Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Most people in the city have like, this huge fear of testicles and girly bits. Like if you wait too long, they're going to f*cking EXPLODE everywhere. I laugh, but it makes me sad when everyone blames natural bits for causing problems with behavior like jumping and mouthing. "Oh, he's seven months old? Intact???! And he's herding the children? MUST BE HIS BALLS!!!"
UGH I KNOW RIGHT? No, you do not get to blame your dog's completely non-sexual behavior on his testicles. THAT IS PATENTLY RIDICULOUS.

I threatened to cut Keeva's balls off daily. Nobody told that bitch that girls aren't supposed to hump legs or mark stuff.

ETA: Also Keeva was in lobby briefly with me when she was in heat last, and somebody asked about her panties. When I said she was in heat, the client's face was like . I can only imagine the thoughts racing through her head. "Emily's little Keeva isn't FIXED?! OMG!!!"

Old 08-25-2012, 11:12 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
ETA: Also Keeva was in lobby briefly with me when she was in heat last, and somebody asked about her panties. When I said she was in heat, the client's face was like . I can only imagine the thoughts racing through her head. "Emily's little Keeva isn't FIXED?! OMG!!!"
LOL rosey and i are going swimming tomorrow at an indoor pool... i wont lie, but if they dont ask, im not telling, when it comes to her being intact

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 PM
retriever crazy

jayson was neutered at 18 months he has behavioral issues i was hoping would be fixed from neutering but he still has the issues. he also has the empty sack swinging around next dog i get will not be fixed.

D.O.B 11/27/10
D.O.B 08/09/12
Old 08-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Let it be

I never understood that either. That'd be like me blaming my cats love for scratching my couch on his balls. It has nothing to do with it. :/
Old 08-25-2012, 11:41 PM
orange iguanas.

I don't have an issue at all with metabolism and whatnot with my dogs. Lucy has a little extra padding, but she eats all the things and really doesn't get exercise. But even she is not a sausage and she easily loses weight if minimal effort is put into it.
As for Juno... yeah her body does not know what fat is. She's pretty much solid muscle.

I wouldn't look at a chunky dog and think "if only he were intact." It might be a small factor but would definitely never cross my mind when making the decision to neuter or not.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 08-26-2012, 06:16 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Most people in the city have like, this huge fear of testicles and girly bits. Like if you wait too long, they're going to f*cking EXPLODE everywhere. I laugh, but it makes me sad when everyone blames natural bits for causing problems with behavior like jumping and mouthing. "Oh, he's seven months old? Intact???! And he's herding the children? MUST BE HIS BALLS!!!"
And alsotoo, my dog is not going to impregnate any bitches with his mind. He's not running at large. He's not in contact with girls in heat. IT WILL ALL BE OK.

I got such a lecture about Steve being intact at the dog club once after Steve bit somebody's big black labby mix who was off leash when she shouldn't have been and rushed him where he was sitting in between my legs behaving himself. He had no out. He is scared of and does not like big dogs. He will bite dogs who get in his face. Sorry. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS TESTICLES. It had everything to do with that lady's irresponsible handling of her dog. Oh I was so mad.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:43 AM
Top Dog

Both of my dogs were kept intact a bit longer than "normal", so maybe that is why they haven't had real issues with weight gain. Gusto is still a bundle of bones and muscle without an ounce of fat. Meg was in hard condition for a lot of years. She's not quite as fit now, and is maybe a pound heavier, but she's also nearly 8 and a bit less active than she used to be. I've known obese intact dogs, lean neutered dogs, and everything in between. I definitely think they burn more calories when intact, and of course male hormones in particular promote more muscle mass. I wouldn't use it as a sole reason to keep a dog intact (not that anyone here said that), because I know I can manage their weight/fitness other ways as well.

I agree that intact dogs get a lot of bad behavior blamed on their status, but I get equally frustrated by those who claim it has *zero* affect on behavior. Of course hormones affect behavior. I can give you a visual demonstration every four weeks or so . Or you are welcome to come visit Tristan, who is currently on anabolic steroids - basically male hormones. My delightful, sweet "I'd give a 6 year old this lead rope and know they are safe" horse now gets a shank for handling, has to go only in a certain paddock, and I can safely lead him to the hay meadow for grazing maybe 2 times out of 5. The other times I have a horse putting his front feet in my face.

Particularly with late neuters, some dogs may already have learned behaviors that aren't going to go away without work. And some dogs may just be jerks regardless of hormone status.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Both of my dogs were kept intact a bit longer than "normal", so maybe that is why they haven't had real issues with weight gain. Gusto is still a bundle of bones and muscle without an ounce of fat. Meg was in hard condition for a lot of years. She's not quite as fit now, and is maybe a pound heavier, but she's also nearly 8 and a bit less active than she used to be. I've known obese intact dogs, lean neutered dogs, and everything in between. I definitely think they burn more calories when intact, and of course male hormones in particular promote more muscle mass. I wouldn't use it as a sole reason to keep a dog intact (not that anyone here said that), because I know I can manage their weight/fitness other ways as well.

I agree that intact dogs get a lot of bad behavior blamed on their status, but I get equally frustrated by those who claim it has *zero* affect on behavior. Of course hormones affect behavior. I can give you a visual demonstration every four weeks or so . Or you are welcome to come visit Tristan, who is currently on anabolic steroids - basically male hormones. My delightful, sweet "I'd give a 6 year old this lead rope and know they are safe" horse now gets a shank for handling, has to go only in a certain paddock, and I can safely lead him to the hay meadow for grazing maybe 2 times out of 5. The other times I have a horse putting his front feet in my face.

Particularly with late neuters, some dogs may already have learned behaviors that aren't going to go away without work. And some dogs may just be jerks regardless of hormone status.
I agree.

Brit & Jackson

Old 08-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

If you've ever struggled with a dog's weight, when the dog has no thyroid issue, is eating a very small amount of extremely high quality food, and getting tons of exercise, you might look at her and think "if only you were intact." If you haven't, then just count your lucky stars.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm All Ears

Beau was 6 when he was neutered and he ballooned up FAST. He was always just pure muscle on bones and he ate about 3 times as much as the other dogs. He's got a very intense kind of energy, just constantly going even now. He was also the only male we have had that marked everything and humped everything. He was always in GREAT shape and it was without much effort at all. This may be TMI but his balls were huge compared to dogs of similar size (like Bernard). The vet commented on it a few times he came in.

Neutered at 6 and his metabolism slowed WAY WAY down. His desire to hump and mark also slowed way down. But he now eats 1/4th a cup like the others to stay fit. My dad kept feeding him 3/4ths a cup like before and he got huge and obese.

I always wonder if he had excess testosterone or something. He just had so many troubles the other intact boys we had didn't. Nard eats 1/4th a cup and is intact. The girls we got spayed late and didn't balloon up like he did.