Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
Yes. I love Doxies, but they are usually d-bags... the most common breed to bite in fact!

Corgis are just sassy. Big difference between sassy and aggressive!
Sass? Not in the house, he's just a plain a.. hole. Yes, there is a difference between sass and aggression, watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUA9AZ40dBc

Also, he wants a quiet dog? Nope, not a Corgi, period! I can get you a video for that too, or just browse them from that link. Trust me, the one dog my brother hates more than anything on this planet, the Corgi, why? Well it's all his fault be he wont admit to it, but he and Jinj have a... "special" relationship.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Lol. For the record I play WoW, laze around when I can, and I have BORDER COLLIES. They do encourage me to spend time outside, but it's not like I began jogging when I got them.

Trying to cure a WoW addict with a dog is a bad idea. If he is really into the game- he might forget to feed his dogs, or let them out, or not realize that they just peed on the floor. I can make myself stop playing when I have a puppy in the house, like I have now- I probably won't start again until after Fiona's litter is born. But, I'm just saying, it's not a great idea to bring a dog into a situation where it will likely be ignored.

Also, I don't mean to be rude, and maybe you've already answered this- is his gaming actually negatively affecting his life (I.E. doesn't have a job and needs rent, not going to school, etc)? Because although it seems "wrong" for someone to play games all day- its their business, it's his life. Unless it is affecting his well being, why does it matter?

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 08-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
He wants something:

Playful yet un-hyper
Health issue free (relatively)
Lap/bed ornament like
Very affectionate/cuddly
Something that doesn't require a huge amount of work to be a good pet
Very eager to please/can learn tricks quickly
I have had many chihuahuas through rescue/foster situation and they pretty much describe the above.
They are playful yet not terrier hyper (no typically).
They are a lap/bed ornament.
They are very affectionate to their specific owners.
They don't require a whole lot to be a good pet other then house breaking (although I've had a lot of luck with the chihuahuas that I've fostered/rescued, they have house broken easily)
They can learn tricks fairly easily because they love to please their people.
They are generally fairly healthy especially if aquired from an adequate breeder.
They can be aggressive if you spoil them but if you treat them like dogs they are actually pretty fantastic little pets.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I know Dachshunds were brought up, and Gracie actually fits that mold to a T. She is very well mannered, quiet, total lap dog, requires no effort whatsoever and would spend the entire day sleeping if she was able. But, I don't know how typical she is to most Dachshunds.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I know Dachshunds were brought up, and Gracie actually fits that mold to a T. She is very well mannered, quiet, total lap dog, requires no effort whatsoever and would spend the entire day sleeping if she was able. But, I don't know how typical she is to most Dachshunds.
See, that's exactly how Noods is! He's absolutely FINE sleeping under a blanket all day, but he can get some really cute play moments too with his squeakies! He also will steal Enda's toys and runs around and around between the living room and kitchen. He'll go for car ride, or just wait under than blanket till you get home and "You're here! You're here!" then back to quiet. Again though, Noods is a rehome-rehome-rehome-rehome, job.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Twin 2

I thought Shih Tzu too when I read that. I've really liked all them that I've met, they seemed like happy, good natured, out going little dogs. They've also almost all been owned by little old ladies that do really well with them it seems.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I thought Shih Tzu too when I read that. I've really liked all them that I've met, they seemed like happy, good natured, out going little dogs. They've also almost all been owned by little old ladies that do really well with them it seems.
Yeah, the one that my step bro and sil have really has a fantastic temperament and puts up with being dragged all over creation by unsupervised kids without so much as a raised lip.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Animal Lover

Does he live in an apartment? I am not sure about a dachshund being quiet while left alone. They are super sweet dogs the ones I have met any way but all of them barked a lot that I have met. Of course, dogs bark but I find their barks a bit annoying. If he doesn't live in an apartment, forgive me. I like the long-haired dachshunds opposed to the short haired ones. Not for looks but they seem to have a more laid back disposition than the short haired ones I have met. I am not sure if he wants a long-haired dog though!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Blackout

First of all - I'm not trying to cure him, second - I'd rather he not have a dog or puppy at all; but he is insisting so we might as well make the best of it.

We both are still at home with our parents - if anyone is moving out first it's probably going to be me. In a couple of years hopefully I'll be able to.

It is negatively affecting his life - his vision is shot, he's borderline morbidly obese, he doesn't work and isn't motivated to find a job. I'm fine with people playing these games as a hobby and if that's what they like to do then so be it. But he's very inconsiderate - he has the speakers on his computer on at FULL BLAST while playing at all hours of the night, he doesn't pick up after himself in the "public" areas of the house (kitchen, living room, tv room etc), and he doesn't have any regard or respect for anyone else at home in general (ok I don't chalk that up to the gaming wholly). He's a douchhe and I wouldn't be really giving much of a sh!t about him right now if the future of a dog wasn't at stake.

Those bunny hunting dogs look pretty interesting - probably not for my brother though. And chihuahua's...he might consider a long haired one. He's not crazy about the shih tzu's.

Well we visited the SPCA and another shelter today - mostly larger dogs than he had in mind at the SPCA; there was a Akbash/Dalmatian cross there though....(not a pretty sight). At the other shelter he did see rather cute adult male Yorkie - said Yorkie has a gimpy left hind leg though, a heart murmur, and is spooked by/fear aggressive with big dogs. Needless to say we had to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
Lol. For the record I play WoW, laze around when I can, and I have BORDER COLLIES. They do encourage me to spend time outside, but it's not like I began jogging when I got them.

Trying to cure a WoW addict with a dog is a bad idea. If he is really into the game- he might forget to feed his dogs, or let them out, or not realize that they just peed on the floor. I can make myself stop playing when I have a puppy in the house, like I have now- I probably won't start again until after Fiona's litter is born. But, I'm just saying, it's not a great idea to bring a dog into a situation where it will likely be ignored.

Also, I don't mean to be rude, and maybe you've already answered this- is his gaming actually negatively affecting his life (I.E. doesn't have a job and needs rent, not going to school, etc)? Because although it seems "wrong" for someone to play games all day- its their business, it's his life. Unless it is affecting his well being, why does it matter?
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygirl View Post
I have had many chihuahuas through rescue/foster situation and they pretty much describe the above.
They are playful yet not terrier hyper (no typically).
They are a lap/bed ornament.
They are very affectionate to their specific owners.
They don't require a whole lot to be a good pet other then house breaking (although I've had a lot of luck with the chihuahuas that I've fostered/rescued, they have house broken easily)
They can learn tricks fairly easily because they love to please their people.
They are generally fairly healthy especially if aquired from an adequate breeder.
They can be aggressive if you spoil them but if you treat them like dogs they are actually pretty fantastic little pets.
Yep, yep, yep! And more yep! Chihuahuas are a great breed.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson