Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
NO! Do you have any idea how long it took me to dress them in little outfits???
Okay, I snorted.

Knox would like to volunteer to help hunt mink. He thinks he'd be very good at it. Or is he supposed to be bad at it? Or just sit on the couch, because he'd really like to eat them, thankyouverymuch.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
While I do shockingly support hunting with dogs, my rat terrier is from a hunting kennel & my last foster was placed with a hunter, I would love to see one discussion go by on this topic without dramatically throwing around PeTA as if anyone who dares question hunting is instantly a full fledged member of ALF.

I never started "dramatically" throwing around PETA. But it's quite the slippery slope, and even more so when what one person wants doesn't affect them personally...just others.

And I don't mind questiong hunting. I don't like hearing assumptions about what hunters "really" think or feel or do, especially when one has never hunted before.

You know, I know some people who believe hunting hogs with dogs is more humane because it puts the hog on equal playing field, with the hog always having the opportunity to escape.

Also, do you really believe my dogs exist solely for their looks? Have you seen how ugly some of my dogs are?

Nope. And I don't think your dogs are ugly.

Have you tried mental stimulation? Training sessions, work to eat toys, scenting, etc, IMO with hyperactive high drive malinois the more physical exercise you give the more of a monster you create, the more balanced approach of mental and physical exercise (which would be met with hunting as previously done I assume) the more relaxed the dogs become (okay, this is theoretical for Backup, he's never been calm).

I've always done obedience work at home, and some with a local trainer. He passed away a few years ago, and since my number of dogs has dwindled over the years as they've advanced in age, I never bothered to find another. And I used to keep a freezer full of stuffed whatevers, and keep toys around that kept them entertained and thinking (although none of my APBTs were going to be the next Newton or Einstein).
My replies in red.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
There are a lot of things that you can do with your dog that fits between nothing and hunting hogs that will be just as, if not more, mentally stimulating.
But if there's no need, why would or should we?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
But if there's no need, why would or should we?

You were talking about how frustrated he was living as just a pet, so I guess I wrongly assumed that maybe you would want to do something to relieve the frustration if hunting isn't an option at this point.

My Malinois and AmStaf haven't been content to be just house dogs going for walks, so I do stuff with them to give them outlets for that frustration.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Felurian

Quote:
the breed attracts undesirable people to own it. I'm not trying to judge people, but when I see a pit bull walking down the street, 9 times out of 10 they don't appear to be upstanding citizens.
Hey! I might resemble that remark! I just got back from a 2+ mile walk with Tallulah

And now I'm trying to catch up on this thread before I take Kharma for one.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I recommend the kong wobblers, they're tough enough for my pit bulls and can hold 2 cups of kibble which can take 15-20 minutes to empty and gives you some peace.

I've shockingly been on more than one hunt, of varying pests. I also have some close friends who are hunters. I don't think it's the life for me, I had my chance to look around in it as a kid and it never stuck as something I wanted to do. I get softer as I age too, I doubt I could stomach it anyway.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Yes, if the purpose is to eradicate pests, why are we worrying about playing fair? If you have a rodent or insect infestation, is fairness a consideration?

A lot of people bring up the whole "around people" thing. I'll admit, I've never gone hog hunting. But, I've watched lots of videos and looked at a lot of photographs and they all look pretty remote. People hunt other animals (not a big hog problem here other than recent escapees) near homes and small towns here in Iowa. Is a hog that much faster than a deer? I find that hard to believe.

There seems to be a lot of excuses being made in favor of the intrepid and traditional method of hunting hogs that just don't make logical sense. If people can hunt deer and bear just as close to civilization, why not hogs? If people manage to bowhunt hogs, what makes killing them so difficult with a gun?
you are absolutely right eradication has nothing to do with being fair. but the most effective means are not always legal. typically w/ a bad infestation of hogs you do two things first.
trap-ideally w/ a repeating trap but cages & snares for the ones that figure out how to jump or climb out of the repeaters
bait & shoot- usually only works a couple of times before survivors stop coming to the bait AND teach their shoats to avoid it too. the ideal bait & shoot uses $5000-10000 kahles night scopes, low intensity red or amber spotlights and silenced rifles or dampened large bore PCP pnuematic rifles. unfortunately in a most of localities only the federal USDA guys are allowed to spotlight or use silenced rifles or pnuematic rifles even for hogs. for example in northern AZ near st george UT is a feral hog population. i can use the spotlight but NOT if i have any kind of projectile weapon on my person or in my vehicle.which leaves spotlighting w/ dogs
but hogs are extremely smart and when you've trapped & shot all you can you switch to dogs. you start w/1 bay dog and fast shooting accurate carbine preferably 30 caliber or larger. but eventually they learn not to stop running & fighting, so you add more hard baydogs that can stop them and will run split races & catch dogs you can turn out from the truck (like a leggy bulldog w/ a lot of bottom and no DA). then finally you switch to running catchdogs that can also find their own.

OTH not all hog hunting is really eradication even if they try to call it that, it's still just sport & everyone has different ideas of what is sporting. for me it isn't sporting unless the animal has a chance of killing me back, so i hunt hogs & deer w/ a knife & bear w/a spear (and plan to go to a knife when i am more comfortable).
Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I recommend the kong wobblers, they're tough enough for my pit bulls and can hold 2 cups of kibble which can take 15-20 minutes to empty and gives you some peace.
Just be careful with those. My stupid dog slings it all over the house and it slammed into an end table with some photos on it, they all came falling off the table and a lot of the glass in the frames broke. The wobbler's an outside toy now.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Felurian

Quote:
I agree with Adrianne. While I can't say that there is nothing wrong with the breed, a quick look around tells you otherwise, I fear that the breed is stuck, and likely doomed. I see a lot of gamebred dogs that are so ridiculously soft, if not outright shy, and wonder what is the purpose of such a dog? A dog like that can sometimes make a nice pet if it never leaves the property, but the fact that its hell on other dogs doesn't necessarily translate to being able to persevere against adversity outside the box.

What is the purpose of a dog that can fight another with great skill, but can do nothing else? But then when fanciers start getting into obedience, agility, IPO, etc, they are changing/ruining the breed. I say, if the breed is going to survive, it needs to adapt. There was nothing "wrong" with our hunter/gatherer ancestors, but we had to evolve. So does the APBT. The alternative is extinction.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
Thank you for this. This is exactly the argument I've found myself making regarding the Fila and why I have worked so hard with Kharma to prove that they CAN adapt to life in the modern world -- and enjoy a great life in many environments. There are quite a few breeders and their adherents out there who firmly believe that anyone who has keeps a Fila anyplace but a remote farm is Satan incarnate.

The APBT and Fila breeds are so different, but in a weird way advocates for both face an eerily similar fight.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdog View Post
Just be careful with those. My stupid dog slings it all over the house and it slammed into an end table with some photos on it, they all came falling off the table and a lot of the glass in the frames broke. The wobbler's an outside toy now.

Our is outside, too. It's Stan's favorite, and it hasn't had food in it for months. I need to get him an egg.