Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Let it be

Default Barefoot shoes, I have a few questions

I own a pair of vibrams. I wear them all the time. I find my feet EXHAUSTED at the end of the day if I've been up and moving lots as well as wearing Briggs. Do your feet feel like that too? It feels as if I have sore muscles in my feet. It doesn't extend over to the next day nor do I get it in my normal runners.

Are my feet STILL getting used them? I wear them 6 days a week at least.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any advice? Should I try a different type of barefoot shoe or go to something else?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Tru evil has no pantyline

To me that is you body telling you that they are not the right shoes for you, especially if you are weight bearing.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 08-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Let it be

Thats what I'm wondering? They have however, gotten rid of all my knee and hip pain that I used to have. I have gained 20lbs this pregnancy and carry a 30lb toddler for at least 90 minutes a day. Usually longer at about 2.5 hours.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Top Dog

I have no idea... you're courageous to still wear Briggs though. My kids were lightweights and I pretty much stopped carrying them at that age.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Wookie Collie

I didn't wear my VFFs for entire day spans for at least the first few months. A few hours a day at most. I'd wear them while walking Finn or for my short shifts at work, and slowly built up my endurance.

Now I can wear them 6-8 hours with less soreness than regular shoes.

But my feet are also flat to a degree, so I knew I'd need extra time getting accustomed to the VFFs. Mileage may vary! What it sounds like to me is your foot muscles are getting the workout they aren't used to from being in normal shoes.

It's your call. How long have you had them? Some folks wait to see if the soreness clears, some decide VFFs are not for them. That said, if you're experiencing any lingering pain that isn't just muscle soreness, I would definitely stop.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 08-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Sport Model Pug

Did you ease yourself into use with them? If not, that could be the reason why you're hurting. You need to build up the strength in your feet and legs gradually or you can injure yourself as they use different muscles when moving than regular shoes.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Let it be

I've eased into them for sure. I bought them before I moved back to Vancouver and I've been back here since the middle of May... so I'm thinking I got them in late april. I gradually increased the amount I have been wearing them.

The issue I'm having is I get knee pain in every other shoes I've ever worn so I don't want to stop wearing them. I am wondering if I should switch half way through the day between my regular runners and my finger shoes?

I am not sore till later in the day. Usually the soreness sets in when I've been out and moving for over 5 or 6 hours and my feet feel fine once I sit down.

I've also never worn these not pregnant or without carrying the weight of Briggs so that may also makea difference.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
I've eased into them for sure. I bought them before I moved back to Vancouver and I've been back here since the middle of May... so I'm thinking I got them in late april. I gradually increased the amount I have been wearing them.

The issue I'm having is I get knee pain in every other shoes I've ever worn so I don't want to stop wearing them. I am wondering if I should switch half way through the day between my regular runners and my finger shoes?

I am not sore till later in the day. Usually the soreness sets in when I've been out and moving for over 5 or 6 hours and my feet feel fine once I sit down.

I've also never worn these not pregnant or without carrying the weight of Briggs so that may also makea difference.
The extra weight could certainly make a difference. Maybe try rotating footwear over the course of the day and see if it makes a difference?

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 08-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Sometimes that's just your body saying hey I'm tired. I'm not sure other shoes would prevent that?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Top Dog

4 months really isn't very long, especially if you wore regular shoes most of the time before. I went barefoot whenever possible, and I overdid myself running in them after 2 months. At about 6 months I felt like I was fully accustomed to them. I've had them a year now and I usually forget they even exist when I have them on. Part of that may be because I have walked through the soles in spots and they mostly don't exist, but...

I'd try to take a step back and very, very slowly work up to it again. Start with a couple hours a day and increase from there. Also, make sure you have the right size. I had size 41 women's to begin with and they made my feet a bit sore because they were just a tiny bit too small - they were almost unbearable if I wasn't standing/walking. The next pair was a size 41 men's and they are sooooo much more comfortable and don't make me sore at all.