Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-27-2012, 09:48 PM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
You know all the girl dogs are laughing at him!!!
Poor Fozz won't get any play from Keeva. :,(

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 08-27-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm All Ears

I wonder if spay coat depends on what you start off with. Once again, Summer has a nice coat post spay but it is longer than when she was intact. But the texture is nice and she doesn't collect burs.

Mia... she has a very soft, downy coat and everything sticks to it. I spent a long time yesterday afternoon pulling out seeds from her run off into the forest chasing a rabbit venture yesterday. On the plus side, she's much better for cuddles.

Then again I do wonder if it goes back to Summer having puppies before being spayed.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I wonder if spay coat depends on what you start off with. Once again, Summer has a nice coat post spay but it is longer than when she was intact. But the texture is nice and she doesn't collect burs.

Mia... she has a very soft, downy coat and everything sticks to it. I spent a long time yesterday afternoon pulling out seeds from her run off into the forest chasing a rabbit venture yesterday. On the plus side, she's much better for cuddles.

Then again I do wonder if it goes back to Summer having puppies before being spayed.
Yeah, I don't deny that are multiple factors for sure, and some dogs don't change much at all. But pre-spay Macky's coat with promising to be closer to what Ollie's looks like. Now it's like someone glued cotton balls on her legs. -_- *sigh* But Cockers are notorious for bad altered coats.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
Poor Fozz won't get any play from Keeva. :,(
Hey, never say never! She likes dogs that are shaped like she is.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:58 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey08 View Post
Also, ITA on education. I was surprised that vets I know well, quite like and generally trust recommended that I spay Gracie at 6 months. A lot of people cite mammary cancer (and pyo) as reasons to spay -- but she's at a much higher risk for hemangiosarcoma and lymphosarcoma, and staying intact for longer potentially lessens those risks.
Man, if I had a Golden girlie, I'd be awfully heartsick over whether or not to spay. On the one hand, I'm scared to death of pyo. On the other, freaking hemangio, especially cardiac hemangio. And speutering increases the risk of that by a significant amount, especially in a breed where it's depressingly common.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Sport Model Pug

I've always wondered about that leggier thing. By far the leggiest dog in this house is Izzie and she went through two (or maybe three?) heats before being spayed. Chai went through one and is the least leggy, and Ruby was spayed right at 6 months before a heat and is medium. Chai also has a thicker head and heavier bone/muscle and Izzie is the leanest. Izzie has a bit of saggy belly skin though.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 08-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I wish izzy was spayed before her heats, a 20" pug would be awesome.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I wish izzy was spayed before her heats, a 20" pug would be awesome.
She only has 7" to go! Stretch, pug, stretch! Or maybe she could wear lifts in her shoes.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Top Dog

I saw a lot of different ages for spaying/neutering working at the clinic but nothing really of note. The yorkie breeder we saw a lot had most (if not all) of her male puppies neutered before they went to new homes at 14 weeks old; because the #1 reason for return was marking in the house. We often times had 3-4 male pups in on one day.

As for my own dogs... Buzz was neutered at 28 months old because there was absolutely no way we could guarantee he wouldn't impregnate Bailey... as a baby! She was 8 months old when he was neutered. She was spayed very soon after her first heat as we realized we also weren't equipped to deal with an intact female responsibly.

I've often speculated that part of the reason Bailey is so structurally poor is that she was spayed in the middle of the puppy uglies and just never came out of them. The other very real possibility is that she just got the crapsh!t genes from a complete outcross breeding. I'll never know I guess. She's looked like a gangly teenager her whole life, I just used to hide it with a lot of hair.

And on the coat front, I thought she had really bad spay coat but it was pretty much just that I didn't know how to work with it. Her coat was actually really easy to manage once I figured that out. Now I just shave her completely down most of the time
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
I've always wondered about that leggier thing. By far the leggiest dog in this house is Izzie and she went through two (or maybe three?) heats before being spayed. Chai went through one and is the least leggy, and Ruby was spayed right at 6 months before a heat and is medium. Chai also has a thicker head and heavier bone/muscle and Izzie is the leanest. Izzie has a bit of saggy belly skin though.
It's not so much being leggy as the proportions are different. Obviously plenty of dogs are leggy, altered or not and some breeds are defined by being leggy (sighthounds?). But the angulation and porportions tend to be different with dogs altered before maturity. I think it's pretty well known that early altering does affect the growth plates. I guess the question is if people think it matters or not?

Also how early is early depends a lot on the breed/size of dog. A toy breed dog at 4 months is much closer to adult size than say a GSD at 4 months. Ziggy was neutered at 7 or 8 months and is fairly developed but doesn't really have the body of a male Cardi. He was almost his full height already at 8 months though.

Before early altering of dogs was an issue, I had ferrets and saw first hand the differences between early and late alters. Both with pet store ferrets (which are altered at 3-4 weeks) and privately bred ferrets which most pet owners alter by 6 months but that can be easily compared to siblings who are not altered. What I observed in the ferrets was that male pet store ferrets almost never look like male ferrets. Not really. Petstore ferrets tend to be less muscular and "finer" looking, even ones that are fairly large. In privately bred siblings, the altered ones in pet homes neutered before 6 months look just a bit "better" in terms of body and masculine features than pet store ferrets but still compared to their intact siblings, the difference is quite obvious. And once neutered no matter what age, male ferrets lose quite a bit of bulk and masculine features. But looks aren't the only thing that early altering (or in some cases altering at all) has an effect on with ferrets. It also sets them up to have Adrenal Disease, one of the most common ferret diseases. So when early altering of puppies was becoming widely accepted all I could think was "this can't be any better for dogs than it is for ferrets".

And I had to laugh at some of the comments about cats. My first cat was intact until he was 2 or 3 and only neutered because I rescued a female cat who had a female kitten and I didn't want to spay the kitten too young The kitten went to live with a friend and was spayed at 9 months I think? The mom cat stayed intact for a couple years too, until going to live with the same friend. These cats never, ever went outside and had no desire to.