Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Top Dog

Arrow Hurricane Isaac photo/video thread

I just thought, with so many people having never seen/experienced hurricanes first hand, I thought I'd start a thread for photos/videos. Anyone experiencing any weather issues from it can post pics and videos here.

My house @ approx. 2:15 pm:

The clouds are moving in and the wind is picking up.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Awesome . That about what ti looks like here. I am taking pics and posting on FB. I can't do Photobucket from phone to get them here. Be safe.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Felurian

What did you wind up doing with the horses?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

The green dot is Baton Rouge. I'm a touch east of there.

Renee, we bought fence boards and boarded the sides of the barn. I leave my horses out, but of course they can go in and out of their stalls as they wish. Their hay troughs are full of hay as well. I won't ever lock them in their stalls. I've learned that painful lesson. My vet and I were talking about that, and she said she's seen to be horses's bodies in crushed barns because trees fell on them. I'm very worried about Raja and Bullseye, but I've got to let them rely on their instincts (including flight) to get them through this. They've always had come and go access to their stalls, so that's not a big deal (they know their stalls are there.

Oh, and as I type this, we just got our first tornado watch warning.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Top Dog

Thank you for posting this. Those clouds look so ominous and eerie, but beautiful too...it looks so quiet. I guess that's before the storm, as they say.

I think you're wise to not lock the horses in their stalls. That can be a disaster. I tried it with mine during fireworks and quickly saw that wasn't safe. They started to rear...panic etc. If they were out, they'd run so hard and wildly, I thought they'd run through the fence...just out of their heads with fear. I just didn't know what to do. So, I finally got the vet to give me tranquilizers during the 4th. That was the ticket. Of course in your case, your horses have to have their wits about them so they can run if they hear a tree branch fall or something. I hope they will be okay. Maybe there will be a difference with the storm and something man made, like fireworks. Do you think they are less afraid with a storm? It's all very scary. I wish you all the best and that everyone will be all hunkered down safely. Maybe it won't get so bad where you are. Crossing my fingers for you.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-28-2012, 08:47 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Thank you for posting this. Those clouds look so ominous and eerie, but beautiful too...it looks so quiet. I guess that's before the storm, as they say.
Thats exactly how it is. Then you have the gorgeous part of the eye where its sunny and just windy then you have the nasty all over again.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

My great aunt and uncle live in Raceland. They are having power outages flickering. I am praying this storm doesn't destroy too many things. My thoughts are with everyone in its path.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:35 AM
Love my pets

Hope to hear back from you soon that all is okay.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Felurian

I don't know anything about horses, but that seems like an intelligent choice in the midst of a whole lot of variables, Staci. Hopefully you'll just get a show without much blow!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Top Dog

I'm in Lake Charles. It was windy yesterday and then died down, but it is starting to look pretty bad now. I can see the darker clouds on the horizon and the ones above us are moving fast. The wind is pretty hard and unpredictable. Isaac is on his way.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb