much it sucks, but just keep plugging away and something will come up for you.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Top Dog

Awww...that's too bad you didn't get it. But you're young aren't you? You have lots of time and possibilities ahead of you. Don't let yourself get pulled down in the dumps too far. It seems so hopeless now because you really wanted this. But chances are something every bit as good or maybe even better will turn up. That happens sometimes, you know...just when you think you've missed the best chance, something else happens that is even better. Maybe not right away but life is like a roller coaster...up and down. You just have to pull yourself back up by the boot straps after you have a good cry and keep on plugging away. I know how painful it is though, when you get turned down lots of times in a row. Hang in there. I hope things will turn around for you soon.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Behavior Nerd

If he seemed genuine in the letter and you liked him in the interview, perhaps contact him about some constructive feedback on what made them skip past you? If you've been applying for years and getting good feedback on your work, but not getting offers, then there may be something you should tweak about your resume/application/interview skills that could help and this guy might be the perfect resource!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:07 AM
<--------Orson

(((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

and I agree with Stardogs, what could it hurt?
Old 08-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
If he seemed genuine in the letter and you liked him in the interview, perhaps contact him about some constructive feedback on what made them skip past you? If you've been applying for years and getting good feedback on your work, but not getting offers, then there may be something you should tweak about your resume/application/interview skills that could help and this guy might be the perfect resource!
This. This is what I did at my last job and then the next time there was an opening they approached me about applying.

I am also job searching and getting a lot of refusals and it does suck.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Top Dog

I'm sorry I hope you find something soon.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Top Dog

Good idea stardogs!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

He actually did give me feedback but it's not much to go off. Just that somebody else had more experience in the kinds of print design they do (like catalogs.) My print design is mostly in smaller individual mass mailing materials like postcards, brochures, flyers, but nothing like a catalog.
Of course, the job I turned down earlier this year because it didn't pay enough and the benefits really sucked was in catalog design. So once again driving home the fact that I completely screwed myself over by turning down that job. If I had taken it I would have been in the hole for eight months but I could have gotten this job.

As for being young, ha. I'm 28 years old and there is no affording changing careers now.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog