Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
My foster girl tried some guardy stuff for the first week or so here - I initially just left her immediate area when she tried it (at the first sign, not after a full snark) and when that didn't seem to make an impression, I switched to matter-of-factly taking her into another room or to her crate for time out. The time outs have worked incredibly well and she's no longer guarding me.

The rule here is basically "you guard me, you lose me".
This works really well here, too. Pip resource guards me, and trying to intervene with interrupters/attention or recall definitely escalates tension and was part of what triggered a bad "fight" (quotes because Squash didn't really fight back) last summer.

Although there was more going on between them than simply resource guarding, just turning my back and walking away diffuses any tense encounter between them almost instantly. A behaviorist described it to me as... I am a social facilitator for both dogs, and with my attention on the situation they both felt more emboldened to to things they wouldn't otherwise have done. Anyway, just something to try.