Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I would love it, dog park all to myself! Woot!

Seriously though when I used the DP to socialize my mal pups I definitely left when I saw certain dogs.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Top Dog

I completely understand the mentality behind it...

Of course I just can't help being a little saddened when it's my dogs they are leaving because of! Lol.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Keeva has been the target of so much predatory drift that I'm pretty **** wary now. She's been chomped by a Dane and had a few close encounters with GSDs... (at a DOG SHOW of all places! Argh!) GSDs make me very nervous around small dogs, tbh. They seem realy prone to prey drive towards small dogs, and Keeva just seems to bring that out of dogs. I think she's too fast and too low to the ground, she looks like a little wild thing.

I mean, I don't go to the fenced in type dog parks anyway as they're not appropriate for either of my dogs. I only do open trails/lakes, so in that case, I would probably just keep moving and keep a watchful eye. But you're certainly not the only one, Brittany.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I really don't like the way gsd play, it's very disconcerting. It's unfortunate because we get several who love to play.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Top Dog

I've always had issues with Huskies. They tend to be very flighty and high strung and dominant, IMO.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I really don't like the way gsd play, it's very disconcerting.
My friend has a GSD and I feel the same way. He put a hole through Piper's ear once, completely unprovoked (she literally just walked past him and he launched at her). He's either play bowing and doing fine, or snapping at another dog, there's not much middle ground with him.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Top Dog

I live in the house with 7 dogs. 5 APBT two of which are females and three are males, intact, the females are spayed. I also have a Boxer/APBT mix, male who is nuetered and a Shepard/Lab female spayed.

4 of the APBT are kin (momma & 3 babies) all the other dogs were brought in at a later time.

The "family" of APBT have always gotten along peachy. The other 3 who were brought in, are welcomed of course (after MUCH training due to the DA) however they are not "included" in the closeness the originals share. And there have been 7 total for many years.

If you are wanting same sex, or more then one, I suggest selecting siblings from a pups age.

DA is very common in this breed, so is prey drive. I have indeed seen it, but have never had success in the mixture of APBT and livestock. I have had horrible experiences personally with this issue even after an APBT had been raised with goats. They were so close they would keep each other warm on cold nights, and the dog literally grazed on hay with the goats for a year......then "it" happened

Anyways, good luck on your choice, but to even own an APBT for any reason, please educate yourself to the max first. Lord knows we neeed NO more bad rap!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
I've always had issues with Huskies. They tend to be very flighty and high strung and dominant, IMO.

I agree. The 3 breeds I typically don't let him play with too much... GSDs, Huskies and Pit Bulls. I don't like their play styles, specifically around smaller guys. It freaks me out, even if it is JUST play, when they do the stalking, staring, prey drive thing. My uncles GSD has done it a few times. But in general, I notice the most problems in the dog park with those 3 breeds.

And Barbara, I know that's why I don't make it obvious. I feel terrible... I definitely don't want to seem like THAT person. I mean, one day there was a very friendly pittie hanging out there, and I did not feel the need to rush out or anything... his body language was fine, he was super laid back, and not caring about the other dogs much anyways. Or when I first get there, we go to the small dog side and I scope out the other side first. If all seems well, and goes well, for like 10 minutes or so, we head over there. I never used to think this way until joining dog forums! lol ... then when I started reading some things that even Pit bull owners would say, I started getting a bit worried.

Jackson is just not so big into the play style of those breeds either. I used to think I wanted a GSD, but after being with my uncles girl a lot, I realize it would not mesh at ALL with Jackson. He really doesn't like her- and he loves almost all dogs. He gets along fabulously with the herders (his BFF is this Aussie, they just run and run and run)... he loves to be chased or chase in kind of a non-threatening way. I think the bully body slams etc, freak him out, haha. But with other small terriers, he plays very loudly, and very rough, so I think it just depends.

Brit & Jackson

Old 08-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Top Dog

Judge plays well with others he is properly introduced too. He has never went after a dog unprovoked. I think it depends on the GSD.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
Judge plays well with others he is properly introduced too. He has never went after a dog unprovoked. I think it depends on the GSD.
Definitely true! I met an AWESOME boy one time at a different dog park.

Come to think of it, all the GSD's that seem to come to the one dog park I visit more frequent are females? ... I dunno if that makes a difference or not.

Brit & Jackson