Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Top Dog

Default Ideas? or is my dog just strange

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OznG1SJ9gDo

Well I've tried everything and can't get the darned thing to "embed". Anyway, she just does this, she'll do it for several minutes at a time. Thoughts?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Behavior Nerd

I've never seen something like that go on so long and it would worry me that it was seizure activity because of that. :\ Can't you get her to stop mid-licking?

Aeri sometimes will lick for a few seconds if she gets a dog hair on her tongue or if you pet her a certain way, but never for more than 10-15 seconds and always with an obvious trigger.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I've never seen something like that go on so long and it would worry me that it was seizure activity because of that. :\ Can't you get her to stop mid-licking?

Aeri sometimes will lick for a few seconds if she gets a dog hair on her tongue or if you pet her a certain way, but never for more than 10-15 seconds and always with an obvious trigger.
That was my thought as well.

Tucker will do it for 10-15 seconds but it's usually if there's something stuck in his mouth like a hair or a piece of sand.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 08-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Ball Thrower

My dog does that if something smells good in the air. Like when I'm making corned beef hash, or frying beef. Also, if we are outside and someone is grilling.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

It looks like it could be a focal seizure to me (again, owing to how long it's continuing)....

Mammoth will do this sometimes if he has a headache, but it never lasts long and is easily redirected.

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 08-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Top Dog

Oh yes, she stops if I make her, but she'll start again when you turn your back. I highly doubt "seizures", but I'm not going to count out psychological, she is a bit OCD in other areas.

Would it make a difference to mention she has 12+ broken teeth? I didn't mention it at first just to see what you think. This is a photo set of the progression of damage to her teeth over months, it hasn't worsened I've noticed since I took away the tennis balls-
Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I'd be willing to bet it has something to do with the teeth!

Have you ever had a cavity filled? I know that I tend to touch uneven/rough spots in my mouth with my tongue until I get used to the "new" feeling of a filling.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 08-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
I'd be willing to bet it has something to do with the teeth!

Have you ever had a cavity filled? I know that I tend to touch uneven/rough spots in my mouth with my tongue until I get used to the "new" feeling of a filling.
No actually I haven't, yet, I've chipped a tooth though but it's nearly unnoticeable.

I figured it's more than likely her teeth, she'll do this too when she gets hair in her mouth after it's collected on her ball, but she'll also just sit there like when I made the video and do it. She started about a year ago I noticed, sometime she dips her head low, almost against her chest like she's trying to get something out of her mouth. I've been thinking if they got too bad I'll have to take her in sooner rather than later to have them fixed, but I don't know what they would do to fix them? I remember watching something on Animal planet years ago (breed all about it) where a GSD owner had his dogs teeth filed round while sedated to prevent them from doing serious damage while learning to herd, so I guess that could be an option? I know they feel weird when she puts them on you (she's a full out mouthy kisser, I love it, I know most people don't). But in the end, I'm highly against "tennis balls" now, and learned my lesson.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

My sister's dog has a broken canine and the vet said that when it gets worse it'll have to be pulled. I think that unless it's broken far enough to make the tooth start decaying it's not really an issue - I could be entirely wrong though, it's definitely something to ask a vet.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 08-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
My sister's dog has a broken canine and the vet said that when it gets worse it'll have to be pulled. I think that unless it's broken far enough to make the tooth start decaying it's not really an issue - I could be entirely wrong though, it's definitely something to ask a vet.
Exactly, and thus far it doesn't seem an issue to them, it's more an issue when I'm showing her than anything but at least they're still all there! But this behavior has had me scratching my head for a while, and I really wanted to know if there might be anything else to it, but it's looking more like it's her teeth.