Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Do you have emergency supplies in your home?
Yes! I have supplies to last at least a week or more. 9 39.13%
No, I go out and stock up right before a storm hits. 4 17.39%
I don't stock up....whatever happens, happens. 4 17.39%
Cinnamon Toast Crunch! 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2012, 09:21 AM
<--------Orson

Default Emergency preparedness

With the storm rolling in, I see people on my facebook posting funnies/comics about fighting over water/supplies at walmart and such. This got me thinking about different storms and natural disasters that occur and how people prepare for their coming.

A very good friend of mine has a nice emergency room in her basement. (we live in tornado zone) She has everything they need for at least a 30 day supply, including generator hooked up to run essentials, MRE's, water, etc. When there are tornadoes spotted in the area, they head down and get comfy. We joke that she's ready for the zombies!

We (sadly) do not have a basement. We do however have a super duper, mega duty constructed stairway with a closet underneath. Seriously, this isn't your average stair way construction. Anyway, we have food and water supplies stored here. We have about a 2 week supply (rationed) should there be an emergency. I'd like to increase this, but can't until we configure better storage shelving and such. That's coming SOON!

I don't think I'd want to be out 'fighting' or searching the town for supplies right before a big storm hits! I shop black fridays......how much MORE scary do people get when it's potentially life or death?

So, do you have emergency stores in your home?

*Poll coming* and I promies, this will be my last poll for the week!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:39 AM
swimming upstream

cinnamon toast crunch.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Top Dog

We've had one hurricane here in the 10 years I've been in the US. It was last year. I stocked up some (really, only 3-4 days of stuff), and we ended up sleeping in the basement because there was a tornado warning, because we happen to have mattresses there. We got one inch of water down there though in some places, and I ended up having an asthma attack because of the humidity.

So I guess we're not really prepared lol.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

we should have a stock pile , but i really dont have room, most of the time we leave any way.

this time i dont have the finances and the storm is so uncertain , we have decided to saty here unless it gets to a 3 then we are leaving.

i have a trunk that h s 3 days clothes for all 4 little kids and 2 days for chris and i. there are copies of all our important doc scanned onto a thumb drive with regular copies in there as well. list of each kids medical conditions (if any) and some little toys they have never seen.
We carry calebs meds in my purse .

so semi preped.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Behavior Nerd

We tend to keep the house stocked with stuff such that we'd be ok for a couple days without electricity, but not a full week.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Top Dog

Yes, I have enough food to last for a long time...more than a week easily. There are a lot of dry things that last for a long time and canned. I need to find a place to put stuff besides in my pantry and first aid things somewhere else, flashlights somewhere else etc. I even have a generator but it's not hard wired in. I keep meaning to get a bunch of jugs of water because I don't have any of that. If the plumbing were to go out, it is important to have lots of water on hand.

I have most things you'd need, but they're all scattered in various places around the house. I think one place, maybe in the garage would work when I get that organized with shelves etc. But in a disaster, one never knows whether you'd be able to get to the spot where you keep it. What would be cool would be an outside "bunker"...a hole in the yard (away from the house if the house would fall down in an earthquake, for instance) with stairs leading down to a safe space....all concrete reinforced, climate controlled, all set up fo living for a month or so. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Top Dog

Er no but we have lots of guns And a generator.

Seriously though the basement has spiders in it.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 08-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
. What would be cool would be an outside "bunker"...a hole in the yard (away from the house if the house would fall down in an earthquake, for instance) with stairs leading down to a safe space....all concrete reinforced, climate controlled, all set up fo living for a month or so. LOL.
I would love a bunker , but around here it would float out of the ground.

i have always been jealous of peeps with basements . i want one so bad .
Old 08-27-2012, 12:42 PM
<--------Orson

The friend that I mentioned has a brother who owns a construction company. The basement emergency room I mentioned?....she paid him to REALLY give it the works. It's partitioned off with steel caging and bars. Complete with locks, and is just as much a panic room as an emergency shelter. VERY COOL and I'd really rather have her room than an outdoor bunker!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:50 PM
We are Home.

Enough for a few days. But i have a grill and a weeks worth of meat. f we go more then a week without electric Im leaving anyway. I dont evac unless its a STRONG 3 or above though. During hurricane season I also keep minimal frozen, cooled food. A weeks amount is about it.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie