Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-26-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm All Ears

Default How do you know...

If you've given your dog enough exercise?

I just did a 2 hour hike off leash with my two. It was a little warm but very humid so felt hot. We stopped at the end of the hike and Mia actually laid down and looked pretty satisfied. I was pretty sure she'd come home and sleep. Nope. Neither of them did. Summer's been hopping up and down off the couch and then chewing on a bully stick. And Mia is being ridiculously hyper like I haven't seen her in a long time. Donuts around the house at full speed and barking at everything...

I really don't see a correlation between exercise amount and how calm or hyper they are. The only time they're really pooped is after a full agility evening where they each get an hour of work and then are out at the field the rest of the evening.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Top Dog

Elsie isn't calmer or less active after (moderate) exercise, but when she's getting enough overall, she's less destructive and moody.

I've never tired her out with walking. The only times she's been zonked are after trials or 5+ hours of swimming + small children to wrangle.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Twin 2

I think of it more as taking the edge off so that their natural off switch has a fighting chance.

Other than training things, long swimming fetch, running through water in addition to hiking is the kind of trip/exercise that takes the most out of them. Makes them much more willing to settle.

But they have also learned that if they have gotten out and been run they will be calm in the Houser unless asked otherwise
Old 08-26-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm All Ears

Mia spends most of a hike going full blast if she's off leash. She likes to smell things and will be so far behind that she sprints half the time to catch up. There's also this pavilion that she loves running up and down the stairs.

After the hike since it was hot out, they were both panting and acting pretty satisfied. Summer seemed really tired. I was sure they were going to sleep some. Lol wrong.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Twin 2

Yeah, if Traveler and Didgie didn't swim I don't know what I would do.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:31 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Violet will conk out on the fireplace hearth. Believe it or not, it doesn't take THAT much to tire her out.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 08-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Glutton for Crazy

There is no such thing as enough for my malinois thb. I mean, it may send them into an annoyingly noisy panting frenzy but lay down, give up, take a rest tired? Naw, it's impossible unless you want a dangerously exhausted or heat stricken dog.

I can normally tire them out mentally though with challenging new trick or polishing manners training.

I do feel like they're not getting enough if they haven't had about 2 hours a day of something. The more the better but that seems to be the minimum for them.

The pit bulls can get by on almost nothing but the more the better, I watch mostly by their body composition and their interaction with one another. The less exercise they have the more snarky they can get with one another.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

Gusto is often more hyped up after a ton of exercise. He doesn't crash for an hour or so after we get home. We spent nearly 2 hours last night hiking off leash/swimming, and when I got home, he ran so fast over the armchair that he couldn't stop and slid right over the coffee table.

For the most part, I know he's had enough exercise when I don't want to throw him out the window

Old 08-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

I think as long as mine are out doing chores with me and get out for some mental stimulation they are good.

Blitz does kinda loose it if we have a ball throwing session or something and seems even more hyped up afterwards. We will go on a loooong walk were I will think about carrying byron(I think I'd die but its the thought that counts) because he is dragging so bad and I worry about him all the time with his age and hearing about dobes just dropping over dead, and blitz is still running circles around the poor old guy and biting at his paws like come on lets go!

None of mine are horribly obese or neurotic tail biters so I think we are good

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 08-26-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm All Ears

Well... an hour after posting this they're both asleep.

I really think the immediate aftermath just must hype them both up.

I try for two hours a day of something for them too, and at least 1 hour a day being something like off leash walking where they can go explore. The rest might be training or ball playing.

Summer could get by on nothing but I don't think it's fair to her.